National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DireBump said:

There has got to be more than smoke to these stories.  There are so many players who have spoken out about it, and a lot of high profile players too.  This isn't just guys who are disgruntled about playing time.

Wadley's accounts are probably the most damning of Kirk Ferentz as well.

This is one of the 3 people from the firm Iowa hired for an internal investigation.  After how they've handled this, I hope Ferentz and the whole university go down.  Their fan comments on Twitter are disgraceful too.  Iowa is quickly closing in on the group of MSU, PSU, and OSU...and not in a good way.

Quote below is from the linked article.  There is a lot more damning info about her acts at MSU too.  Seems like a good person to do an independent investigation.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/10/michigan-state-university-william-strampel/590146002/

Zayko won't be in her position for much longer. MSU confirmed Thursday after the Free Press inquired about it that Zayko resigned her position last week as the school's top lawyer and will take a job in the private sector. There's no end date set for when Zayko will step down.

Zayko's resignation comes as two board members — Dianne Byrum and Brian Mosallam — told the Free Press she should leave. They say Zayko knew about complaints against Strampel and Nassar and never brought them to the attention of the board, whom she regularly briefed on issues.

"The fact that Kristine Zayko was aware of the 2014 Nassar investigation and Strampel's history since 2005 and yet never elevated either to the board is very troubling," Mosallam told the Free Press earlier this week before Zayko's resignation was known. "I believe Kristine Zayko should do what is right for MSU and immediately step down as acting general counsel. I have zero confidence in her ability to properly advise this university. We need someone from the outside with a different mindset and approach to be MSU's acting general counsel."

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

There has got to be more than smoke to these stories.  There are so many players who have spoken out about it, and a lot of high profile players too.  This isn't just guys who are disgruntled about playing time.

Wadley's accounts are probably the most damning of Kirk Ferentz as well.

Definitely more smoke building. Bigger names than Ferentz have been removed with things that started off small. We know that better than anyone. Certainly will be something to keep an eye on for sure.

10 minutes ago, Sark said:

I think you have to let this shake out a little bit. Sounds like Brian Ferentz is a jerk, just like the S&C guy. Using racial stereotypes, even if you’re joking, does not cut it. The meal stuff is common, either on the “gain weight” or “lose weight” side. And some players always feel put upon by the coach. I was around an IU player and one of his parents at a graduation party and in a group of people they really unloaded on the coach. He’s a fake, his public side is different than his team side, he’s a jerk who rides certain players and has favorites, he makes his position coaches do all the dirty work and he claims credit publicly, he makes playing decisions based on favoritism, etc. Not ranting and raving but more chit chat, but definitely with an edge. The definition of a disgruntled player and little league parent (it was the mom) and soon to be a former player. The coach? Terry Hoeppner.

I get what you're saying, but it isn't just two random coaches, it is undoubtedly the two coaches Kirk Ferentz trusted the most since he had been with Doyle for so long.  If the two most trusted assistants are doing these things, it is highly unlikely the coach doesn't know.  At a minimum, they feel safe doing those things because of the culture the head coach has created.

And, this isn't just a disgruntled mom.  This is at least a dozen current and former players, with at least one of them currently in the NFL.  Some of these guys don't have any dog in the fight anymore and are still coming out about it.  I don't know if I trust everything Wadley said, but there are plenty of other stories out there.

It is still just in the smoke stage, but there's enough smoke it is getting pretty hard to see.

I think part of my opinion comes from when I played baseball in college.  I was a pitcher, and our pitching coach was a complete a-hole.  I walked onto the team as a pitcher and shortstop, and he scheduled my bullpens at the same time as the hitting coach scheduled my batting practice.  I ended up only being able to play pitcher, which wasn't that big of a deal since it is hard to play both, but I was a lot better shortstop and never got the chance.

The pitching coach was close to the head coach, and after my first season, the head coach joked with me that the pitching coach said I was either going to be on the team only as a pitcher, or I wouldn't be on the team at all.  During that first season, I was even made to be the batting practice pitcher before our games.  A few times I would throw a couple hundred pitches (not hard obviously) in batting practice, and then have to come into games later that day and pitch.

The pitching coach was in charge of our conditioning too, and some of it was over the top.  Our team got in trouble once, and had 5:30 am practices.  We were going to run with the barbell's from the weight room above our head, and before we started, somebody was turning theirs to set it on its end so they didn't have to hold it while waiting, and the end smoked me in the face.  Put about a 2 inch cut on my cheek that was bleeding everywhere.  Still have a sweet scar haha.  I couldn't do anything that day since I had to go to the health center to get looked at.  The next morning, we had weights on towels on the gym floor, and were pushing them around for conditioning.   We were bent over so our knees couldn't touch, and the blood rushing to my head was causing my cut to bleed and I was getting dizzy (I probably should have had them check for a concussion the day before).  The coach was all over me the whole time.  Just trash talking and being a prick.  Making us do extra because I couldn't do it.  Head coach was there and didn't care one bit.  I get trying to motivate, but it wasn't that.  It was just being an ass and abusing power.

At the start of my 2nd year, I was frustrated about how something went down, and voiced my frustration to the coaches.  They held it over my head for months, and I was kicked off the team the week before we started playing games.  Wasn't our worst pitcher by any stretch of the imagination, but they wanted to send a message.  A couple other guys had issues with how the assistant coach was handling things during the season and they got kicked off too.

We all knew the pitching coach did the stuff he did because the head coach condoned it.  Our hitting coach that year was awesome.  At one point before he got into coaching, he was the top prospect in the Brewer's system, but threw his arm out and wasn't the same.  Super knowledgeable, and a good guy.  He ended up getting the hell out after one season because of the culture there.

There wasn't a chance that most of us would talk to the head coach about things because we knew he was close to the pitching coach.  There was nobody we could go to without getting in trouble.

After I left, a new head coach came in, and told the pitching coach to take a hike for his antics.  99% of the time, stuff like this with assistants doesn't happen with a head coach who has instilled a culture of respect.  It happens because the coach is similar to the guys doing the abusing.

I must have missed this when it happened, or forgot about it by now, but I didn’t realize we had a really good walk on kicker coming in this year. Chris Freeman was the Gatorade player of the year in indiana in soccer. He was ranked the #9 kicker in the class by Kohls kicking. Campbell was #6 in his class.

Freeman had some D1 interest, and offers from Indiana State and Army. I wondered who our backup kicker might be as sometimes they can be really valuable (PU game this year).

Thanks, Leather.  I missed that too.  Competition is always important at all positions IMO.  

By the way, I’m curious about your pitching. What would be the scouting report on your repertoire?  Throw hard?  Off speed? Control?

Playing a college sport gets into pretty rarified air but it’s great you did with a science major too.  

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks, Leather.  I missed that too.  Competition is always important at all positions IMO.  

By the way, I’m curious about your pitching. What would be the scouting report on your repertoire?  Throw hard?  Off speed? Control?

Playing a college sport gets into pretty rarified air but it’s great you did with a science major too.  

I was usually around 84-85. Topped out at 87. I don’t know if it was because of my science mind or what, but I had a nasty change up. I always remember one summer league game, it was on fire. Against most of the Eastern Illinois starting lineup, I struck out 10 in 4 innings with only a fastball and changeup. I went 6 1/3 that day, and 3 2/3 the next day...pretty sure that was my shoulder's downfall, but it was to beat our rival and make it to the league championship, so it was worth it! My curveball was decent, nothing spectacular. Control was my main thing. Pounded the bottom of the zone and got a ton of ground balls. My main problems were that I didn't throw hard enough, and I threw too over the top so I could never get movement on my fastball.

The year I played, I was academic all conference, and it was crazy looking at the list of what people majored in. Tough majors were few and far between on that list.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Surprised that Allen isn't listed as "all good...for now".  I think from outside looking in, he maybe shouldn't be rated safer, but if you know the program he is building and the character he is and looks for, it would take multiple bad seasons just to get on the hot seat.  Especially when at least 67 coaches are rated safer than him.

Other notes, have to laugh at Scott Frost.  Went from "untouchable" to "win or be fired".  Couldn't happen to a better douche guy.

Most of the B1G is pretty safe.  Lovie, Ferentz, and Harbaugh were given 3, Frost was a 5, and everybody else was 0, 1, or 2.

I think the only two coaches at risk of falling below 2 this year would be Brohm if Purdue struggles and Locksley at Maryland.  I think every other coach could have a bad year and still be a 0, 1, or 2 unless there are off field incidents like Ferentz had.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll throw this here but it's more of a lower level college football question. I know we have some coaches on the board....variety of levels. I just got a text from a good friend. Son is set to play smaller ball in Illinois this upcoming season. His position coach said Spring....but said won't be announced until after tuition is due August 1st. Anyone else hear things like this? CCIW conference in Illinois.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll throw this here but it's more of a lower level college football question. I know we have some coaches on the board....variety of levels. I just got a text from a good friend. Son is set to play smaller ball in Illinois this upcoming season. His position coach said Spring....but said won't be announced until after tuition is due August 1st. Anyone else hear things like this? CCIW conference in Illinois.

Don't have any idea about colleges in Illinois.  We already cancelled middle school fall sports, and there is a meeting the 29th do decide high school fall sports.  I'm assuming they will get cancelled too.

Especially for smaller colleges that don't have to worry about tv money, no reason they can't try to do it in the spring.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Don't have any idea about colleges in Illinois.  We already cancelled middle school fall sports, and there is a meeting the 29th do decide high school fall sports.  I'm assuming they will get cancelled too.

Especially for smaller colleges that don't have to worry about tv money, no reason they can't try to do it in the spring.

Spring it is from what I was told. Growing up in Northern Illinois I can say this. January or February football? Haha. Cool. Best chance is to go last week of Feb/early March...again at best. I personally just think it's a stall tactic. Season won't be played at lower levels.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Spring it is from what I was told. Growing up in Northern Illinois I can say this. January or February football? Haha. Cool. Best chance is to go last week of Feb/early March...again at best. I personally just think it's a stall tactic. Season won't be played at lower levels.

Yeah, a January start could be some brutal weather.  Wouldn't surprise me if things get cancelled.  I think everyone is just hoping to push things back a few months and get a vaccine by then, but I'm skeptical that we'll have a fully working, safe vaccine by early 2021.

I worry there will be more stories like Eduardo Rodriguez for the Red Sox, and the Olympic rowers where world class athletes have complications with the virus.  People have been hoping that athletes would be fairly safe, but a few more stories like that and I think it will keep giving people pause.  Most of them are alright when they get it, but they aren't 100% immune from having complications.

I think too often the death toll/rate is all that is looked at and the complications and long term sickness some people get with the virus are overlooked.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

Notre Dame has 10 ACC games...will be eligible for the conference title game.

See ACC is kissing ND butt. Should make them sweat this year since they think they are to good to join a conference.  Also saw ACC will have one non conference game and it as to be in the state of the ACC team.

Archived