Do something nice

Mrs. mile has prepared meals for a Denver women's shelter for years.  Mostly monthly, and in their kitchen. Since the pandemic, she prepares meals at home, every other week.  And has them delivered and left out the front door of their shelter.

There's more.  I will save for later.

• 4 months later...

3 weeks ago my amazing wife decided to buy pizza and have it delivered to a family in Evansville in which the Dad has a brain tumor. Last week she did same for a family in Greensburg with a sick child. This week she picked a family in our community with a mom dealing with major illness. She reached out to family to find out if it was OK and what kind of pizza they wanted. She sent this Tuesday to the lady that lives with her husband and teenage daughter. She received a reply that said that would be great but can you do Thursday. She said yes.  She just received the order for 7 pizza hut specialty pizza 2 large order of breadsticks three 2 litres of pop. $123 later should we feel taken advantage of or since we offered take it and smile? 

For me the principle of the issue does not sit well with me.. they invited their adult children spouses and grandkids. Pleaee tell me if I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

3 weeks ago my amazing wife decided to buy pizza and have it delivered to a family in Evansville in which the Dad has a brain tumor. Last week she did same for a family in Greensburg with a sick child. This week she picked a family in our community with a mom dealing with major illness. She reached out to family to find out if it was OK and what kind of pizza they wanted. She sent this Tuesday to the lady that lives with her husband and teenage daughter. She received a reply that said that would be great but can you do Thursday. She said yes.  She just received the order for 7 pizza hut specialty pizza 2 large order of breadsticks three 2 litres of pop. $123 later should we feel taken advantage of or since we offered take it and smile? 

For me the principle of the issue does not sit well with me.. they invited their adult children spouses and grandkids. Pleaee tell me if I am wrong. 

Nope.  You're not wrong.  

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

You have every reason to feel the way you do. I am impressed with your generosity and your concern for other people. Your conscience should be clear and you and your family have obviously taken the high road. Chalk it up to experience and next time you offer  to do something like that maybe offer a prepaid gift card to a restaurant of their choice. 

I have given food to quite a few people who are homeless instead of giving them money. I asked one guy in particular when was the last time he had eaten and he replied a couple of days ago. I had him get in my car and I took him a Wendy's right down the street. I let him order anything he wanted from the menu and I then bought him a 25 dollar gift card. At least I knew the gentleman would not go hungry for a couple of days. 

23 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

You have every reason to feel the way you do. I am impressed with your generosity and your concern for other people. Your conscience should be clear and you and your family have obviously taken the high road. Chalk it up to experience and next time you offer  to do something like that maybe offer a prepaid gift card to a restaurant of their choice. 

I have given food to quite a few people who are homeless instead of giving them money. I asked one guy in particular when was the last time he had eaten and he replied a couple of days ago. I had him get in my car and I took him a Wendy's right down the street. I let him order anything he wanted from the menu and I then bought him a 25 dollar gift card. At least I knew the gentleman would not go hungry for a couple of days. 

Great points I agree. We believe in helping those in need, we have been on other end of it unfortunately. What you did was very generous and helps me remember that most people are good

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I’ve got to remember this! Last month I was at a strip mall and a man said I’m hungry! I gave him 20 and prayed he got up from in front of the liquor store and walked 100’ to the grocery store. Going from your lesson I should have taken him to the grocery! Unfortunately as Billingsley learned he probably wouldn’t have gone with me?

I'm going to condense this is one post. First off, @Billingsley99what your wife and you are doing is admirable.  We are fortunate enough to give away food, clothes, household appliances.  I really dont like wasting anything so my first option is to find a home for things I want to get rid of.

About 3 years ago we gave away a range to a very poor family whose oven wouldn't heat above 250 and had 1 functional burner. 

Well ours wasnt working well either so one of my wifes clients gave up her old one to us, worked perfectly.  

The family we gave our old one to had a $100 bill inside and an offer from me to come fix it. 

We got a message back, they plugged it in and everything worked.  God works in mysterious ways. 

@jefftheref and @Drroogh, done the same thing outside of Sun Studios in Memphis.  

A friend taught me that you dont give bums money.  The ones truly in need just want a meal. Thumbs up to both of you. 

OK, post was longer than intended but Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I have had a friendly competition the last few years to see who could pull out the most motorists stuck in snow. The last 2 years he shut me out. He does drive more, especially in the evenings. I'd come across a few but they already had help or a tow truck coming. My wife kind of enjoys the entertainment. She will grab a coffee and join me as we drive around for an hour or two looking for people. This year, I got the jump on my son and have rescued 5.5 vehicles (my son and I shared one rescue) so far. With a late surge, he has me tied up. People usually offer $20-40 as it is much cheaper than a tow truck but I never accept. Just tell them to pay it forward. With slippery roads tonight, I'll probably be out a little- looking for bragging rights and helping out. 

9 hours ago, Reacher said:

My son and I have had a friendly competition the last few years to see who could pull out the most motorists stuck in snow. The last 2 years he shut me out. He does drive more, especially in the evenings. I'd come across a few but they already had help or a tow truck coming. My wife kind of enjoys the entertainment. She will grab a coffee and join me as we drive around for an hour or two looking for people. This year, I got the jump on my son and have rescued 5.5 vehicles (my son and I shared one rescue) so far. With a late surge, he has me tied up. People usually offer $20-40 as it is much cheaper than a tow truck but I never accept. Just tell them to pay it forward. With slippery roads tonight, I'll probably be out a little- looking for bragging rights and helping out. 

I've hauled people out of ditches and have provided first aid multiple times. I was in scouting till I graduated high school and have been certified in first aid and CPR. Even though it isnt current you dont forget it. 

I keep the county sheriff department number in my phone and a first aid medical kit in my car.  

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've hauled people out of ditches and have provided first aid multiple times. I was in scouting till I graduated high school and have been certified in first aid and CPR. Even though it isnt current you dont forget it. 

I keep the county sheriff department number in my phone and a first aid medical kit in my car.  

Quoting myself, I live in Martin County Indiana. Small population. You can get lost out here. 

They dont have their own 911 system. If you call 911 here its directed to Daviess county, and Daviess county calls the Martin County Sheriff's department.  

So I keep the Martin County Sheriff's department phone # on speed dial and just bypass 911. 

A few years ago, when I left my house for work at 330 am I came up on an accident.  A couple with a couple kids on their way to vacation.  Wiped out taking a sharp curve.  Not from the area.

They were trying 911 and getting nowhere. 

So I stopped, assessed the situation and called the sheriff's department number in my phone to get first responders.  

She had a gash on her forehead so I gave her a battle dressing out of my kit. Her dude had a broken and mangled looking hand so I activated an ice pack and wrapped his hand up. 

Gave them some water and the first responders showed up and took over. 

Archived