National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fear what my players and students will be without the structure of school and organized sports. I'm borderline petrified. 

I cannot agree, with the info we have now, that having sports (very minimal fans) will have much of an effect on the spread of this thing. There also a decent, very decent possibility that these kids will be safer if we DO play sports, FROM the virus. 

I'm sure the FFA club at the HS I coach at will be devastated without football. Football season makes them A LOT of money and they do a darn good job. 

Call baseball the past time all you want, and we're from IN so basketball is huge here and I LOVE that... but there's nothing that brings that many people together (whether in spirit or in person) like football. I'm sorry, but there just isn't. 

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Pretty impressive we can rein it in that easily. Props to you guys. 

Bottom line... football won't spread it anymore then anything else and young people aren't spreading nearly the way older people are, for some reason. 

I agree completely.  My wife's cousin is going to be a freshman at IU this year.   He is having all online classes except one, but still living on campus. 

It's not any more dangerous to play fall sports than it is having kids together on campus. 

1 hour ago, Sark said:

E learning will forever change the college landscape, allowing many to “attend” while greatly reducing the need to come to a campus. The change won’t occur overnight, but it will happen and College Sports will be permanently impacted. If you’re a fan, enjoy it while you can. 

Yawn 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

McRoberts is a p**** 

I am stunned president bowtie at OSU isn't one of the "let's play" crowd.   Seems prematue for such a big decision.   It's likely things won't be different in a month,  but nobody is out anything if they decided to push the start of the season back a few weeks and wait until Labor Day to reevaluate. 

Just now, Andy06 said:

I am stunned president bowtie at OSU isn't one of the "let's play" crowd.   Seems prematue for such a big decision.   It's likely things won't be different in a month,  but nobody is out anything if they decided to push the start of the season back a few weeks and wait until Labor Day to reevaluate. 

Ahh.. common sense. Interesting. 

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

I feel like it's pretty easy to see why I don't want the season canceled. And it has absolutely ZERO to do with me. My football playing days are done. 

You understand the fact you went through that doesn't change hardly anything for a 16 year old at my HS correct? Now I'm soo sooooo happy you made it through that and please understand I'm being sincere. 

I havent told anyone this because I'm just now semi healthy..  I spent the night in the hospital with a bacterial infection in my stomach. Threw up 80 times last week, had 5 IVs, lost 25lbs and missed 4.5days of work, and 5 football practices. 

We can get sick/hurt/whatever in ANYTHING we do. Anything. I'm a healthy 30 year old and that brought me to my knees last week. 

We understand the risk, its worth it. Covid will not spread anymore by playing football then if the kids weren't playing. 

Jeez, sorry to hear you got that sick.  Glad to see you are on the other side.  That must have been brutal.  Thank goodness for antiobiotics.

If colleges don't play football this season (not saying they should or shouldn't), there will be numerous (mostly smaller) schools that may fold their football programs or they may have to move to non or partial scholarship. Many schools were in financial trouble prior to COVID and now COVID is causing big drops in revenue. If football is generating no revenue, it will be difficult to justify having so many athletes on scholarship and pay so many coaches, trainers, etc., when cuts are being made on the academic side. It will also be devastating to non-revenue sports.

It will be especially bad for the non-flagship public colleges and universities, that are really struggling anyway. The Regents and politicians will do everything to protect the flagships and will make the lower-tier publics bear the worst of it. Not a good time to be a Directional (Eastern, Western, etc.)

Since July 6th... we have 53 football players and 10 coaches. 

Only one positive test... only three others that even showed symptoms and were all negative. 

The one that was positive, not a single lingering side effect. 

I understand its way different for everyone. Just reporting on the team I coach. 

34 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The idea that college athletes aren't at risk of serious long-term complications for COVID is, unfortunately, just not correct:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

I know I have still had some breathing problems since I had the virus.  I have went through numerous test for both the heart and lungs.

Archived