Intramural Center renamed for Bill Garrett

I remember when IU put a sign up a few years back honoring Bill Garrett. Thought that was really cool.  This is even better.  Love that IU honors buildings after special people by naming them after special people. Who have meant so much to IU over the years. Like Cook Hall.

6 hours ago, snowling said:

Yes. WIldermuth's name was removed what to me seemed like a long time ago.  That's when Garrett's sign was placed out side. And the proposal to rename, took quite a long time it seemed to me.

Ora L. Wildermuth was an advocate of education. In 1908, he started the library system in Gary, Indiana.  Today. There still is a library named after him, in the Miller section of Gary.  Just a couple blocks North of where my father had his convenience store.

In the 1920's,  Wildermuth became a trustee for Indiana University.  And years later, was the one who organized a ceremony to honor Herman B. Wells, when Mr. Wells was first named  the president of Indiana University.

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hoosier Hysteria: Bill Garrett Tribute 

Mr. Garrett helped Shelbyville to a state championship in 1947.  I could not find a video of that game. But did find this one :

1947 IHSAA Boys Basketball State Semifinal #2: Shelbyville 54, East Chicago Washington 46 

Mr. Garrett was also named Indiana's Mr. Basketball in 1947.

William Breck was a guard on that 1947 Shelbyville team. He was the principal at Franklin Community HS when I went there my senior year. The athletic director was a guy named Ted Server that played on Madison's 1950 champions.

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

William Breck was a guard on that 1947 Shelbyville team. He was the principal at Franklin Community HS when I went there my senior year. The athletic director was a guy named Ted Server that played on Madison's 1950 champions.

Never ceases to amaze  me how one post on Hoosier Sports Nation leads to another. And another connection.  Love it. And thanks for sharing.  We ARE one big family. Ted Server in this video :

1950 IHSAA State Semifinals/Championship Highlights 

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Was in Madison yesterday stopped by the old recreation center that the.50 team played.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Was in Madison yesterday stopped by the old recreation center that the.50 team played.

The old gyms are the best. I don't know if you've ever been, but the old Glenn M Curtis Memorial Gym in Martinsville is awesome. Built in 1923. I have so many great memories from that place.

And it's also cool as you go around small Indiana towns and meet high school legends. I met Fuzzy Vandivier of the Franklin Wonder 5 (state champs in 1920, 21, and 22) in a grocery store in Franklin. Very nice man... 

Martinsville_High_School_Gymnasium.jpg

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The old gyms are the best. I don't know if you've ever been, but the old Glenn M Curtis Memorial Gym in Martinsville is awesome. Built in 1923. I have so many great memories from that place.

And it's also cool as you go around small Indiana towns and meet high school legends. I met Fuzzy Vandivier of the Franklin Wonder 5 (state champs in 1920, 21, and 22) in a grocery store in Franklin. Very nice man... 

Listed on the National Registration

1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

Mile, I’m asking about this voting initiative!?? I have zero raciest bones  in my body!! I’m sick of one party being portrayed as racist while the other exhibits it!!

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but I think it's time to lock up another thread.

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wish I saw your message earlier we were in Martinsville yesterday. Had to pick something up st rural king.  I agree nothing like the.old gums. Tyson auditorium in Versailles was one.of my.local favorites as a player 

Archived