Jerome Hunter Progress

7 hours ago, IUB74 said:

I apologize for my inadvertent multiple posts.  Been a while since I posted and I did not realize until it was too late that I had posted multiple times.

i knew what happened.  I actually got a big laugh out of it.  Seven quoted posts. No big deal. It got fixed.  Was funny to me.

What I find happening often is that when I hit Submit Reply... nothing really happens.  It just sits there. One just has to trust that it will eventually post. I just hit go to topic listing at the bottom of the page.  And then my post shows up.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

i knew what happened.  I actually got a big laugh out of it.  Seven quoted posts. No big deal. It got fixed.  Was funny to me.

What I find happening often is that when I hit Submit Reply... nothing really happens.  It just sits there. One just has to trust that it will eventually post. I just hit go to topic listing at the bottom of the page.  And then my post shows up.

Mile, that is exactly what happened to me. I didn’t think that it posted.

19 minutes ago, IUB74 said:

Mile, that is exactly what happened to me. I didn’t think that it posted.

It happens often to me. And I actually was happy to hear I was not alone. And know that it has happened to others in the past.  Since I am not the only one. I am thinking it is a system issue. Perhaps Hoosier Faitfhful will be able to get in touch with our provider, to try to rectify this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

a "plethora" of three pointers.... Showing his handles.... Confidence ....

Really looking forward to seeing his "true soph" game. 

Agreed. Healthy, confident Jerome changes our entire team outlook. His talent and mental toughness are unquestioned. Healthy and conifdent....he can be a game changer.

57 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Agreed. Healthy, confident Jerome changes our entire team outlook. His talent and mental toughness are unquestioned. Healthy and conifdent....he can be a game changer.

I agree , some people forget the injuries we’ve had to deal with last few years. I hope to see a healthy Jerome and Race moving forward.

I shared it before but going into their freshman season at a workout I had a guy ask me which player was Romeo because he was not sure but 2 players on the floor were head and shoulders better than everyone else.  That other player was Hunter. If we get that Hunter back the sky is limit

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I shared it before but going into their freshman season at a workout I had a guy ask me which player was Romeo because he was not sure but 2 players on the floor were head and shoulders better than everyone else.  That other player was Hunter. If we get that Hunter back the sky is limit

This. He was killing it before his injury at the start of his frosh season. His confidence and health, combined with his new role, with the departures -- Smith in particular -- should let us see the real, healthy and ready Hunter. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This. He was killing it before his injury at the start of his frosh season. His confidence and health, combined with his new role, with the departures -- Smith in particular -- should let us see the real, healthy and ready Hunter. 

I love his ability to stretch the floor and shoot 3s but I don’t want him to fall in love with it. He has one of the best quick flick release floaters I’ve seen in and around the basket. That curl and quick flick 10 footer...so tough to defend and can help him get to the foul line too. He is very talented offensively. Looking forward to him and Armaans second season jump!

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I watched some highlights of the game last year at Nebraska and liked one thing about what I saw.  When we were down early by 9 the lineup that brought us back will all return this year.  It was TJD, Brunk, Hunter, RP and Franklin.  Hunter got 8 points in a 5 minute stretch with two 3's that got us the lead back.

Really like hearing these reports from Jerome. He like Race and to a certain extent Rob P have had their early development stunted by injuries. Hopefully all 3 can remain healthy moving forward. If that happens I like our chances this winter as much as anyone. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Really like hearing these reports from Jerome. He like Race and to a certain extent Rob P have had their early development stunted by injuries. Hopefully all 3 can remain healthy moving forward. If that happens I like our chances this winter as much as anyone. 

I think Robs conditioning was non existent last year. There were a lot of times he would have a tremendous first 6 or 7 mins and then do nothing offensively the rest of the game. He's a guy that should be able to easily play 34-36 mins. 

I think RP has a big year 10p 4a 4r 38% from 3. 

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

9p 4r avg from JH takes us up a notch. 

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think Robs conditioning was non existent last year. There were a lot of times he would have a tremendous first 6 or 7 mins and then do nothing offensively the rest of the game. He's a guy that should be able to easily play 34-36 mins. 

I think RP has a big year 10p 4a 4r 38% from 3. 

I think you're right in both areas, though I'd like to see Jerome in the 12-14 point range...

TJD went for 13.5 per last year...like to see that tick up to 16-17 and I think that's attainable...

Just wondering where anyone else thinks the 26 or so PPG that Justin, Devonte, De'Ron, and Damezi accounted for last year will come from...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think you're right in both areas, though I'd like to see Jerome in the 12-14 point range...

TJD went for 13.5 per last year...like to see that tick up to 16-17 and I think that's attainable...

Just wondering where anyone else thinks the 26 or so PPG that Justin, Devonte, De'Ron, and Damezi accounted for last year will come from...

I think TJD will be in that 15-17 ppg range, Cody-esque.

Damezi averaged 2.8 in 18 games. Davis 2.7 in 31. Not really a factor here.

Justin (10.4) and Green (10.8)  though will have to be replaced in minutes and scoring. And aside from scoring Davis's ability to come in and influence a game in the front court, as well.

I think we'll see a significant growth in minutes, points, boards etc. from Hunter, Frankin and Race. Franklin continues to be undervalued/under-recognized imo. Race and Hunter obviously were growing their games significantly by season's end and are primed for more minutes and production. 

That's before we get to Lander, who almost certainly will factor in well at some point in the season if not immediately (young but uber talent). So I see Green's and Smith's lost production coming from a mix, primarily, of those 4, Hunter, Franklin, Race and Lander, along with growth from TJD.

Don't know how the loss of Smith in particular will play out, he's a real loss, but see the chance for improvement in spacing and scoring with Hunter and Race, and improved spacing and ball movement with Lander and Franklin.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That's quite an improvement. We didn't have anyone but one player avg that.  

I think TJD 15-16. 

RP, AD, JH, and KL all avg 8p-11p. Balance. 

If Jerome takes that next step, it will be a win-win with Justin gone too.  Based on a variety of factors, that could be a nice upgrade for what we need done on the court.  The loss of Justin would only matter if the loss of depth becomes critical. 

In ‘20 as a team, IU stepped forward and was a tourney team.  You’ve got to start somewhere.  This ‘21 team has a nice chance to take a big jump when you look at the upperclassmen, an experienced stud in TJD and on and on.  We may be underestimated.  This is a nice chance for Archie to get some big wins and get the momentum feeling like a snowball running down the hill.  

Tough kids, good experience, better fits for what we need done, more electric athleticism.  

If everything came together 

F Hunter 

F Thompson

C TJD

G Phinisee 

G Lander 

That starting five has the components for success.  

The rotation has nice pieces off the bench when you look at Brunk, Durham and Franklin. 

Then you’ve got the three remaining freshmen to sprinkle in:

Geronimo

Galloway

Leal

Unlike the past several years, you have a roster that makes sense and where the pieces fit together.  

17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If everything came together 

F Hunter 

F Thompson

C TJD

G Phinisee 

G Lander 

That starting five has the components for success.  

The rotation has nice pieces off the bench when you look at Brunk, Durham and Franklin. 

Then you’ve got the three remaining freshmen to sprinkle in:

Geronimo

Galloway

Leal

Unlike the past several years, you have a roster that makes sense and where the pieces fit together.  

I don't see anyway that a senior Durham not starting

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes agree, but we should now have different "looks" now in lineups, regardless who starts, as the lineups develop over the season.

Rob / Lander /  Al / Hunter / TJD, or

Rob / Al / Hunter / Race / TJD, or 

Rob / Lander / Al / Race / TJD, etc.

I see Rob and TJD being "locks" but Rob's starting/significant minutes is all about his health, we know he didn't start for much of last season because of his health. We clearly play better when he's healthy and playing significant minutes, here's to hoping. But it could also be Lander / Al / Hunter / Race / TJD (which is actually a nice looking lineup)

So many really good lineup combinations here.  I'm pulling for Hunter as hard as I've pulled for any player in awhile.  I keep flashing back to what might have been with Maurice Creek had it not been for all the injuries.  I really hope Hunter has a healthy breakout season.  Phinisee too.  I want to see Rob making Toiletmaker nation miserable.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I do. His defense last year was marginal at best. I saw him get beat time after time, not knowing where screens were coming from, and plain, out of position on many occasions. I think his offense kept him in the game more often than not. This year, (hopefully) we have several scorers...like 5-6 as alluded to early with "balance".

If Archie can get us running instead of walking up the court, Al could give Rob, or Lander, or, or, or, a blow.

If Al improves his defense consistently, then yeah, he probably starts.

Archived