Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Different sport and a different time but Larry Bird was a top 5 draft pick in the 1978 draft.  He still went back to play his senior year before going to the NBA the next year.  I guess he wasn't worried about getting hurt and losing that contract because he couldn't sign u to after college was over.

Yes, things have changed in the last 42 years but Larry was no country bumpkin when it came to getting his NBA cash. I had forgotten the exact details of his draft but found the excerpt below. Something different back then included Bird being drafted but then playing college ball another season after being drafted. Due to Birds situation the rules were changed shortly thereafter.

“Bird was selected by the Boston Celtics with the sixth overall pick in the 1978 NBA draft.[20] He did not sign with the Celtics immediately; instead, he played out his final season at Indiana State and led the Sycamores to the NCAA title game. Celtics General Manager Red Auerbach publicly stated that he would not pay Bird more than any Celtic on the current roster, but Bird's agent Bob Woolf told Auerbach that Bird would reject any sub-market offers and simply enter the 1979 draft instead, where Boston's rights would expire when the draft began on June 25, and Bird would have been the likely top pick. After protracted negotiations, Bird inked a five-year, $3.25 million contract with the team on June 8, making him the highest paid rookie in sports history.[23][13][24] Shortly afterwards, NBA draft eligibility rules were changed to prevent teams from drafting players before they were ready to sign, a rule known as the Bird Collegiate Rule.[24]

Bird has his name on the Bird rights rule too, right?  The one where a team can pay the most for its own player or something in that vein.  

And there is the elbow surgery named after Tommy John.  Guys from Indiana getting their name on stuff!  LOL!  Sorry for my stream of consciousness.  It’s a Friday during a pandemic.  I absolve myself from all responsibility for going off the deep end, lol.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

"Nebraska coach Scott Frost told reporters Monday afternoon. “We want to play no matter who it is or where it is, so we’ll see how all those chips fall."

If I was Frost, after his first 2 seasons at Nebraska, I'd probably be hoping the season got cancelled.

He also forgot to mention that he wants to play anybody...as long as it isn't OSU, Michigan, or PSU.

23 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

"Nebraska coach Scott Frost told reporters Monday afternoon. “We want to play no matter who it is or where it is, so we’ll see how all those chips fall."

If I was Frost, after his first 2 seasons at Nebraska, I'd probably be hoping the season got cancelled.

He also forgot to mention that he wants to play anybody...as long as it isn't OSU, Michigan, or PSU.

And the B1G commish slaps the Huskers in the face.  Warren basically said if they play they will not be a member of the conference.

1 hour ago, Sark said:

They probably won’t play anyone and they’re definitely not getting booted if they do. It won’t be Frost’s call on playing anyway and Warren isn’t kicking anyone out the door. I’m sure he’s unhappy (Warren) since the Presidents instantly made him look like an idiot. 

please elaborate 

Justin Fields sent out a petition to make Big 10 change their plan earlier today. Already at 100k signatures. Not sure if it will make any difference to the academic honks that made this call. Bumpy, bumpy times coming for Big 10 in the PR world. Just stating the obvious but Big 10 better hope they are right. 

Archived