Politics and college sports

I’m not sure I care who it is, which side of the isle they come from or what their viewpoint is. I always thought the college campus should be where all ideas are discussed and debated. Freedom of speech is, in fact, the freedom of unpopular speech, nobody much cares when politically correct speakers are promoted.  It’s the fringe from either end of the spectrum that need to be protected and debated or debunked.

12 minutes ago, SteveS said:

I’m not sure I care who it is, which side of the isle they come from or what their viewpoint is. I always thought the college campus should be where all ideas are discussed and debated. Freedom of speech is, in fact, the freedom of unpopular speech, nobody much cares when politically correct speakers are promoted.  It’s the fringe from either end of the spectrum that need to be protected and debated or debunked.

Should those fringe speeches be at graduations?

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Well, she was not too fringe to be invited in the first place. Seems a bit thin skinned to cancel because a professor and “almost 500” others didn’t like it. I’m not a big fan of Ivanka Trump, or her husband, but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be allowed to speak to college graduates. Especially since she is currently involved in diplomatic negotiations with many other countries and the UN.

21 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't think I was too fond of the graduation speaker at mine 30 years ago. I didn't boycott however. You are never going to please everyone. Have none or let people accept it for what it is . 

22 hours ago, SteveS said:

I had a HS sociology class where the teacher invited in a KKK member. We learned that the first amendment guarantees free speech. You may not agree with said speech, and don't have to, but you take away someones right to speak and someone can take away your right to speak. Countless lives have been lost protecting our freedoms. There is a reason its part of the first amendment. I'm not so sure if that is taught nowadays. 

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

I had a HS sociology class where the teacher invited in a KKK member. We learned that the first amendment guarantees free speech. You may not agree with said speech, and don't have to, but you take away someones right to speak and someone can take away your right to speak. Countless lives have been lost protecting our freedoms. There is a reason its part of the first amendment. I'm not so sure if that is taught nowadays. 

Amen!

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Now a days your teacher would never work again, and you and all of your classmates would be put into conversion therapy!

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, when you pissed the biggest donors off it would be an "ut oh" moment.  Marshall is only at Wichita because the Koch's coughed up the money.

Yeah...but now that Marshall has lost his luster maybe they arent so concerned. Definitely a problem though when you start chasing money and donations. They had no problem with the politics when they needed money to build what they want and hire the professors but then when that person becomes unpopular it’s oh we didn’t know that about them...let’s rename that science building etc. but well the money has been spent. 

I have a hard time with cancel culture/rename this or that. I’d reckon to say everyone of us probably has an opinion or two that differs from the mainstream somewhere in all the many many issues whether it’s far right, left, conspiracists or whatever but that doesn’t make the person and their accomplishments and good deeds all bad just because they may have been outside the norm of the current modern opinion...especially when societal norms change so often. To think our opinion if we lived in a different time period or part of the country or world wouldn’t likely be different seems pretty foolish. Hindsight is 20/20 they say...easy to judge from our glass houses...especially when the person is long removed perhaps from the action or opinion or heck dead and can’t defend their words or actions. Just not a fan. People are imperfect and judging them on just one action or opinion seems pretty harsh and doesn’t change all the good they did for others. Guess it would be nice we put things in perspective but unfortunately today it’s character assassination and paint with a wide brush and rush to judgement. You would think we can honor the good in people an acknowledge they may have still had imperfect character at the same time.

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

The first amendment doesn’t mean everybody is entitled to an invitation to come speak to children.  Your teacher should have been fired. 

47 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The first amendment doesn’t mean everybody is entitled to an invitation to come speak to children.  Your teacher should have been fired. 

The first amendment is for everyone. The 2nd is too, and well all of them are.

Maybe, if people could control their emotions, and react to things in a reasonable adult manner, alot of the crap we are dealing with could be mitigated.  People need to quit being what I call "emotional pussies"

Think and react rationally and logically, and quit letting emotions get in the way.  Dry your tears. 

4 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Kids should bring guns to school to learn about the second amendment as well.

Well no that's nuts, but an elective class led by a trained instructor to teach kids about them wouldn't be the worst thing. It's been done before.

14 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Dry your tears.

We should also think about teaching illiteracy so students can learn the importance of thinking.

Ok.

The only way to solve illiteracy is for parents to get involved.  I was taught to read early and was given books and a library membership by the age of 5.

7 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

Um, I got my Hunter Safety certificate in the 7th grade at school.  Guns were used in the course.  Taught by the local CO's.  

8 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

The Denver Public School system voted just this past week to remove all resource officers from their schools.  A phased out plan, which means by this time next year, there will be no resource officers in any Denver Public School

Have they forgotten about Columbine ?

Archived