Do something nice

I didnt know where else to post this.

So with all that is going on right now, I felt the desire to do something nice. So yesterday the wife and I ordered pizza for the Jasper, IN State Police Precinct.  Most police are good people and are going through alot right now. 

I get a phone call from the delivery guy, because he was confused because my name was on the order but I wasn't there. Explained my intentions and he said they really appreciated it. And I tipped him well. 

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

So with all that is going on right now, I felt the desire to do something nice. So yesterday the wife and I ordered pizza for the Jasper, IN State Police Precinct.  Most police are good people and are going through alot right now. 

I get a phone call from the delivery guy, because he was confused because my name was on the order but I wasn't there. Explained my intentions and he said they really appreciated it. And I tipped him well. 

Not to derail your admirable deed but I saw on a DNR report that there was a drowning down Jasper way?

BTW, helluva gesture you did for the men in blue.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Not to derail your admirable deed but I saw on a DNR report that there was a drowning down Jasper way?

BTW, helluva gesture you did for the men in blue.

I heard about that. I guessing this is the one they reported on. 

https://www.witzamfm.com/news/new-details-2020-jasper-high-school-senior-dies-after-falling-into-lake-near-holland

Since I'm out of work and have time on my hands and want to do something that makes an impact, I'm going to be running a black-owned direct-to-consumer businesses Facebook/Instagram ads for free for 60 days (they'll just have to pay for the ad spend, not my services). Hoping to start up with them in the next week or two. I'm doing it in partnership with a marketing agency that I'm "friends" with, so they're starting the first company they selected this week and I'm going to partner with them on their second selection later this month. 

Just a way to do a little bit more than just post to social media. This is by no means a commentary on anything, just trying to do my part to help with diversity in the marketing/eCommerce space. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Since I'm out of work and have time on my hands and want to do something that makes an impact, I'm going to be running a black-owned direct-to-consumer businesses Facebook/Instagram ads for free for 60 days (they'll just have to pay for the ad spend, not my services). Hoping to start up with them in the next week or two. I'm doing it in partnership with a marketing agency that I'm "friends" with, so they're starting the first company they selected this week and I'm going to partner with them on their second selection later this month. 

Just a way to do a little bit more than just post to social media. This is by no means a commentary on anything, just trying to do my part to help with diversity in the marketing/eCommerce space. 

Very classy.  I hope they appreciate your expertise and your time.  I’m sure it’s invaluable. 

I am on our diversity and inclusion committee. We are working on a ton of initiatives, meeting constantly, writing things up, taking action.  One thing that I’m sure all of you are seeing is the intensity level of young people (say, under 30).  They have been pretty assertive and senior management is listening.  I see healthy dialogue all over once you get out of the purview of the political extremists. 

• 2 weeks later...

So something unexpected today. 

Recieved a text message from the delivery driver in the op.  Said because of my donation he felt inspired to do the same and donated some pizza to the hospital. 

Dont often get to see a nice gesture lead to some else paying it forward. 

Also passed along one of the best pieces of advice I've heard, simply, what you do matters. And he remembered that.  

On 6/15/2020 at 10:43 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Next time. Order them a couple boxes of donuts.  I am sure the will like that as well.  Just kidding. You know the old jokes about cops and donuts.

Nice thing you did.  Whenever we order delivery or get pick up... we double what we used to tip. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was at grocery store this weekend and an older man I  front of me with just a few items in his cart told the people in front of him that he was coming over to  their place for dinner.  His cart had a can of spam some flour mush and a couple cans of soup and theirs was full had steaks chops lots of great food for dinners. The older man said when you are old and on a fixed income this has to get me through the week. The couple not only paid for the few things the man had.  The loaded his cart with about half of their stuff. The man and cashier were both in tears. I shared that story with my family that night.

The next day my wife and boys went to a house in our neighborhood with an older couple in their mid 70's . The wife is in very poor health and the man still works everyday to make ends meet. They spent 6 hours doing work around their yard. Mowing weed eating tree trimming everything.  Looked like a new place. When I came home they were still there at it. I took over and did a couple more hours.

My new project is try and figure out how to fix the roof on their garage whole thing is about to cave in. 

1 simple Act of Random Kindness is making a much bigger impact

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was at grocery store this weekend and an older man I  front of me with just a few items in his cart told the people in front of him that he was coming over to place for dinner.  His cart had a can of spam some flour mush and a couple cans of soup and theirs was full had steaks chops lots of great food for dinners. The older man said when you and on a fixed income this has to get me through the week. The couple not only paid for the few things the man had.  The loaded his cart with about half of their stuff. The man and cashier were both in tears. I shared that story with my family that night.

The next day my wife and boys went to a house in our neighborhood with an over couple in their mid 70's . The wife is in very poor health and the man still works everyday to make ends meet. They spent 6 hours doing work around their yard. Mowing weed eating tree trimming everything.  Looked like a new place. When I came home they were still there at it. I took over and did a couple more hours.

My new project is try and figure out how to fix the roof on their garage whole thing is about to cave in. 

1 simple Act of Random Kindness is making a much bigger impact

Now those are TWO nice stories.  Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just when you start to worry and stress over your own situation God shows us just how blessed we are and how we can help those who are in worse case

You know the unique thing about the man in line at the grocery store. Someone had to place the people in line with him. I won't call it a coincidence.  But rather fate.

We do random pay it forward type things. As a family, our favorite though is every year since my child has been in elementary school, we anonymously adopt a family for Christmas by providing a school selected family with a complete holiday meal and gifts. My child loves doing it for others and that makes me happy.

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

We do random pay it forward type things. As a family, our favorite though is every year since my child has been in elementary school, we anonymously adopt a family for Christmas by providing a school selected family with a complete holiday meal and gifts. My child loves doing it for others and that makes me happy.

Love that story. You are setting a great example. Something to be very proud of. In turn you guys are receiving as much or more than the family you are helping. Thank you for sharing 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Thank you for your generosity.  Especially at a special time of year.   And setting an example for your child for years to come.  GOD bless you.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

She is an older lady without kids and considers herself our fairy grandma.  One of my wifes first clients. We have Thanksgiving dinner with her and her husband.  

That is great . We many times don't realize that impact we have on others until after the fact. Glad that  you and your wife see if while its happening and can appreciate how her hard work and compassion etc  means so much to people see takes care of. Through all that we have been through we have learned never take anything for granted and take the extra time to do something nice for others. My wife was saving a little money to do something nice for herself as she always puts me and the kids first. We took Ayden out for dinner to celebrate his birthday. Our waitress was great and was overworked and in the weeds, in typical fashion my wife left her a very mnce tip with the money she was saving and a hand written note and a bible verse.  She never stops amazing me!!

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is great . We many times don't realize that impact we have on others until after the fact. Glad that  you and your wife see if while its happening and can appreciate how her hard work and compassion etc  means so much to people see takes care of. Through all that we have been through we have learned never take anything for granted and take the extra time to do something nice for others. My wife was saving a little money to do something nice for herself as she always puts me and the kids first. We took Ayden out for dinner to celebrate his birthday. Our waitress was great and was overworked and in the weeds, in typical fashion my wife left her a very mnce tip with the money she was saving and a hand written note and a bible verse.  She never stops amazing me!!

The same woman bought a new range a couple years ago and gave us her old one.  The day she offered to us my wife saw a post on the local barter page by someone who had an oven that wasn't working and was cooking on 2 hot plates. So we gave them our range and groceries and I may have stuck a Benjamin in one of the bags. In June we bought a new range and gave our old one away. It just seems right to me to help others when I have been helped out myself. 

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The same woman bought a new range a couple years ago and gave us her old one.  The day she offered to us my wife saw a post on the local barter page by someone who had an oven that wasn't working and was cooking on 2 hot plates. So we gave them our range and groceries and I may have stuck a Benjamin in one of the bags. In June we bought a new range and gave our old one away. It just seems right to me to help others when I have been helped out myself. 

For me these stories are what help make HSN so wonderful. Love hearing them and sharing them. I believe if we are in position we need to do those things. There have been so many times that we have been on the receiving end and when possible we try to be on the giving end when we can. There are so many areas of need just and Act of Random Kindness here or there can make such a difference. 

Archived