National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Not here, but it's a common refrain elsewhere. And it also explains why the schools are inclined to shut things down...untold potential liability down the road should these kids sustain long-term ailments.

They are willing to sign a waiver. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sark said:

E learning will forever change the college landscape, allowing many to “attend” while greatly reducing the need to come to a campus. The change won’t occur overnight, but it will happen and College Sports will be permanently impacted. If you’re a fan, enjoy it while you can. 

The pandemic's impact on e-learning at the university level may well alter the traditional college experience in ways we never imagined. Will have pros and cons I imagine, but hard to work past the cons for me personally.

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then come up with one that's enforceable. 

You most likely can't. The waivers were being unilaterally imposed on young kids with no representation. Considering the power imbalance between the players and their coaches/administrators, not to mention the fact that these kids aren't even being paid for their labor, I doubt many courts would uphold any waiver of this sort. It also doesn't help that the NCAA is banning any liabilities waivers, of course.

Look, I completely understand why you are disappointed. I would be too. But few, of any, medical professionals agree that players would be at lower risk with football than without. And even if they were, that's a better argument for shutting the campus down entirely than for playing football. At the end of the day, the upcoming football season is, in the grand scheme of things, largely meaningless. Given the risk to human life, shutting it down is an easy decision.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Perfect tweet by our guy

This is really the challenge for sports and college students on campus more broadly, though, right? What's the reality that an institution can control the movement and interaction of its student body, athletes or otherwise, to that level? All it takes is a relatively small number of people getting infected off campus (home, friends, work, etc.) to potentially start a tidal wave on campus itself.

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If colleges don't play football this season (not saying they should or shouldn't), there will be numerous (mostly smaller) schools that may fold their football programs or they may have to move to non or partial scholarship. Many schools were in financial trouble prior to COVID and now COVID is causing big drops in revenue. If football is generating no revenue, it will be difficult to justify having so many athletes on scholarship and pay so many coaches, trainers, etc., when cuts are being made on the academic side. It will also be devastating to non-revenue sports.

It will be especially bad for the non-flagship public colleges and universities, that are really struggling anyway. The Regents and politicians will do everything to protect the flagships and will make the lower-tier publics bear the worst of it. Not a good time to be a Directional (Eastern, Western, etc.)

It's a sad and concerning situation. And, taking the athletics element out of it, we may well se a lot of smaller colleges/universities fold all together. Higher education is not immune.

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

You most likely can't. The waivers were being unilaterally imposed on young kids with no representation. Considering the power imbalance between the players and their coaches/administrators, not to mention the fact that these kids aren't even being paid for their labor, and I doubt many courts would uphold any waiver of this sort. It also doesn't help that the NCAA is banning any liabilities waivers, of course.

Look, I completely understand why you are disappointed. I would be too. But few, of any, medical professionals agree that players would be at lower risk with football than without. And even if they were, that's a better argument for shutting the campus down entirely than for playing football.

There are very few medical professionals that I trust 🤷‍♂️

I dont agree with much that you said at all there. 

I don't trust the medical establishment much myself. But if forced to choose, I trust medical experts on this matter a heck of a lot more than I do a group of football coaches.

Look, I don't disagree that given the risks on campus in general, that playing football doesn't make things that much more dangerous. But again, that is more an indictment of the idea of reopening colleges during a raging pandemic than it is a defense of playing a few relatively meaningless games in front of few, if any, fans.

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't trust the medical establishment much myself. But if forced to choose, I trust medical experts on this matter a heck of a lot more than I do a group of football coaches.

Look, I don't disagree that given the risks on campus in general, that playing football doesn't make things that much more dangerous. But again, that is more an indictment of the idea of reopening colleges during a raging pandemic than it is a defense of playing a few relatively meaningless games in front of few, if any, fans.

If you wanna listen to us, then don't. 

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The football coaches are sending out their tests compared to positives. Literally a lower rate then the gen public 😅😅

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The football coaches are sending out their tests compared to positives. Literally a lower rate then the gen public 😅😅

I have no idea what this means, or what the apparent significance is. If you're saying that the positive rate per test for football coaches is lower than the general public, then that isn't surprising at all. Coaches are being tested much more frequently than the general public, so in the aggregate they are going to take many more negative tests than will the public at large, who for the most part only get tested when potentially exposed or symptomatic.

In any event, the preseason positive rate for coaches has little bearing on whether there should be a football season this year.

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Neb. saying they will play no matter what and will leave the Big Ten if they have to.

Like Rabby said earlier today. If there was one school to go rogue....it would be Nebraska. They've been desperate to figure a way out of the Big 10 for years. This just might their chance. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Like Rabby said earlier today. If there was one school to go rogue....it would be Nebraska. They've been desperate to figure a way out of the Big 10 for years. This just might their chance. 

only if we could get them to take Rutgers and Maryland with them.

I understand everyone's disappointment about not having any college football this fall but some of you act like they are doing it just on a whim.  You act like they are doing it to just piss you off and you are taking it to personal.  I am sure everyone in charge has done their due diligence and talked to many, many people about this and it looks like this is what they feel will b e best for everyone involved.  I get it because the NCAA tournament is my favorite sporting event by far and was so upset when they cancelled it.  I thought here was no way I could go without seeing the tournament but you know what the sun came up the next morning and I still went on my daily life.

Archived