INDY Star build a team State Title

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Not sure if this has been seen or mentioned on here, but it's down to New Castle and Washington.  I didn't see it before now but aparently it was a bracket, voting style tournement.

https://www.washtimesherald.com/sports/local_sports/1978-a-season-to-remember/article_9c2b0c21-8c54-51ca-9399-d85e29e1b020.html

I know about half of those team members through my dad's friendships. That team should have won it all. 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You can put that loss squarely on the coach.  They definitely had the talent to win.

Before my time, but I've heard stories.  Went to church with John Brown, that team was GOOD!! 

How did THS run the floor for a layup with only a few seconds left?  

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Before my time, but I've heard stories.  Went to church with John Brown, that team was GOOD!! 

How did THS run the floor for a layup with only a few seconds left?  

As I remember, WHS coughed up about a 10-point lead with a couple of minutes to go.  It was just sickening...Neal had no idea how to handle a press that everyone knew was coming.

John Brown, Slammin' Sammy Grove, next year's Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie...

yeah...you could say they were good.  What a shame they had no coach.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I remember, WHS coughed up about a 10-point lead with a couple of minutes to go.  It was just sickening...Neal had no idea how to handle a press that everyone knew was coming.

John Brown, Slammin' Sammy Grove, next year's Mr. Basketball Steve Bouchie...

yeah...you could say they were good.  What a shame they had no coach.

So what happened in the 83 semi state with Princeton? Another close loss. 

Man WHS had come up short so many times. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

So what happened in the 83 semi state with Princeton? Another close loss. 

Man WHS had come up short so many times. 

Was at that game.  Same coach, but his son was the star of that team.  WHS played the afternoon game against Floyd Central and it was obvious that FC intended to win by beating the tar out of WHS:

1980080972_FloydCentral.jpg.6ca2d71dcfc57fed7e19b211e4ad9f49.jpg

WHS won that game but had nothing left.  Princeton won the first game fairly easily and even though WHS had beaten Princeton by double digits in the season, the Hatchets were completely flat and gassed after the Floyd Central game.  The winning shot was rebounded and tossed back in by a football player named Kit Taylor who literally hadn't hit a single shot the entire game.

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Was at that game.  Same coach, but his son was the star of that team.  WHS played the afternoon game against Floyd Central and it was obvious that FC intended to win by beating the tar out of WHS:

WHS won that game but had nothing left.  Princeton won the first game fairly easily and even though WHS had beaten Princeton by double digits in the season, the Hatchets were completely flat and gassed after the Floyd Central game.  The winning shot was rebounded and tossed back in by a football player named Kit Taylor who literally hadn't hit a single shot the entire game.

I was at that game - a Princeton kid who graduated in 86!

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I felt that two games in one day hurt smaller schools in the one class tournament more so then simply playing bigger schools who usually were deeper and could go to their bench more. One of the smallest of class A schools we had the talent and skill to play with them but it would take things falling right to win certainly.

It isn’t so much even the running, fouling, physical play as much as just the emotional toll and getting back up for the second game on top of the physical toll of possibly playing only 5-6 guys. I remember in 97 at Regionals we beat Mooresville in the opener and had a lead on State champ Bloomington North at the half but just didn’t have enough in the tank to beat them. It was a close game but they were deeper than us. I wouldn’t trade that experience for a state class championship though. It was great to test yourself against the best in the state and know you could play right with them.

Archived