Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
rico

Big Ten 2020

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I know that I would be totally intimidated if I came up against a Fighting Monarch 🤣

It would be great if they were the Caterpillars in the 1st half, and came out with different uniforms and were the Monarchs in the 2nd half.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Well oiled machine. When a program gets up and running/humming like this only way they don't win conference title is an occasional upset (road game) or Big 10 title game with injury to key players. There are several programs who can take turns filling in the 4th playoff spot over coming years but would Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St aren't going anywhere with LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia right there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Well oiled machine. When a program gets up and running/humming like this only way they don't win conference title is an occasional upset (road game) or Big 10 title game with injury to key players. There are several programs who can take turns filling in the 4th playoff spot over coming years but would Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St aren't going anywhere with LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia right there.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

We need some new blood at the top, IMO.  It might help if Texas, the U, and USC got back to where they should be.  

I agree and I agree. I think Ohio St is on the verge, Ryan Day is young and well equipped with turning OSU into Bama and Clemson. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree and I agree. I think Ohio St is on the verge, Ryan Day is young and well equipped with turning OSU into Bama and Clemson. 

I think/feel that tOSU is already with 'Bama and Clemson.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

I think/feel that tOSU is already with 'Bama and Clemson.

They only have one NC though. Real recently. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They only have one NC though. Real recently. 

And the one in 2002 was stolen by Terry Porter. Signed....long time bitter Canes fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Say what you want, but the U adds fun and pizzazz when they are rolling.  The synergy they get with all the south Florida talent is amazing.  Their formula was to get that elite South Florida talent and then accentuate it with talent from all over.  Off the top of my head, Jim Kelly from Pennsylvania, Bernie Kosar from Ohio, Steve Walsh from Minnesota, Gino Torreta from California and Vinny Testaverde from New York.  Jimmy Johnson was as good of a coach as there’s been.  If he had stayed there’s no telling what his resume would have looked like.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Say what you want, but the U adds fun and pizzazz when they are rolling.  The synergy they get with all the south Florida talent is amazing.  Their formula was to get that elite South Florida talent and then accentuate it with talent from all over.  Off the top of my head, Jim Kelly from Pennsylvania, Bernie Kosar from Ohio, Steve Walsh from Minnesota, Gino Torreta from California and Vinny Testaverde from New York.  Jimmy Johnson was as good of a coach as there’s been.  If he had stayed there’s no telling what his resume would have looked like.  

Their recruiting platform is legendary, but they’ve not had program leadership on an elite level since Butch. I doubt you’ll see them reassert themselves on the national stage any time soon. Texas and USC won’t, either, though both are in better shape than UM. UF is much better positioned in Florida for a breakthrough, through the going will be tough with UGA and a building UT in the East. OSU has a largely undisturbed path in the BiG and, in Fields, the kind of difference making about that could push them over the top. 

• Like 1

Link

From the article:

There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools." 

Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether. 

• I expect Michigan to play at least one home-and-home and potentially two or more with other Big Ten teams, most likely Michigan State, Indiana and Ohio State. I expect Notre Dame to be a very real possibility as a fill-in game because of the location and access via buses. 

It's going to be pretty interesting to see how this season plays out if it does. 

Edited by mrflynn03

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

And honestly if Howard didn't leave he would have had about 10 titles....and I mean that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Their recruiting platform is legendary, but they’ve not had program leadership on an elite level since Butch. I doubt you’ll see them reassert themselves on the national stage any time soon. Texas and USC won’t, either, though both are in better shape than UM. UF is much better positioned in Florida for a breakthrough, through the going will be tough with UGA and a building UT in the East. OSU has a largely undisturbed path in the BiG and, in Fields, the kind of difference making about that could push them over the top. 

Can't argue on leadership. Very similar to IU in terms of administration handcuffing some of the coaches. Butch is still a legend always will be. Shoot I even thought why not him after Richt quit. Building UM though is all about recruiting and Manny has that part corrected. I don't think Texas or USC are in better shape but that's for another thread. Texas is nothing more than an Iowa with $$$$$. USC has a chance if they could (again with proper admin) get back to dominance. College teams in pro towns just have that advantage if they can get the right guy.

Back on thread though...Ohio St is well groomed for a long run. Maybe not to levels of Clemson, Bama or now LSU but close. Just like with anything you keep putting your team in position to make Final 4's...titles will come.

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Their recruiting platform is legendary, but they’ve not had program leadership on an elite level since Butch. I doubt you’ll see them reassert themselves on the national stage any time soon. 

Replace Butch with Knight, and this describes our basketball program perfectly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Replace Butch with Knight, and this describes our basketball program perfectly. 

In many, many ways we are very close to mirrors of each other. I've been a Canes fan since first time in Orange Bowl in 83. Always been an IU fan but it's amazing to watch over the last 18 years. Proud traditions and for one reason or another can't get out of our own way. 

More about the Iowa mess. Earlier I mentioned my doubts about their investigation, and they apparently didn't even contact one of the most outspoken players who supposedly had it as bad as anybody.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29517486/iowa-football-kirk-ferentz-see-black-players-speak-program-racial-inequities

26 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

More about the Iowa mess. Earlier I mentioned my doubts about their investigation, and they apparently didn't even contact one of the most outspoken players who supposedly had it as bad as anybody.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29517486/iowa-football-kirk-ferentz-see-black-players-speak-program-racial-inequities

I like Rittenburg and he’s a good writer, but talk to anyone in Iowa City and you’ll see there is more to the DJK story than was shown here. His dismissal and subsequent treatment by the program wasn’t unwarranted, and he’s not been especially contrite about what he did to earn his way out of town.

13 minutes ago, Sark said:

I like Rittenburg and he’s a good writer, but talk to anyone in Iowa City and you’ll see there is more to the DJK story than was shown here. His dismissal and subsequent treatment by the program wasn’t unwarranted, and he’s not been especially contrite about what he did to earn his way out of town.

I don’t disagree with that. I don’t think he's the best source for this stuff, but there were a lot of things in that article that were corroborated by multiple people. He's far from the only one saying things either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I don’t disagree with that. I don’t think he's the best source for this stuff, but there were a lot of things in that article that were corroborated by multiple people. He's far from the only one saying things either.

I think it was factual but it makes DJK much more sympathetic than he probably is. He was well known to be engaged in “illicit commerce” in Iowa City and his dismissal was related to multiple violations of that.

8 hours ago, Sark said:

I think it was factual but it makes DJK much more sympathetic than he probably is. He was well known to be engaged in “illicit commerce” in Iowa City and his dismissal was related to multiple violations of that.

Ferentz didn't have a problem keeping him around for four years, it seems.  Strange thing to do if the kid was guilty of multiple violations.  Ferentz sounds like an old school a-hole, in my opinion.  I hope his program suffers for this and he ultimately is released.  Screw him.

• Like 1