Freshmen!!!

On 6/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, Go__Hoosiers said:

We have 11 scholarship players, right? I don't project an 8 man rotation so one of Galloway, Leal and Geronimo is going to get some serious playing time - likely two of them (as injuries are inevitable). Let's hope Galloway's shooting woes are truly just a result of his wrist injury and that injury is fully healed. If Galloway can become a 40% 3 point shooter - he is going to be excellent at IU.

All three. Galloway, Leal, and Geronimo are in B-town as of today.  June 12.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2020 at 11:56 AM, milehiiu said:

All three. Galloway, Leal, and Geronimo are in B-town as of today.  June 12.

I ran into both Leal and Geronimo today on campus, rounded a corner and boom there they were...both seemed really tall to me but Im 5'10" so all players look tall i guess..😂

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I asked a question you didn't know the answer to.   That might be a first. 

Well. I can guess. Seeing as how, during this pandemic... and all practices currently are voluntary, that Lander has chosen to come in later. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well. I can guess. Seeing as how, during this pandemic... and all practices currently are voluntary, that Lander has chosen to come in later. 

While he has signed his paperwork and been announced, I believe he will not be done with all of the needed classwork until sometime in July 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, IUFLA said:

Villanova sure has been successful redshirting kids

I read where 6 players on the 2018 National Championship team had redshirted at one time or another...Mikal Bridges, Eric Paschall, Phil Booth, Donte DiVincenzo, Tim Delaney, and Omari Spellman...

Didn't know that. Pretty impressive on Wright's part to sell the redshirt to 4* Bridges and DiVincenzo, but Spellman's inclusion while factual seems a bit misleading as he was forced into it. Delaney and Paschall were only 3* so probably an easier sell.

Spellman was 5* and only redshirted due to academic reasons. He was a 5th year HS senior and still wasn't able to complete eligibility requirements according to:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17618183/omari-spellman-villanova-wildcats-miss-2016-17-season-academic-redshirt

On 6/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, cybergates said:

Didn't know that. Pretty impressive on Wright's part to sell the redshirt to 4* Bridges and DiVincenzo, but Spellman's inclusion while factual seems a bit misleading as he was forced into it. Delaney and Paschall were only 3* so probably an easier sell.

Spellman was 5* and only redshirted due to academic reasons. He was a 5th year HS senior and still wasn't able to complete eligibility requirements according to:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17618183/omari-spellman-villanova-wildcats-miss-2016-17-season-academic-redshirt

Paschall had to sit out because he transferred. Booth, Delaney and DiVincenzo's red shirts were due to injury. 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, Sark said:

Didn’t he reclassify, making his true freshman year really his senior year of high school? Made sense to sit him for a year. Lander is at a position of need, plus he doesn’t intend to be a four year kid, so he’ll play right away. Leal and Galloway aren’t ready to contribute, but I’m sure they’ll play a little.

I think Galloway and Leal are going to shock a few people. Being locked in the house i've watched everything i could have and they changed my mind. They are both basketball players, not athletes that play basketball. They both can shoot, handle the ball, pass it and play defense. They do things the right way and will play more than a little.

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

I think Galloway and Leal are going to shock a few people. Being locked in the house i've watched everything i could have and they changed my mind. They are both basketball players, not athletes that play basketball. They both can shoot, handle the ball, pass it and play defense. They do things the right way and will play more than a little.

Have to say I really like the foundation CAM is building. Kids like these are real building blocks. Fundamentally good basketball players who play with an edge 

IU's main twitter account just posted a video of Jordan and Anthony's new room. Has to be Evolve building across from stadium. So glad to see IU step up for extras like this....looks really, really modern and nice. Everything in house from gym, pool, kitchens...hopefully someone can post. 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:06 PM, 5fouls said:

A lot of parents effectively 'redshirt' their children nowadays by holding them back a year before starting kindergarten.  My kids have classmates that have late/spring / early summer birthdays whose parents delayed their start of grade school and, as a result, are a full year older than other kids in the class.  This is often done so the kid can exceed both academically and athletically.

This is getting more and more common.  My friend did it with all 3 of his kids.  Mostly they didn't think their kids were mentally ready for school at 5 so they waited a year. 

26 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is getting more and more common.  My friend did it with all 3 of his kids.  Mostly they didn't think their kids were mentally ready for school at 5 so they waited a year. 

Wait until the kids find out. Entire life will be reminded of course you should do better....your an entire year earlier. I was 14 months younger than a classmate. I was pushed early with summer bday and my friend was held back. Not saying which way is the best but as we all know kids can be brutal. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wait until the kids find out. Entire life will be reminded of course you should do better....your an entire year earlier. I was 14 months younger than a classmate. I was pushed early with summer bday and my friend was held back. Not saying which way is the best but as we all know kids can be brutal. 

My wife was a teacher for 40 years.  The students that redshirted or came in at the end of their birthday, most always did better. So we chose to redshirt our son.  Thing he loved about that was in high school... he was the first of his classmates to get a driver's license.  Made him popular with the young ladies.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My wife was a teacher for 40 years.  The students that redshirted or came in at the end of their birthday, most always did better. So we chose to redshirt our son.  Thing he loved about that was in high school... he was the first of his classmates to get a driver's license.  Made him popular with the young ladies.

Tons of extra perks. Don't get me wrong. Just saying (right or wrong) kids find out things and run with it. Part of the deal I guess. For me I'm an early July birthday. Glad my parents pushed to get me in school earlier....but I also understand why others don't. Oh well. Back to fresh new digs for IU players. Really glad to see IU stepping up their living quarters game for players. Only about 20 years late but oh well.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tons of extra perks. Don't get me wrong. Just saying (right or wrong) kids find out things and run with it. Part of the deal I guess. For me I'm an early July birthday. Glad my parents pushed to get me in school earlier....but I also understand why others don't. Oh well. Back to fresh new digs for IU players. Really glad to see IU stepping up their living quarters game for players. Only about 20 years late but oh well.

I know people who I graduated with just turned 48 and I will be 50 in September.  My best friend who I graduated with will turn 51 in November so there can be a wide range of ages in one class.

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Are those apartments or dorms?  New complex private or IU facilities?

I guess you could say both. Apartments mostly. There's a rule with athletic dorms that require a certain number of normal students to live with athletes. This complex looks to be on the up and up while our good friends in Lexington used to get by those rules (Wildcat Lounge) by having 1-2 students (typically close friends of recruits) live in same building. 

I'm just glad we have this as an edge. Been to several campuses. Not many have this. It's not UK or Kansas but very, very nice.

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Revisiting this: which Freshman outside of Lander will contribute.

In listening to interviews and podcasts, it sounds like Galloway is going to challenge some guys for playing time. I have a feeling we’re going to like this kid. I hope he brings some grit to this team. 

I think we'll see Geronimo pushing for playing time. Defense-first, college-ready body, uber (freak-level) athleticism, great work ethic, and developing offense. Kid has monster upside. 

Archived