Jerome Hunter Progress

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Whenever the topic comes around to free throw shooting.  Many times I bring up the name.  Virgil Sweet.  Head coach at Valparaiso high school for 20 years.  Who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 70% or better from the free throw line. Coach Sweet's 1963-1964 TEAM shot 79.2 % of their free throws during the entire season.... setting a national record.

Coach Sweet had a 20 point system on how to properly shoot a free throw.  And even wrote a book on it.

Thanks for the info. Never heard of him/it.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/2016/05/13/20-steps-how-guy-hit-409-free-throws-row/84338610/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i go through cycles of fighting this fight with people.  i realize in today's game everyone wants and needs to shoot the 3.  i'm not saying it's wrong to improve his range.  i'd just like to see him mainly stick with what he's good at and i definitely don't want to see him taking a lot of 3s and missing most of them in games in an attempt to show the NBA he can shoot outside.  admittedly i am old school and hate the new style of play.  

Unless we go small with someone like Hunter at the 4, then someone amongst the TJD, Race, Brunk group is going to have to be able to knock down some 3's or at least perimeter jumpers. If not, the lane will remain super clogged and we'll have a repeat of the last three years offensively. 

7 hours ago, cybergates said:

Funny you bring this up.

1.  I had a fairly good friend on the Valpo coaching staff 2014-15 seasons.  The Valpo free throw had faded by then and while some used it, others didn't.  They brought back the valpo free those two seasons and shot very well- 78% in 2014 and 76% in 2015.  I didn't follow the teams after that and honestly don't know if this continued.  

2.  Virgil Sweet is 93 and still in the news...don't worry...for good reasons,,,https://www.tbnweekly.com/coronavirus/article_1b84976c-9553-11ea-8062-eb937ce240cb.html

12 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Funny you bring this up.

1.  I had a fairly good friend on the Valpo coaching staff 2014-15 seasons.  The Valpo free throw had faded by then and while some used it, others didn't.  They brought back the valpo free those two seasons and shot very well- 78% in 2014 and 76% in 2015.  I didn't follow the teams after that and honestly don't know if this continued.  

2.  Virgil Sweet is 93 and still in the news...don't worry...for good reasons,,,https://www.tbnweekly.com/coronavirus/article_1b84976c-9553-11ea-8062-eb937ce240cb.html

Great find.  And thanks for sharing it with us.  And what he did, does not surprise me in the least. As I never heard anybody who had anything but good to say about Coach Sweet.

Coach Sweet is in the Indiana Hall of Fame.

https://www.hoopshall.com/hall-of-fame/virgil-sweet/?back=HallofFame2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Unless we go small with someone like Hunter at the 4, then someone amongst the TJD, Race, Brunk group is going to have to be able to knock down some 3's or at least perimeter jumpers. If not, the lane will remain super clogged and we'll have a repeat of the last three years offensively. 

that is certainly a good point and no argument here.  i am actually a fan of Brunk and TJD, and somehow want them to be able to play together, so i guess you're right.  seems Thompson has the better chance of being a decent shooter though.  i just like when Brunk and TJD go high/low and interior pass well.

56 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

that is certainly a good point and no argument here.  i am actually a fan of Brunk and TJD, and somehow want them to be able to play together, so i guess you're right.  seems Thompson has the better chance of being a decent shooter though.  i just like when Brunk and TJD go high/low and interior pass well.

Think of how much more effective that high/low game would be with even more spacing because of the threat of TJD and/or Brunk actually making shots from the perimeter. It only helps when you have bigs that can make 3’s. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Think of how much more effective that high/low game would be with even more spacing because of the threat of TJD and/or Brunk actually making shots from the perimeter. It only helps when you have bigs that can make 3’s. 

And draws opposing big men away from the basket for your guards/wings to drive and finish at the basket.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And draws opposing big men away from the basket for your guards/wings to drive and finish at the basket.

Exactly. Spacing is critical offensively in basketball, and the last few years IU’s spacing has been terrible mainly because of the lack of shooting. I don’t care what system you run or at what pace you’re running it, you need to have proper spacing for it to be successful. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. Spacing is critical offensively in basketball, and the last few years IU’s spacing has been terrible mainly because of the lack of shooting. I don’t care what system you run or at what pace you’re running it, you need to have proper spacing for it to be successful. 

Yep even saw that with some of Knights teams...especially later ones that not only lacked athleticism but enough players that could knock down shots to efficiently space his offense...and Knight knew spacing...I think he was remedying it with the team he was putting together before he got fired and we saw how successful they became.

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

come on B.  i think you know i know a little bball.  i understand all that.  i'm just saying if they can't do it effectively, but keep trying to prove it in games it's gonna hurt.  no argument that it would be helpful though!

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

come on B.  i think you know i know a little bball.  i understand all that.  i'm just saying if they can't do it effectively, but keep trying to prove it in games it's gonna hurt.  no argument that it would be helpful though!

My apologies if my post came off condescending or something, in no way was that my intent. 

I think the disconnect in this topic for a while has been that the people like me that want to see TJD and Race in particular extend their range aren't saying we want them to let it fly at 27%. We've always said we want them to work on extending their range and if either or both could hit open spot-up 3's when wide open, we'd love for them to develop that skill and it would really help the offense. 

Nobody wants to see TJD or Race jacking up 5 3's a game at a sub-30% clip because they're showcasing for the NBA. We want them to develop the skill to where they can keep the defense honest when wide open and hopefully confidently take the shot at a mid-30's% clip. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

My apologies if my post came off condescending or something, in no way was that my intent. 

I think the disconnect in this topic for a while has been that the people like me that want to see TJD and Race in particular extend their range aren't saying we want them to let it fly at 27%. We've always said we want them to work on extending their range and if either or both could hit open spot-up 3's when wide open, we'd love for them to develop that skill and it would really help the offense. 

Nobody wants to see TJD or Race jacking up 5 3's a game at a sub-30% clip because they're showcasing for the NBA. We want them to develop the skill to where they can keep the defense honest when wide open and hopefully confidently take the shot at a mid-30's% clip. 

Yeah if either could get around 32% or so that'd be good. Doubt either can get to 35% or better, but right, if either can help keep defenses honest that'll help with our spacing. 

Isn't it nice to start talking actual IU hoops again? 

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah if either could get around 32% or so that'd be good. Doubt either can get to 35% or better, but right, if either can help keep defenses honest that'll help with our spacing. 

Isn't it nice to start talking actual IU hoops again? 

Indeed. Heck I’d settle for them knocking down 15 footers at say a 40-50% clip before worrying about 3s. That still would help balance the floor more than it has been and we can get to the 3pt line after that. Master a jumper first...kids want to run before they walk.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. Heck I’d settle for them knocking down 15 footers at say a 40-50% clip before worrying about 3s. That still would help balance the floor more than it has been and we can get to the 3pt line after that. Master a jumper first...kids want to run before they walk.

Gambill one of my favorites on this board. Like I’m reading my own thoughts.  As an IU fan though, in a state filled with shooters, isn’t it just a bit frustrating that we’d be happy to see 45% from 15?  Good 3 point percentage though completely changes the game. 

looking forward to the season...things are on track and I can’t wait, love the roster and staff.  

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would love them to be able to shoot the mid range jumper  like Allan Henderson it Eric Anderson.

20 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Gambill one of my favorites on this board. Like I’m reading my own thoughts.  As an IU fan though, in a state filled with shooters, isn’t it just a bit frustrating that we’d be happy to see 45% from 15?  Good 3 point percentage though completely changes the game. 

looking forward to the season...things are on track and I can’t wait, love the roster and staff.  

It’s a lost art! Kids at a young age taking way way too many 3s...and then of course getting to the rim for Uber athletic kids is so easy but mastering a good mid game...gosh how many times did Calbert pump fake a 3 and hit a nice easy leaning 16-17 footer! Only the highest scorer in B1G history along with a lottery pick. Anyways I like what we have...and of course I’d love for Trayce to step out like Bryant did but I don’t need even that...I’d live with a nice mid game.

Yeah I don’t know what happened to all the shooters. There are still some special ones out there...hopefully we will get our share.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

this is 100% where i am

On 6/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, milehiiu said:

Whenever the topic comes around to free throw shooting.  Many times I bring up the name.  Virgil Sweet.  Head coach at Valparaiso high school for 20 years.  Who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 70% or better from the free throw line. Coach Sweet's 1963-1964 TEAM shot 79.2 % of their free throws during the entire season.... setting a national record.

Coach Sweet had a 20 point system on how to properly shoot a free throw.  And even wrote a book on it.

Mile, I haven’t thought about Coach Sweet in a long time.  Long ago in a galaxy far away, I attended one of Coach Sweets summer basketball camps.  Thanks for bringing up Coach Sweet!

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Mods. We need a cleanup on aisle 9.  Seems IUB74's enthusiasm for Coach Sweet runneth over.  LOL

I apologize for my inadvertent multiple posts.  Been a while since I posted and I did not realize until it was too late that I had posted multiple times.

Archived