Jump to content

Archie and IU may not be done with 2020 according to this article.


Recommended Posts

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-kuminga-mulls-options-brandon-lieb-commits-on-tap

One name that wasn’t included in last week’s Evans Seven that could reclassify into the 2020 class later this summer is Brandon Lieb   

A 7-footer from the state of Illinois, Lieb is the trendiest prospect in the sport right now and for good reason.

I watched his highlights over the weekend and I have to say, I was heavily impressed. He is not just some plodding big man that can’t move or score outside of five-feet from the basket. Sure, he is at his best near the goal and is a reliable drop off scorer or weakside putback finisher. However, he can convert over either shoulder in the post, runs the floor with a purpose and can hit difficult pick-and-pop or trail jumpers to the perimeter.

Slated to take a prep year in the fall, it is going to be difficult for Lieb to stick to his original plans after the tsunami of interest that has come his way. Offers are in hand from Bucknell, Illinois State, Toledo and Tulsa, while a number of others including Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma, Penn State, Providence, and Seton Hall have also begun to express interest with the thought of potentially redshirting him this year.

Does Lieb make the leap and decide to enroll this fall, or does he take a prep year and see who else might enter the picture thanks to an extra year of exposure? Options are not in short supply for someone that could be the final piece to someone’s roster for the upcoming season.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did it!  

Wait.....what???? Did someone hack into your profile and is posting this, claiming to be you? You—- the guy who, for as long as I can remember, has lamented that kids don’t stay committed to their pro

And in the case of Blue So much food, only one tooth.

Posted Images

This would seem like the ideal situation. Get a big guy who could redshirt as opposed to doing a prep school year. We obviously have room for him and would have an additional guy with a year in a college weight room ready for the front court in 21-22. Just make sure he is a good enough player to develop and contribute. Pass if this is Jeremiah April 2.0.

Edited by Go__Hoosiers
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect situation to me. As article says. Get to campus,  hit the weights, learn from TJD/Brunk,etc....and hit the ground running in 21 along with Logan and anyone else we decide to bring in. 

Edit-Should have added this. What this highlights is a coach with an understanding of roster construction. What a novel idea. Oh....we might lose someone or 2 this year. Bring a kid in now. Redshirt him and have him up and running in a year. What a concept.  

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

He's got some skills for a kid his size.  Reminds me a little of Frank Kaminsky.  That might be a stretch...but I think you take him if he's interested in signing.  Yes, I know...it's a highlight tape.   😁

+ 1 I know it is a highlight tape, but he seems to have quick feet, good hands and decent shooting form!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

+ 1 I know it is a highlight tape, but he seems to have quick feet, good hands and decent shooting form!

I totally agree.  A 7'0 kid who can move to a quick jump stop and finish with his left hand gets my attention.  And as you said, he's got decent form in his shot.   👍 And Kaminsky was a 3* coming out of hs...as is this young man.  He's worth a shot, IMHO.  😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I totally agree.  A 7'0 kid who can move to a quick jump stop and finish with his left hand gets my attention.  And as you said, he's got decent form in his shot.   👍 And Kaminsky was a 3* coming out of hs...as is this young man.  He's worth a shot, IMHO.  😁

To keep the piggy-back going 😉: he caught the ball well and looked comfortable in traffic. The right coaches to help him with footwork...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Whats every one missing on this kid? Can we see the low lights? I could only make it through half the high lights and wonder why he isnt signed. You cant teach 7 foot, right. Kid has good feet and hands, can shoot better than Brunk or Justin Smith. A year in the weight room. Sign him up.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

If that highlight tape is indicative of his game I would expect him to have a rivals or 247 page. He has neither. My question would be why?  

Same question. What's being missed here. Highlights showed plenty of game. Also one of the longest highlight video's i've ever seen, so plenty to go on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Same question. What's being missed here. Highlights showed plenty of game. Also one of the longest highlight video's i've ever seen, so plenty to go on.

He does have a rivals page I just found it. he’s listed as an Unranked 2021 recruit?  Seems bold to think an unranked 2021 recruit is going to come in and contribute even if he reclasses and redshirts. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He does have a rivals page I just found it. he’s listed as an Unranked 2021 recruit?  Seems bold to think an unranked 2021 recruit is going to come in and contribute even if he reclasses and redshirts. 
 

 

Kids get missed all the time. 7 footers that can move are worth a flyer. Then you have flashbacks to Tijan, April and Bawa.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I recall correctly, George McGinnis did not have a 247 page.  :coffee:

Your right no more kids with a 247 profile just like the great Knight teams 

 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-kuminga-mulls-options-brandon-lieb-commits-on-tap

According to this article other Big Ten teams are poking around all of a sudden.  Curious what changed.  Did local scouts just miss him which led to a delay in interest.  
 

Id say if Archie thinks he fits I’d take him.  Still want TJD to stay his junior year though lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I suppose. But then again how many kids without a 247 page are able to be successful in the Big Ten?

I guess you'd have to define "successful". When you look at the failures of big men during the Crean years, they are extensive. If this kid can come in, redshirt, and play 5-10 minutes a game his freshman year, play solid defense, rebound, and score a bucket or two, I'd call that successful.

If he's someone you can put in the game when we need to "get tall" and not have to worry about being a liability, I'd call that successful. 6-8 points/game, 5 boards, and a block every now and then by his senior year would be a Win in my book.

If Archie's plan is to have some scholarships open year to year, why not take a flyer on a kid like this? Again, they need to do their due diligence, but if they see a 7' kid that can hold his own defensively in the BIG, bring him on board.

Edited by ephul
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ephul said:

I guess you'd have to define "successful". When you look at the failures of big men during the Crean years, they are extensive. If this kid can come in, redshirt, and play 5-10 minutes a game his freshman year, play solid defense, rebound, and score a bucket or two, I'd call that successful.

If he's someone you can put in the game when we need to "get tall" and not have to worry about being a liability, I'd call that successful. 6-8 points/game, 5 boards, and a block every now and then by his senior year would be a Win in my book.

If Archie's plan is to have some scholarships open year to year, why not take a flyer on a kid like this? Again, they need to do their due diligence, but if they see a 7' kid that can hold his own defensively in the BIG, bring him on board.

The only issue is that if IU loses both TJD and Brunk, which seems likely, then you need to replace TJD with more than Duncomb and another guy that can play 5-10 minutes a night. You need another TJD/Zeller/Bryant in the pipeline. Does IU have the scholarship space to add Duncomb and this kid, while also hopefully landing a more elite big in 2021?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only issue is that if IU loses both TJD and Brunk, which seems likely, then you need to replace TJD with more than Duncomb and another guy that can play 5-10 minutes a night. You need another TJD/Zeller/Bryant in the pipeline. Does IU have the scholarship space to add Duncomb and this kid, while also hopefully landing a more elite big in 2021?

To me, if you have Race, and you get both Mason Miller and Kaufman, I think we play a lot of small ball. If Archie feels guys like Duncomb and this kid can both handle defensive duties if we need to go big, we should have enough scoring on the floor, with Phinisee, possibly Lander, Hunter, maybe Wesley, Leal, Galloway, etc.

Don't get me wrong, if Archie feels good about getting a good Big in '21, then playing time would be a selling point and we'd be a pretty attractive spot... I don't know that class, but if we are talking about getting another 6'8"-6'9" kid, can you really sell playing time when you'd have kids like Race and hopefully Miller & Kaufman.

It's just nice to have that 7' kid that can step in when we are playing teams like MSU, Purdue, Illinois, etc. Especially one that knows his role on the team and isn't a liability. I don't know if this kid is good enough or not... But if Archie feels he is, I think it definitely creates a REALLY well rounded team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...