National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Sun Bowl has survived WWII,  Vietnam and many other national issues could not defeat Covid

A different sport.  However, I heard that the University of Colorado put a fork in their basketball program, Tuesday morning.  No idea if or when it may return.

On one hand... Does OSU making the playoffs help Indiana? If they don't, they're certainly guaranteed a NY6 spot which takes one away from Indiana.

I'm not convinced the committee would put an 8-1 Indiana team in the playoffs unless we blow the doors off Wisconsin/Northwestern if we make it to the B1G Championship.

5 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

On one hand... Does OSU making the playoffs help Indiana? If they don't, they're certainly guaranteed a NY6 spot which takes one away from Indiana.

I'm not convinced the committee would put an 8-1 Indiana team in the playoffs unless we blow the doors off Wisconsin/Northwestern if we make it to the B1G Championship.

This

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

This

12 hours ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

I heard some guy talking about this on the B1G radio network the other day. He was asked if IU/Northwestern won the conference championship game and finished 8-1, would they make the CFP?

His answer, frankly was a little disturbing to me. He said that if IU and OSU had the same resume--8-1 and having lost a close game to a highly ranked team, that there is no way that the committee would put an IU into the playoffs. He said that the selection process looks at things like viewership, and in normal year fan travelling to games, in part when making their decisions. If that is even partially true, than I think the whole thing is a sham. How does an upstart program ever have a chance against the traditional blue blood programs? I have always thought that the CFP selection committee starts each season with basically 10-12 teams that they view as realistic options for the tournament, that give or take 1-2 teams, it's the same names every year, and that it would be almost impossible for any program outside those to break through and replace one of the supposed elites on a regular basis. I guess this year, with IU at least being in the conversation kind of cements what I have believed, and this guy saying it confirms my beliefs.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I heard some guy talking about this on the B1G radio network the other day. He was asked if IU/Northwestern won the conference championship game and finished 8-1, would they make the CFP?

His answer, frankly was a little disturbing to me. He said that if IU and OSU had the same resume--8-1 and having lost a close game to a highly ranked team, that there is no way that the committee would put an IU into the playoffs. He said that the selection process looks at things like viewership, and in normal year fan travelling to games, in part when making their decisions. If that is even partially true, than I think the whole thing is a sham. How does an upstart program ever have a chance against the traditional blue blood programs? I have always thought that the CFP selection committee starts each season with basically 10-12 teams that they view as realistic options for the tournament, that give or take 1-2 teams, it's the same names every year, and that it would be almost impossible for any program outside those to break through and replace one of the supposed elites on a regular basis. I guess this year, with IU at least being in the conversation kind of cements what I have believed, and this guy saying it confirms my beliefs.

I don't necessarily, automatically believe that we SHOULD be in at 8-1 and "winning" the conference. We would have two "good" wins at that point. NW and UW and those teams would be ranked like 17-25 or something after we beat them. 

OSU beat us, flat out, they are the best team in the conference. The title itself is meaningless to me. If we would have beaten OSU, we'd be in. I'm good with that. ND should be in by the looks of things, Bama obviously... only two spots left. Clemson beats ND in the conference championship, lets say.. how do you keep them out? Then you have OSU... and they beat us. Florida shows up in the conference championship game and beats Bama.. that would be the worse case scenario for the CFP. 

I guess I don't see where, in a year like this, we would be deserving of getting in the CFP? We didn't beat the leagues best team and would have back doored into getting in the conference championship. NW is out.. they lost @MSU who is not good, at all. That's on them, not some selection process by the committee. The idea is to get the best 4 teams in the playoff and to me Clemson, ND, OSU, and Bama are the best 4 teams. 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't necessarily, automatically believe that we SHOULD be in at 8-1 and "winning" the conference. We would have two "good" wins at that point. NW and UW and those teams would be ranked like 17-25 or something after we beat them. 

OSU beat us, flat out, they are the best team in the conference. The title itself is meaningless to me. If we would have beaten OSU, we'd be in. I'm good with that. ND should be in by the looks of things, Bama obviously... only two spots left. Clemson beats ND in the conference championship, lets say.. how do you keep them out? Then you have OSU... and they beat us. Florida shows up in the conference championship game and beats Bama.. that would be the worse case scenario for the CFP. 

I guess I don't see where, in a year like this, we would be deserving of getting in the CFP? We didn't beat the leagues best team and would have back doored into getting in the conference championship. NW is out.. they lost @MSU who is not good, at all. That's on them, not some selection process by the committee. The idea is to get the best 4 teams in the playoff and to me Clemson, ND, OSU, and Bama are the best 4 teams. 

I agree with your take. I guess where I was coming from is that it came across that IU, or any program that doesn't have the brand of an OSU, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma....stands little chance of getting in, if all other things were equal. That the committee looks at non-competition factors--translated, the bottom line, to make decisions, regardless if a team is worthy.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree with your take. I guess where I was coming from is that it came across that IU, or any program that doesn't have the brand of an OSU, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma....stands little chance of getting in, if all other things were equal. That the committee looks at non-competition factors--translated, the bottom line, to make decisions, regardless if a team is worthy.

We haven't really seen that truly matter though, have we? Bama, OSU, Clemson, OU, UGA all travel very, very well. Who else has gotten in the final 4? Oregon and FSU.. no worries there. Do we have an example of a team that "should have" or "could have" gotten in but were overlooked and passed over by one of the mentioned teams? Maybe UCF? I would go to 8 teams... 5 conference champions and 3 at large bids... simply the way I would do it. 

My idea would like like 

1- Bama (SEC Champ)

8- USC (P12 Champ).. they are leading in the rankings, so I just chose them. 

4- OSU (B10 Champ)... for the sake of discussion

5- TAM (2nd at large)

3- Clemson (1st at large)

6- UF (3rd at large)

2- ND (ACC Champ)

7- Iowa St (B12 Champ)... they are leading 

If we were to win BTT and OSU stays put... UF would be out.. and OSU would move into the 2nd at large spot. 

ORRRRRR... how about this... make one of those at large bid and automatic non power 5 school, that is in a conference, no matter what. 

1- Bama

8- USC

4-OSU

5-TAM

3-Clemson

6-Cinci

2-ND

7-ISU

I like that better. Sorry I'm talking to myself at this point, but geeze.. that option seems very simple to me and it would almost force ND to move to a conference. 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We haven't really seen that truly matter though, have we? Bama, OSU, Clemson, OU, UGA all travel very, very well. Who else has gotten in the final 4? Oregon and FSU.. no worries there. Do we have an example of a team that "should have" or "could have" gotten in but were overlooked and passed over by one of the mentioned teams? Maybe UCF? I would go to 8 teams... 5 conference champions and 3 at large bids... simply the way I would do it. 

No we haven't...and sorry, work happens so I couldn't respond.

I am not communicating this very well. I am not looking at what could have happened in the past. My concern is with the guy's take that regardless of whether two teams were on equal footing, the program with the better off the field stuff, the larger fanbase who travels better, should go. To me, this takes away any incentive for upstart programs to spend to get to the top, if they feel it's gonna always be the old boys' club every year. Part of the reason I like college hoops much better...many  more teams have made it deeper into the tournament.

I agree that an 8 team playoff is where this should be headed. I don't agree that every conference champion should get an automatic bid. For instance, why should a two loss Iowa St. or Oklahoma for that matter, get in over a more deserving team with only 1 loss? Some years a conference will be down--PAC 12 for example. Just because a team wins a mediocre league doesn't mean they should get in.

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No we haven't...and sorry, work happens so I couldn't respond.

I am not communicating this very well. I am not looking at what could have happened in the past. My concern is with the guy's take that regardless of whether two teams were on equal footing, the program with the better off the field stuff, the larger fanbase who travels better, should go. To me, this takes away any incentive for upstart programs to spend to get to the top, if they feel it's gonna always be the old boys' club every year. Part of the reason I like college hoops much better...many  more teams have made it deeper into the tournament.

I agree that an 8 team playoff is where this should be headed. I don't agree that every conference champion should get an automatic bid. For instance, why should a two loss Iowa St. or Oklahoma for that matter, get in over a more deserving team with only 1 loss? Some years a conference will be down--PAC 12 for example. Just because a team wins a mediocre league doesn't mean they should get in.

Because it's too hard to compare football from conference to conference. You dont have the games needed to compare them. How would anyone know how good the P12 is this year or any conference is this year? Play best on best. 

If thats the case that "down conferences" shouldn't get into tourneys... why does these po dunk conferences get anyone in the NCAAT? 

I understand what you were saying about if all things are equal and all that. 

8 team playoff seems more than fair to me. I agree it's really hard to compare across conferences.

I wouldn't reserve a spot for a group of five school either though. Especially if we have a season go by and none of the G5 teams are that particularly impressive, there's no reason one of them should take a spot from a really damn good power five school. If a year goes by like this season, where Cincinnati is having a particularly impressive year, they don't need a spot reserved. They're currently sitting at 7th in the country, they're more than likely going to be in once Bama takes care of Florida. 

I've also seen a solution that I would honestly find pretty intriguing. It doesn't involve expanding the playoffs, but rather waiting until after bowl season to start the playoffs. This way you're trying to keep the significance of the "big" bowl (such as the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl etc.) that have been lost in the CFP era.

After Bowl Season, the committee would select a 4-team playoff. It's not a perfect solution but I do like how it would bring back the significance of calling yourselves the Rose Bowl Champions or the Cotton Bowl champions, or at least bring more significance to it than the current solution.

If ND beats Clemson again, the Tigers are out even if they are one of the best 4 teams.  If Clemson smokes ND with Lawrence, then the Irish should be out.  Either way I don't want 2 teams in the CFP that could meet for a 3rd time.  However, I feel IU could get in along with tOSU if things break right.  May be wishful thinking...

Archived