National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

In 1998, after my first game of 8th grade jr high football, I broke my both my ulna and radius bones in my left wrist in practice. Lost a whole year of eligibility.  I know what it is like to lose a season.  It sucks.

Awful. First year of coaching we had a 3 year start blow his knee in June at camp... oof. That was rough. Rough. 

My problem with this decision is it seems very hypocritical.  It's safe to have 30k to 40k kids on campus,  but not safe to play fall sports?

That makes zero sense.  If the athletes and their families are aware of all the factors and still want to participate in fall sports,  they should be given that option. 

The Big Ten could not have played this any worse, and other conferences will use this against it in recruiting for a long time. If you’re going to cancel, don’t let it leak. Make a decisive decision and try to appear as united as possible. At least that would be respectable, whether you agree or disagree with their reasoning. Instead it looks like the Big Ten looks like a complete train wreck.

26 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

My problem with this decision is it seems very hypocritical.  It's safe to have 30k to 40k kids on campus,  but not safe to play fall sports?

That makes zero sense.  If the athletes and their families are aware of all the factors and still want to participate in fall sports,  they should be given that option. 

I was listening to Cowherd yesterday and he was talking about the economic impact "cancelling" a season would have.  Not just for the schools, but the private sector as well.  There will be a trickle down effect.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I was listening to Cowherd yesterday and he was talking about the economic impact "cancelling" a season would have.  Not just for the schools, but the private sector as well.  There will be a trickle down effect.  

Yep. For those of us who get down to Bloomington often I'm hearing Opie Taylor's is closed for good. Here's a place that's been in Bloomington since the 80's and they couldn't even make it to the season. But to my point. So many of these businesses survive the lean months because of football weekends and of course 15-20 home games in hoops. 

I know $ isn't everything but it has to be factored in. So far I don't think the economic impacts have been given it's weight. 

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Here is a sentence I don't think I have ever said....Cowherd isn't wrong.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. For those of us who get down to Bloomington often I'm hearing Opie Taylor's is closed for good. Here's a place that's been in Bloomington since the 80's and they couldn't even make it to the season. But to my point. So many of these businesses survive the lean months because of football weekends and of course 15-20 home games in hoops. 

I know $ isn't everything but it has to be factored in. So far I don't think the economic impacts have been given it's weight. 

At what point do the economic impacts become the top priority?  I dunno.  But they should be given their due.

2 hours ago, rico said:

was listening to the Sirius college station this morning. They said that it would cost about $50,000 a week, at a minimum, to covid test each member of the football program twice a week, which is what is being recommended. The Power 5 schools could handle that, but this is where the smaller conferences would run into major issues--especially when factoring in that they are losing their big paydays playing major schools.

2 hours ago, rico said:

At what point do the economic impacts become the top priority?  I dunno.  But they should be given their due.

This why I don't get some of the people's reaction to this.  They seem like that the NCAA is doing this to spite people instead of looking deeper on why they might cancel the season.  You think the NCAA would just cancel the season for no good reason because they will be losing a boat load of money if the season is cancelled.  So to me they must have a very good reason to be thinking about cancelling the season.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This why I don't get some of the people's reaction to this.  They seem like that the NCAA is doing this to spite people instead of looking deeper on why they might cancel the season.  You think the NCAA would just cancel the season for no good reason because they will be losing a boat load of money if the season is cancelled.  So to me they must have a very good reason to be thinking about cancelling the season.

No we don't, Scott. We are frustrated by lies, agendas, .01%. And that .01% can be taken with a BIG time grain of salt. 

We are frustrated by others being scared for us. We are frustrated that some are scared of unknowns, when we can't ever control unknowns. 

We understand the difficulty of the decisions. 

We also don't believe they should be allowed to take our seasons, and a lot of that stems from the fact that we don't trust them to begin with.

To me the NCAA and the schools has all the liabilities so they have the right to make these decisions.  Just like in pro sports where the athletes think they should get more of the pie but they don't put up anything to deserve that. The owners put up all the money to buy the teams so they get the last vote on things.  I think this situation is the same because the schools has every thing to lose if they make the wrong decision but the players doesn't.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

we could have played the NCAAT in March... easy peasy. 

No fans, but still... it would have been simple. I get why we canceled then, but in hindsight we didn't need to. 

Well baseball is playing with no fans and we see what is happening to some of the teams.  The players are not listening to the rules and still are going out and getting the virus.  If they could play in a bubble just like the NBA it is doable but with all the travel it is not very likely/

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well baseball is playing with no fans and we see what is happening to some of the teams.  The players are not listening to the rules and still are going out and getting the virus.  If they could play in a bubble just like the NBA it is doable but with all the travel it is not very likely/

So just the heck with it? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So just the heck with it? 

if they cancel the college season I am sure they will get that year of eligibility back so the players won't lose a thing.  The only problem is that having the seniors or juniors coming back with the freshman coming in so it will be hard to count for all of those scholarships.

Archived