National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it with Mike Gundy?  He’s always struck me as a complete meathead ever since he said “I’m a man, I’m 40.”  I have no idea why OK State acts like they can’t get another coach.  

I have never heard of that TV channel.  It doesn’t matter.  It obviously represents something that offended his players.  Why offend your football team.  This guy lacks total self awareness.  He’s made millions on the backs of unpaid football players.  And he’s oblivious to the fact that we are having a moment that will literally be studied in history books.  

That press conference was a sorry situation. Chubba Hubbard—who is widely considered one of the two top backs in next year’s draft along with Travis Ettiene—looked like he was in a hostage video.  Obviously his meat head coach came in there and was domineering and Chubba caved.  Then he had a statement that was way too defensive.  In life, being defensive never plays well.  He’s a kid so it’s unfair.  I wish someone was there to mentor him.  He had a lot more power in that situation than he showed.  He could have gotten way more than he did.  

Not sure gang. Clemson had 23 players today test positive. Texas has their own issues. UCLA players are having it out on twitter with Chip. I really, really hope we get this one. I'm expecting several more positive test stories to come out over coming weeks. Knowing that will happen I guess the positive is it's happening in June. The negative will be the see I told you so crowd. 

Dangerous waters ahead. Hopefully it means football this fall.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

What is it with Mike Gundy?  He’s always struck me as a complete meathead ever since he said “I’m a man, I’m 40.”  I have no idea why OK State acts like they can’t get another coach.  

I have never heard of that TV channel.  It doesn’t matter.  It obviously represents something that offended his players.  Why offend your football team.  This guy lacks total self awareness.  He’s made millions on the backs of unpaid football players.  And he’s oblivious to the fact that we are having a moment that will literally be studied in history books.  

That press conference was a sorry situation. Chubba Hubbard—who is widely considered one of the two top backs in next year’s draft along with Travis Ettiene—looked like he was in a hostage video.  Obviously his meat head coach came in there and was domineering and Chubba caved.  Then he had a statement that was way too defensive.  In life, being defensive never plays well.  He’s a kid so it’s unfair.  I wish someone was there to mentor him.  He had a lot more power in that situation than he showed.  He could have gotten way more than he did.  

Just because Hubbard was offended doesn't give him the right to threaten to quit. I don't understand that at all. These guys are so tough and so progressive, but yet they take to Twitter to do all their yapping. Jamal Adams is same way with the crap he spewed about Brees. 

There is so much hypocritical bs going on its absurd.

I'm an absolute huge Gundy fan.  

In Gundy’s defense, he did come around a few days later and essentially said empathetic things for his players.  I think what set me off was that he looked like he made Chubba come around and apologize but didn’t give much back initially.  Later, after some more meetings, he warmed up to what the players were saying.

I do agree that Chubba should not have done it on Twitter first.  None of us would want to be accused that way of anything.  

I have never seen the channel that caused the whole issue but that’s beside the point.  It badly offended some of his players and that’s what I was getting out of it.  He can be empathetic to the guys on his team, who work to help him win and make lots of money.

Don’t forget, he has had other serious controversies around him involving race and cheating.  Lot of smoke follows this guy everywhere he goes.  

Regarding the I’m a man, I’m 40, it was a cartoonish way to go about it even if the intent was positive to defend his player.

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In Gundy’s defense, he did come around a few days later and essentially said empathetic things for his players.  I think what set me off was that he looked like he made Chubba come around and apologize but didn’t give much back initially.  Later, after some more meetings, he warmed up to what the players were saying.

I do agree that Chubba should not have done it on Twitter first.  None of us would want to be accused that way of anything.  

I have never seen the channel that caused the whole issue but that’s beside the point.  It badly offended some of his players and that’s what I was getting out of it.  He can be empathetic to the guys on his team, who work to help him win and make lots of money.

Don’t forget, he has had other serious controversies around him involving race and cheating.  Lot of smoke follows this guy everywhere he goes.  

Regarding the I’m a man, I’m 40, it was a cartoonish way to go about it even if the intent was positive to defend his player.

But we as coaches think forums, writers, and Twitter tough guys are cartoonish. Right or wrong. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

But we as coaches think forums, writers, and Twitter tough guys are cartoonish. Right or wrong. 

Honestly, that’s fair.  You guys are in your profession and obviously have a depth of knowledge and practicality that would escape a typical fan.  It is two different levels.  Doesn’t make anyone right or wrong, just that it’s fair.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

For the first time in some of these players lives they actually feel like they have a voice. Whether I agree or disagree with how some are going about it doesn't matter one bit. Kids feel like they have a chance at being heard and to me that's a positive.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the first time in some of these players lives they actually feel like they have a voice. Whether I agree or disagree with how some are going about it doesn't matter one bit. Kids feel like they have a chance at being heard and to me that's a positive.

Being heard is one thing, boycotting their "job" is another.  JMO.  

I’m reminded of the Nazi case in Skokie.  Nazis were allowed under the first amendment to march through Skokie, Illinois, which has a considerable Jewish population. 

Kansas State as a state school might have the same problem.  The punk kid could make that argument.  The football players are free to boycott but I don’t know if the state can put in the policy to prevent the loser from speaking out on Twitter.  They could prevent actions beyond speech, but presumably they already do.  

While a corporation is allowed to have policies, they are not a state actor.  The first amendment requires attachment to the government.   Here, you have a state university.  That could lead to a complication unless a court could navigate around this.  I don’t specialize in this by any stretch of the imagination so maybe somebody in that realm can devise a creative work around.  

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m reminded of the Nazi case in Skokie.  Nazis were allowed under the first amendment to march through Skokie, Illinois, which has a considerable Jewish population. 

Kansas State as a state school might have the same problem.  The punk kid could make that argument.  The football players are free to boycott but I don’t know if the state can put in the policy to prevent the loser from speaking out on Twitter.  They could prevent actions beyond speech, but presumably they already do.  

While a corporation is allowed to have policies, they are not a state actor.  The first amendment requires attachment to the government.   Here, you have a state university.  That could lead to a complication unless a court could navigate around this.  I don’t specialize in this by any stretch of the imagination so maybe somebody in that realm can devise a creative work around.  

I concur, a can of worms is this one.

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

From my perspective, the Kansas St players are giving the fool exactly what he wants, attention.  If they didn't boycott we wouldn't know anything about this.  Whatever happened to simply ignoring other people.  I do it everyday.

"Reverse" discrimination is what could be construed.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

From my perspective, the Kansas St players are giving the fool exactly what he wants, attention.  If they didn't boycott we wouldn't know anything about this.  Whatever happened to simply ignoring other people.  I do it everyday.

100%

Archived