Bird Feeders/Houses

BeerBQ

We set out three humingbird feeders each Spring. Take them down during the summer months, as the humingbirds head for the hills to escape the heat. And place them out again in late summer and early fall, when they return.

Never use the read dye sold in stores.  Harmful to hummingbirds.  Also mix 1/3 cup sugar, and 2/3 cup water.  Heat to a boil. Let stand to cool. And then place in the feeder.

Cardinal_Northern_male_Ash_2012.jpg

Well now. Gonna have to up my hummingbird feeders from 3 to 5.  Just kidding.  Give a hug to Tammy from me.  And your pooch as well. Stay safe.  And  love the fact that you guys are taking care of the birds. We have wrens in Colorado. However I miss not having cardinals like in Indiana.  Loved those red guys, when I lived in Indiana.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well now. Gonna have to up my hummingbird feeders from 3 to 5.  Just kidding.  Give a hug to Tammy from me.  And your pooch as well. Stay safe.  And  love the fact that you guys are taking care of the birds. We have wrens in Colorado. However I miss not having cardinals like in Indiana.  Loved those red guys, when I lived in Indiana.

Cardinals have always been my favorite common bird. We have them out here thank goodness. We also have a mockingbird that does a very convincing cardinal and about thirty other birds. He loves to get on the highest spot of the construction behind us and just belt out a bird call-concerto for about 10-15 minutes. The first time we heard him, we were like, "Wait, what?"

We don't have a bird feeder, but would really love one.

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Cardinals have always been my favorite common bird. We have them out here thank goodness. We also have a mockingbird that does a very convincing cardinal and about thirty other birds. He loves to get on the highest spot of the construction behind us and just belt out a bird call-concerto for about 10-15 minutes. The first time we heard him, we were like, "Wait, what?"

We don't have a bird feeder, but would really love one.

That's wild and cool about the mockingbird.  In NYC, no less.  I could go on from there. But won't go any further, for fear of this thread getting locked... if you know what I mean. LOL

Jealous that you have cardinals.  Perhaps my favorite wild bird.  Of course.... the male is the most attractive.   Unlike humans.  Ha

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's wild and cool about the mockingbird.  In NYC, no less.  I could go on from there. But won't go any further, for fear of this thread getting locked... if you know what I mean. LOL

Jealous that you have cardinals.  Perhaps my favorite wild bird.  Of course.... the male is the most attractive.   Unlike humans.  Ha

When it comes to wild birds...I can't help but stop and watch a pheasant.

I’ve always been a bird fan, used to do some bird watching. I have a bird feeder set up by our back patio, and my oldest (3yrs) and I enjoy looking at the window.

Right now, our most popular visitors are finches, and I really enjoy the “house” finch, which has a reddish head and on some parts of the body.

Got really excited when we had a woodpecker visit lol. We plan on setting out some hummingbird feeders later this year or next year. Good topic!

24 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’ve always been a bird fan, used to do some bird watching. I have a bird feeder set up by our back patio, and my oldest (3yrs) and I enjoy looking at the window.

Right now, our most popular visitors are finches, and I really enjoy the “house” finch, which has a reddish head and on some parts of the body.

Got really excited when we had a woodpecker visit lol. We plan on setting out some hummingbird feeders later this year or next year. Good topic!

Woodpeckers are perhaps one of my least favorite  wild birds.  Have destroyed the siding on many of my neighbors houses.  And caused the death of a cotton wood in my back yard.

In the Spring and Fall.  Love seeing thousands of Canadian Geese migrating over my house every year. A pattern similar to the Blue Angels. WIth one goose in the lead.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

My two favorite bird stories both happened on the same weekend - one story is my wife's with the mockingbird and the other is mine with a HUGE heron.

My wife was hosting her best friend from high school two years ago around July 4th, so I took the dog for the weekend and went down to our place on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've stuck around for these visits in the past, but realized I needed to get out of town for this visit.

Bird story one: The first night, my wife and her friend were coming home fairly late and heard weird bird noises at the community garden a block away from our place. They were convinced that there were fake bird noises coming from the garden b/c it was too many different types of bird songs one after the other. Weeks later the mockingbird showed up on our terrace and schooled us with about 20 different bird songs. That's when my wife realized that they had heard the mockingbird that night.

Bird story two: While I was in Maryland with our miniature dachshund enjoying the dock on the river. We had sat out on the dock until after sunset and were enjoying some pre-July 4th fireworks, when I decided it was time to go inside. It was pretty dark at this point. I put our dog Chloe on the dock and turned to walk up to the house and she totally froze and let loose a very low growl. I tried to get her to move towards the house, but she wouldn't budge. Something was really freaking her out.

So, I scooped her into my arms and started walking down the 50ft dock to the yard, muttering about her being a scaredy cat. About half the way there, I realized something was on the dock. Something kind of big. As we got closer, I realized there was a big heron on our dock in between us and the yard. We just stood there looking at it and it just stood there looking at us. My dog was shaking in my arms and as I started moving towards the heron, the heron finally gave off one of it's dinosaur honks and flew off.

Was the closest I've ever got to one of these magnificent beasts!

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

My two favorite bird stories both happened on the same weekend - one story is my wife's with the mockingbird and the other is mine with a HUGE heron.

My wife was hosting her best friend from high school two years ago around July 4th, so I took the dog for the weekend and went down to our place on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've stuck around for these visits in the past, but realized I needed to get out of town for this visit.

Bird story one: The first night, my wife and her friend were coming home fairly late and heard weird bird noises at the community garden a block away from our place. They were convinced that there were fake bird noises coming from the garden b/c it was too many different types of bird songs one after the other. Weeks later the mockingbird showed up on our terrace and schooled us with about 20 different bird songs. That's when my wife realized that they had heard the mockingbird that night.

Bird story two: While I was in Maryland with our miniature dachshund enjoying the dock on the river. We had sat out on the dock until after sunset and were enjoying some pre-July 4th fireworks, when I decided it was time to go inside. It was pretty dark at this point. I put our dog Chloe on the dock and turned to walk up to the house and she totally froze and let loose a very low growl. I tried to get her to move towards the house, but she wouldn't budge. Something was really freaking her out.

So, I scooped her into my arms and started walking down the 50ft dock to the yard, muttering about her being a scaredy cat. About half the way there, I realized something was on the dock. Something kind of big. As we got closer, I realized there was a big heron on our dock in between us and the yard. We just stood there looking at it and it just stood there looking at us. My dog was shaking in my arms and as I started moving towards the heron, the heron finally gave off one of it's dinosaur honks and flew off.

Was the closest I've ever got to one of these magnificent beasts!

Those stories are for the birds.  Just kidding.  Thanks for sharing

Back in the day, building our first house, my neighbor comes over with some damn contraption and wanted to show me this new thing that he was so proud of. I asked what it it? Well Joe, its a wood pecker feeder.....

You SOB, I'm building a log cabin here and you're trying to attract wood peckers.  Dang I miss him, he was a great neighbor with a hell of a sense of humor. 

8 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Back in the day, building our first house, my neighbor comes over with some damn contraption and wanted to show me this new thing that he was so proud of. I asked what it it? Well Joe, its a wood pecker feeder.....

You SOB, I'm building a log cabin here and you're trying to attract wood peckers.  Dang I miss him, he was a great neighbor with a hell of a sense of humor. 

Funny story.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm getting tired of filling mine already. Seems like it's almost daily. In addition to those shown below, we also have  hummingbird and finch feeders as well as a couple bee houses. 

We get all the common ones. I like the cardinals (especially in winter), orioles and woodpeckers. Saw an owl fly into a backyard tree this past weekend which was cool. Have also spotted a couple bald eagles which is rare around here and brings me to my favorite bird story.

When in Alaska (there are tons of them there) we were on a boat and the guide holds a fish above his head and a bald eagle glides down and snatches it from him. Incredible experience. 

Looking into a purple martin house. Not sure I have enough open space away from trees. Anyone have one of those? 

20200616_131020.jpg

20200616_131044.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I had to patch a few woodpecker holes in the cedar siding of an old house of mine. They can be a pain that way. 

25 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm getting tired of filling mine already. Seems like it's almost daily. In addition to those shown below, we also have  hummingbird and finch feeders as well as a couple bee houses. 

We get all the common ones. I like the cardinals (especially in winter), orioles and woodpeckers. Saw an owl fly into a backyard tree this past weekend which was cool. Have also spotted a couple bald eagles which is rare around here and brings me to my favorite bird story.

When in Alaska (there are tons of them there) we were on a boat and the guide holds a fish above his head and a bald eagle glides down and snatches it from him. Incredible experience. 

Looking into a purple martin house. Not sure I have enough open space away from trees. Anyone have one of those? 

20200616_131020.jpg

20200616_131044.jpg

Yes, I have a martin house back at the lake.  Must be up in the air 20 feet or so.  I crank it down every year and clean it.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Yes, I have a martin house back at the lake.  Must be up in the air 20 feet or so.  I crank it down every year and clean it.

How long did it take for the Martins to come? Will they find it right away or does it take a season or two? 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

How long did it take for the Martins to come? Will they find it right away or does it take a season or two? 

They have been around here my whole lifetime.  They just come.  Maybe because of the lakes here?

Archived