Joshua Sales Commits to Indiana

Leathernecks

We picked up a crystal ball pick from Wiltfong this morning.  Confidence level is a 7.  I just mentioned in another thread, but it seems like the national guys only do 7 or above if they are pretty certain where a guy will go.  9/10 is usually the day before or the day of a commitment and I'm sure they know the recruit has already told the coaches.  7/8 seems like they are pretty sure, and don't be surprised if a commitment comes soon, but no guarantee.

I didn't see a thread on him already, so sorry if I missed one.

247 profile

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Sales' rating jumped fairly substantially today on 247.  He's up to the #9 prospect in the state now.  In the only 247 rankings, and not the composite ranking, they have him as the #3 prospect in the state with McCulley at #2.

Wow, that’s a huge move.  I looked it up just now.  Very nice.  Being ranked 3rd, especially for how talented this group is at the top, is massive.  He’s on the border of being a four star.  

I see that Montigomery tumbled quite a bit.  Austin Booker went by him.  

Steinfeldt is another whose score has shot up.  

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Wow, that’s a huge move.  I looked it up just now.  Very nice.  Being ranked 3rd, especially for how talented this group is at the top, is massive.  He’s on the border of being a four star.  

I see that Montigomery tumbled quite a bit.  Austin Booker went by him.  

Steinfeldt is another whose score has shot up.  

Moral of the story, have interest or commit to IU, go up.  Don't include IU in your final list of schools, go down.

32 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Sales' rating jumped fairly substantially today on 247.  He's up to the #9 prospect in the state now.  In the only 247 rankings, and not the composite ranking, they have him as the #3 prospect in the state with McCulley at #2.

Well if they went up that probably means he won't go to IU since most prospects ratings go down once they commit to IU LOL!

Sales must be athletic for his ranking to soar.  I haven’t seen him play but tried to find some clips.  

One way to study the quickness and agility of an offensive lineman is watch him in space try to hit a smaller target.  At 285 lb, how does he block somebody 50-100 lbs lighter?  Can a big kid run out and pop a smaller kid?  Or will he lack that quickness and whiff?  Some linemen are huge and powerful but they lack that agility to be top notch.  It reminds me in basketball if you put a lumbering big man on a really quick and twitchy guard.  Unless the big kid has the athleticism, the fast guard can always create space and get away.  

In the highlights I saw, Sales showed really good athleticism to find a smaller target and destroy him.  Obviously they are only highlights but you can see the ability.  

1 hour ago, Sark said:

His technique is raw. If you watch him, he moves well but has a tendency to play very upright, which won’t work well at the next level.

its not uncommon, but it's a little skewed on film as well because he's 6'6 playing against HS kids. 

I love football, and watch it a lot, but I am not a talent scout.  My school was too small for football so I played basketball and baseball.

There are a lot of smart football people on here that can get a better feel for Sales than I can.  Is there a current lineman at IU Sales would compare favorably to?  Is he a potential early contributor like Bedford or will he need a couple years to develop?

59 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I love football, and watch it a lot, but I am not a talent scout.  My school was too small for football so I played basketball and baseball.

There are a lot of smart football people on here that can get a better feel for Sales than I can.  Is there a current lineman at IU Sales would compare favorably to?  Is he a potential early contributor like Bedford or will he need a couple years to develop?

I was going to say a couple of years (they all truthfully need that) but top 400 shows he would have an opportunity to play right away. 

I think he starts at RT as a RS FR. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I was going to say a couple of years (they all truthfully need that) but top 400 shows he would have an opportunity to play right away. 

I think he starts at RT as a RS FR. 

Is Caleb gone by then?  I lost track of the math on that.  By the time he’s a RS freshman, he’s probably 6’6 315.  He seems to have a nastiness to him.  I like my linemen super smart on and off the field and ornery and mean on the field.  Like catchers in baseball, they tend to be some of the smarter guys in a team.  Heck the Chiefs have a physician on their o-line.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Is Caleb gone by then?  I lost track of the math on that.  By the time he’s a RS freshman, he’s probably 6’6 315.  He seems to have a nastiness to him.  I like my linemen super smart on and off the field and ornery and mean on the field.  Like catchers in baseball, they tend to be some of the smarter guys in a team.  Heck the Chiefs have a physician on their o-line.  

Yes sir

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived