Father's Day

rico

My dad passed away in 1988 from ALS. Great Dad and person. Had to quit school in 7th grade to help support his Mom (this was during the Depression), but still did ok for himself and our family...

Think about him every day, and miss him...

My father passed away in 1991.  Did not have much of a relationship with him as he was into drugs and gambling and left us at an early age, would pop up now and again only to disappoint. In 1990 he found God a good woman and clean living. I was blessed to get about 6 months of good times with him before he died from a heart attack my Senior year  of High School. I wish he could see his grand kids and hope that he is proud of the Father that I have tried to be. I am so blessed to have 3 amazing children. I am often left with the what might have been but know that does not do anyone any positive. I try to tell as many people as I can to enjoy the simple things to live life and take time to give your kids a little extra hug or time and attention. This life is far too short to miss out on those gifts that we are given. I will stop my sermon now and just say Happy early Fathers Day. 

Last year was my first Father’s Day after my dad died. I knew it would be a hard day, but it hit me a lot harder than I anticipated. He was my best friend and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about him, miss him, or think about something I wish I could tell him.  I try every day to be as good of a father as he was. 

Like Rico, I want to wish all the dads here a happy Father’s Day. 

Lost my dad suddenly in 1984, right before my sophomore year of college.  My biggest regret in life is that we never really got the opportunity to be friends as adults.  Would love to have him around to talk IU basketball, Cincinnati Reds baseball, and get his advice on parenting my own kids.  Damn, he was a good man and a great father,  Went way too soon.  

Lost the only grandpa I knew in May 2005 and my dad in Sept 2006 at 45. I was 20-21 at the time. I was fortunate in a way to be with each of them on their last day. Worked all day with my grandpa on the farm on what he called 10 year fixes. And was with my dad. 

Happy fathers day to the dads out there!

My dad passed away last fall so this will be my first Father's Day without him. 

Given the lack of live sports in recent months, I have been watching a lot of replays of old Cubs games. Always reminds me of him and watching the games together.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Was at a friends cookout this evening. Family celebrating 50 year wedding anniversary/Father's Day and he made a funny comment. He goes 50 years in my world was easy. If I was getting texted, shared on posts, asking why I didn't share or like a post all day every day.....he said 10 years would have been max. Followed that up with I saw her for 30 minutes in morning and 2 hours max at night. Of course I missed her. 50 years was easy in our world. Today?? Not so much. Haha. Something to think about.

Never had one really. More like an acquaintance. Met him for the first time at 14. Strange fella. Extremely well to do yet still stole what my grandparents left me. Never hear from him.

I am one now. A boy. I worry sick when he’s just at school. He’s a sharp little fella. 4th grade now and been in advanced classes starting the second grade. They say he’s 2 grade levels ahead. I’m so proud. I’ve had him tutored twice a week since preschool.

His grandmother passed of cancer and now he wonders why he has no grandfather. I will always hate my father for that.

At baseball games, I see grandparents cheering on their grandkids. Then I look at my little guy, and my heart breaks for him.

If you have a father that’s always been there for you and your child, thank them. Appreciate them.

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

Never had one really. More like an acquaintance. Met him for the first time at 14. Strange fella. Extremely well to do yet still stole what my grandparents left me. Never hear from him.

I am one now. A boy. I worry sick when he’s just at school. He’s a sharp little fella. 4th grade now and been in advanced classes starting the second grade. They say he’s 2 grade levels ahead. I’m so proud. I’ve had him tutored twice a week since preschool.

His grandmother passed of cancer and now he wonders why he has no grandfather. I will always hate my father for that.

At baseball games, I see grandparents cheering on their grandkids. Then I look at my little guy, and my heart breaks for him.

If you have a father that’s always been there for you and your child, thank them. Appreciate them.

Sad to hear about your biological father. I have never understood people who have children and then want little or nothing to do with them.

But remember this...HE'S the one who missed out. Fatherhood has been by far the toughest job I've ever had, but at the same time far and away the most rewarding. I look at the 3 beautiful, kind, funny, successful people I helped raise and I'm proud of them. And a bit proud of me and my wife as well.

As far as grandparents go, I only had one (grandmother) that was even a small factor in my life, and even then it wasn't much. My parents were such good parents/people who showed me all the attention I needed, so I really didn't miss that.

And as far as the worrying goes, mine are in their mid-thirties to mid-twenties and I still worry about things like their health and well-being, so that never goes away...they've shown me they can handle the other stuff 🙂

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My 24 year old daughter called me last night to tell me that my Fathers Day gift was 1 more year of not having to pay for her wedding.  I thought that was pretty funny. She is getting impatient with current boyfriend of 3 years. 

Gotta love kids and what they say and think...how they can make you laugh or bring a year just through their thoughtfulness...my youngest (the one who was SUPPOSED to be a boy, and 10 years younger than the middle one) posted this on her Twitter account the day after the Cubs won the World Series in 2016...still gets me emotional...

IMG_20200619_072828.jpg

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My 24 year old daughter called me last night to tell me that my Fathers Day gift was 1 more year of not having to pay for her wedding.  I thought that was pretty funny. She is getting impatient with current boyfriend of 3 years. 

shotgun_wedding.jpg

My heart goes out to all of you that have lost your dad's over the years.  In my case.  I, and my sister were in the hospitable room, as we both watched our dad pass.  Years later, we were able to talk about that.  And I mentioned to my sister, I felt a tingling in my feet shortly after dad passed.  And amazingly.... she said she had the same tingling in her feet as well. 

God bless all you fine people who no longer have your dads around to share fathers day with.

Sorry to take this thread in an entirely different direction, Yes we need to honor our Fathers for the Good and Bad!

But have to admit, I've not been the father of the year every year of my children's lives!

What are you going to do, to be next years Father of the Year?

I'm at a loss as I write but I'm sure it will consume me!

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I wish my 24 year old daughter would find a guy to support her, I am getting tired of doing it!  LOL

Archived