Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, rico said:

The Rose Bowl in Indy?

That would be cool.   With the Rose bowl as part of the playoffs it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think there were 42 Bowls originally this year.  So far only the Redbox Bow has been cancelled.  Four Bowl games are tied to conferences that cancelled their seasons(MAC, MWC and PAC12).  So they will have to figure out teams if they play them.

Doing some math... If all 41 Bowls are played only 8 teams playing this season won't make a bowl.  That's assuming a record lower than .500 is eligible.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

A ninth game will match up the the East and West teams that finish in the same spots.  Unfortunately they will try to avoid rematches, so IU vs. PU not likely to play twice.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/revised-iu-football-schedule-to-include-ninth-game-vs-west-team-that-finishes-in-same-spot/

I can't see Purdue finishing first in the West anyway.  

3 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

A ninth game will match up the the East and West teams that finish in the same spots.  Unfortunately they will try to avoid rematches, so IU vs. PU not likely to play twice.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/revised-iu-football-schedule-to-include-ninth-game-vs-west-team-that-finishes-in-same-spot/

I was just coming here to post about the +9.  I like the idea.  Personally though, I'm glad they are going to try to avoid rematches.  

B1G leadership didn't come up with this idea to go forward with a season. They just caved to the pressure of the players, coaches, and fans. They really thought the other major conferences would follow along and cancel everything and when that didn't happen they looked very weak. They could not justify shutting it down the rest of the year as others moved ahead and started playing.

Keep in mind, people in leadership positions are not necessarily smart or good at what they do. Many of the hires at the top of the ladder at these universities are political and the reality is they don't make many of the big decisions. Instead, each institution, and the conference, have an army of lawyers who make the decisions. Why? Because it is all about limiting liability. 

The reason so many poor decisions are made, including the B1Gs original decisions to not have football games in 2020, is because the presidents and those in charge turn to the lawyers for everything. Understand, lawyers are not good managers. They are good at identifying how to avoid being blamed and avoiding lawsuit. Lawyers are not the best among us at running anything. Look at Washington and the political class made up of lawyers as a great example. They are not the brightest. They are not capable of viewing anything outside the prism of risk and litigation. Leadership is not a skill they naturally possess. Their only concern in this whole process was to keep B1G presidents and their institutions from being sued. Today's decision is proof.

With games officially starting Oct 23/24th, I thought it would be interesting to look at the "previous" or most recent football schedule (just before the BIGTEN shut things down.....) Will it be very similar, minus the two games? If so, who which two schools will be taken out. Or,.....Do they put together a completely different schedule of teams? There would have been a bye after Ohio St. and one after Michigan St. 

Date           Time   At        Opponent                    Location                                 Tournament   Result   

Sep 4 (Fri)    TBA    Away      Wisconsin                   Madison, Wis.                                         Postponed

Sep 12 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Penn State                  Bloomington, Ind.                                     Postponed

Sep 19 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Illinois                    Bloomington, Ind.                                     Postponed

Sep 26 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Ohio State                  Columbus, Ohio                                        Postponed

Oct 10 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Minnesota                   Minneapolis, Minn.                                    Postponed

Oct 17 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Michigan                    Bloomington, Ind.                                     Postponed

Oct 24 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Maryland                    Bloomington, Ind.                                     Postponed

Oct 31 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Rutgers                     Piscataway, N.J.                                      Postponed

Nov 7 (Sat)    TBA    Away      Michigan State              East Lansing, MI                                      Postponed

Nov 21 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Purdue                      Bloomington, Ind.                                     Postponed

Dec 5 (Sat)    TBA    Neutral   Big Ten Championship Game   Indianapolis, Ind. (Lucas Oil Stadium)                Postponed

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The way I'm reading and catching up is for the 9th game it would be 1 plays 1 2 plays 2,etc....so we could be in 4th place in East behind OSU, Michigan, and Penn St and get 4th place East team? Think I typed that correctly.

So.. .you could play the same team twice. Smh

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Its time to open the games up to fans. 90% , just a guess, of students at IU have had covid already. IU has ripped these kids off for at least one semester, give them a game before they go home.

I read where there will be no fans except for maybe family of the players

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The way I'm reading and catching up is for the 9th game it would be 1 plays 1 2 plays 2,etc....so we could be in 4th place in East behind OSU, Michigan, and Penn St and get 4th place East team? Think I typed that correctly.

If we finish 4th in the East and get the 4th place East team in the 9th game, doesn't that mean we're playing ourselves?  :coffee:

6 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

"Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez has led the efforts to develop a new schedule for a season that will start on the weekend of Oct. 23-24."

I guess he didn't like the idea of starting off facing IU and the likely loss! 😁

The B1G has really put themselves in a corner. Not sure why they are waiting 6 weeks and then expecting everything to go smoothly playing 8 weeks in a row. Why not start a week or two sooner and build in a bye week or two so there can be some scheduling flexibility? 

I hope it all works out and that every team gets to play their full allotment of 8 games. From what has happened thus far, I highly doubt that the season is going to go off without some hiccups.

Say Ohio State has a game or two canceled because their opponents have an outbreak. How could they get serious consideration by the selection committee as a 6-0 team when there could be teams that have played 3-4-5 more games?

Glad the B1G is gonna be playing again, but I think the conference leadership leaves much to be desired 

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The B1G has really put themselves in a corner. Not sure why they are waiting 6 weeks and then expecting everything to go smoothly playing 8 weeks in a row. Why not start a week or two sooner and build in a bye week or two so there can be some scheduling flexibility? 

I hope it all works out and that every team gets to play their full allotment of 8 games. From what has happened thus far, I highly doubt that the season is going to go off without some hiccups.

Say Ohio State has a game or two canceled because their opponents have an outbreak. How could they get serious consideration by the selection committee as a 6-0 team when there could be teams that have played 3-4-5 more games?

Glad the B1G is gonna be playing again, but I think the conference leadership leaves much to be desired 

Agreed. A month is more than enough to get back up to speed and have testing put back into place. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

"Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez has led the efforts to develop a new schedule for a season that will start on the weekend of Oct. 23-24."

I guess he didn't like the idea of starting off facing IU and the likely loss! 😁

Somewhere along the way today I heard that much of the original schedule will remain in tact.  Don't be surprised if IU still starts in Madison.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/9/16/the-big-ten-conference-adopts-stringent-medical-protocols-football-season-to-resume-october-23-24-2020.aspx

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/9/16/allen-dolson-statements-on-big-ten-football-return.aspx

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/9/16/football-tom-allen-zoom-press-conference-transcript.aspx

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/09/big-ten-announces-football-will-return-in-october/

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2020/09/hoosier-football-excited-for-chance-to-play-in-2020/

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2020/09/16/big-ten-to-play-football-after-all-why-were-here-and-whats-next/

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020/09/big-ten-votes-to-restart-football-iu

Go Hoosiers!

Archived