Big Ten 2020

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Justin Fields sent out a petition to make Big 10 change their plan earlier today. Already at 100k signatures. Not sure if it will make any difference to the academic honks that made this call. Bumpy, bumpy times coming for Big 10 in the PR world. Just stating the obvious but Big 10 better hope they are right. 

Good. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Justin Fields sent out a petition to make Big 10 change their plan earlier today. Already at 100k signatures. Not sure if it will make any difference to the academic honks that made this call. Bumpy, bumpy times coming for Big 10 in the PR world. Just stating the obvious but Big 10 better hope they are right. 

I saw where the parents of OSU and Iowa players sent letters to the big ten.  I would love to see us have a football season but it is sad that most peoples priorities are sports over health.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I saw where the parents of OSU and Iowa players sent letters to the big ten.  I would love to see us have a football season but it is sad that most peoples priorities are sports over health.

We have thread over in Animal House for corona stuff so I don't want this thread to turn into that. It's not anything to do with priorities. I believe kids who play football or basketball in a controlled environment are better served for their own health and ultimately their livelihoods by playing football or hoops,etc...

This time last year no one knew about Joe Burrow. Now he's signed a $36M contract. That's a very real thought for guys like Fields or whomever....but even taking money out the equation. Controlled bubbles are far better for kids than not. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We have thread over in Animal House for corona stuff so I don't want this thread to turn into that. It's not anything to do with priorities. I believe kids who play football or basketball in a controlled environment are better served for their own health and ultimately their livelihoods by playing football or hoops,etc...

This time last year no one knew about Joe Burrow. Now he's signed a $36M contract. That's a very real thought for guys like Fields or whomever....but even taking money out the equation. Controlled bubbles are far better for kids than not. 

Don't get me wrong I am as guilty as anyone who puts to much  emphasis on sports.  Lord only knows how much I had sports withdrawal those first few months in isolation.  I watched so many basketball games that happened 30 or 4 years so sports are huge to me.   I would hope as a parent though that I would put my sons health before what kind of contract he might get.  To me if there is not a season this year then those players will gain another year of eligibility so a guy like Burrow won't get lost.  A guy like Fields will get drafted high in the draft no matter if there is a season or not.

Also i don't see how you can put football teams in a bubble like the NBA is doing since you have over 100 players plus coaches and staff.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also i don't see how you can put football teams in a bubble like the NBA is doing since you have over 100 players plus coaches and staff.

But there has been talk about putting NFL teams in domed stadiums.  Like the one in Indianapolis.   I honestly don't know what the solution is.  The Denver Broncos held their first practice this past Friday.... at their beautiful facility... just miles from my home.  Normally thousands of fans attend.  Friday.... no fans.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

But there has been talk about putting NFL teams in domed stadiums.  Like the one in Indianapolis.   I honestly don't know what the solution is.  The Denver Broncos held their first practice this past Friday.... at their beautiful facility... just miles from my home.  Normally thousands of fans attend.  Friday.... no fans.

It is just not about playing the game but how to room that many people in one place

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not about playing the game but how to room that many people in one place

Can agree.  Normally, thousands of Bronco fans sit on a hillside West of the practice field for the first practice. All sitting close to each other.  Darned pandemic ! The Broncos have a large parking lot for fans. But on opening practice day.... the county law offices, which is next door... opens up their parking lots to Bronco fans.

Broncos fans pack first day of training camp - YouTube

Another issue with football is that it’s a sport with inherent risk.  You play, you could get a concussion, which is pretty common.  You could break an arm or tear a knee. Marc Bouniconti was paralyzed.  There was a receiver for the Patriots in the 1970s.  The offensive lineman from the Lions in the 1990s.   It’s not like playing chess.  Players are taking a risk just suiting up.  

I’m not trying to be funny but a lot of players play with shields on the front of your helmet.  What if they made that mandatory?  Wouldn’t that make it safer?  

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Another issue with football is that it’s a sport with inherent risk.  You play, you could get a concussion, which is pretty common.  You could break an arm or tear a knee. Marc Bouniconti was paralyzed.  There was a receiver for the Patriots in the 1970s.  The offensive lineman from the Lions in the 1990s.   It’s not like playing chess.  Players are taking a risk just suiting up.  

I’m not trying to be funny but a lot of players play with shields on the front of your helmet.  What if they made that mandatory?  Wouldn’t that make it safer?  

Certainly couldn't hurt. I wore one in college. 

Much better in college.. better grass/way more games on turf. They get smudges on them that are ultra annoying. 

Between the comments by Penn St AD today and similar sentiments from other Big 10 schools. I don't think the Big 10 has taken this much on the chin in decades. Not a good start for Warren. Complete failure in communication with all parties it seems like. Release the schedule but 6 days later you can the season but won't share what you know why the massive change? 

And again...if Warren shows up at one Miss St game to cheer his son on who plays there I'd tell him just to stay. Maybe we could get Delaney back for one more year and do a search again. 

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

Warren isn’t to blame . . . The university Presidents are responsible for this mess. They embarrassed Warren after he released the schedule and then made the decision to cancel the season without even taking the time to talk with the athletes who would be impacted. Tone deaf and isolated from reality, and then they leave Warren to clean up the mess. Smart people behaving like morons.

Understand but if I'm Warren....if he has zero part in this as you keep suggesting....it actually makes me more nervous about his leadership abilities and for the future of our conference. We don't need a puppet. Delany sure as heck wasn't one. Complete embarrassment on all parties involved. Including Warren. 

Just now, Sark said:

Warren is new in his job and lacks the gravitas that Delany acquired in two plus decades at the helm. He’s not so much a puppet as he is new, and he’s also lacking any real experience in the conference. It’s why some of the Presidents wanted Jim Phillips, and why KW was a surprise pick, albeit an intelligent and very capable guy who also checked a needed diversity box.

Phillips is who I wanted.

Watching something on YouTube and they are talking about OSU is trying to get 5 other big ten teams to play a 10 game season in the fall.  I guess Neb., Iowa, and PSU is interested and they are trying to get UM and UW to join them.  They would play each team twice home and away.  Don't know how this would work and what the conference would do.  Would the BTN go against the conference and shows the game

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The big ten is getting absolutely destroyed on social media and I'm loving it.  It's not just fans either.  

Time will tell how the Big 10 comes out of this.  I can't imagine the division between coaches/players and administration that exists will be repaired for years if ever with current coaches. Every single one of these admin types are trying to run for cover. Even Warren's statement yesterday was another example of poor leadership. Just another form of it...they keep trying to "talk" their way into people understanding their decision and it's just not happening.

I'll be a broken record. If Warren heads down to Starkville for a game this fall he should just stay.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell how the Big 10 comes out of this.  I can't imagine the division between coaches/players and administration that exists will be repaired for years if ever with current coaches. Every single one of these admin types are trying to run for cover. Even Warren's statement yesterday was another example of poor leadership. Just another form of it...they keep trying to "talk" their way into people understanding their decision and it's just not happening.

I'll be a broken record. If Warren heads down to Starkville for a game this fall he should just stay.

I doubt if there will is much of a division. It sounds like that a vote was never actually taken and as many as 6 B1G schools are still trying to play a home and home schedule without Warren's approval. There's also some info out there that the B1G can only do so much and have legally gone to far so we'll see how this pans out but I doubt it's over. 

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

I doubt if there will is much of a division. It sounds like that a vote was never actually taken and as many as 6 B1G schools are still trying to play a home and home schedule without Warren's approval. There's also some info out there that the B1G can only do so much and have legally gone to far so we'll see how this pans out but I doubt it's over. 

Good. IU had better be one of them.  

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good. IU had better be one of them.  

To me it sounds like it might have been 8-6 not to play.  I think the 6 teams mentioned trying to play this fall are the ones voted to play. OSU, PSU, Iowa, NEB, UW and UM.  UM will have trouble because the governor of Michigan says there will be no football played in that state this year.

There's an article out of Milwaukee's newspaper (hidden behind paywall) saying that Big 10 football could be starting Thanksgiving weekend. Andrew Luger's (Big 10 attorney) said yesterday something pretty  interesting. Basically the harm would be incredible to the Big 10 if documents were released on the "how" the initial decision to cancel was made. 

Something tells me with this Thanksgiving plan coming out of nowhere they must really not want those documents to be public. Anyway. Glimmer of hope I guess. To me along with basketball it makes sense and can work with campus going all remote until Feb 8th. Only issue on football side is the obvious. If you don't start until Thanksgiving you can't be involved in college playoff. 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There's an article out of Milwaukee's newspaper (hidden behind paywall) saying that Big 10 football could be starting Thanksgiving weekend. Andrew Luger's (Big 10 attorney) said yesterday something pretty  interesting. Basically the harm would be incredible to the Big 10 if documents were released on the "how" the initial decision to cancel was made. 

Something tells me with this Thanksgiving plan coming out of nowhere they must really not want those documents to be public. Anyway. Glimmer of hope I guess. To me along with basketball it makes sense and can work with campus going all remote until Feb 8th. Only issue on football side is the obvious. If you don't start until Thanksgiving you can't be involved in college playoff. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/eight-nebraska-football-players-file-lawsuit-against-the-big-ten-seeking-to-reverse-canceled-season/

I posted this in the basketball thread. The lawsuit may have spurred this along

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Absolute clown show. Big 10 used to be the gold standard and now a laughingstock. All in one year. The fact they are now discussing right now multiple options tells me all I need to know. They become embarrassed. The push back is huge. There are other factors in play here but since I want to honor board rules I can't say those things.

Zero leadership. I guess coaches are on a call now and not listening to their Presidents. Just a standard Friday in the Big 10. 

Archived