Your All-Time Historical Team

IUFLA

And then guys who you've actually seen play...

Historical

1st base Lou Gehrig

2nd base Joe Morgan

SS Honus Wagner

3rd Base George Brett

LF Ted Williams

CF Willie Mays

RF Babe Ruth

C Johnny Bench

P Walter Johnson

Guys I've watched

1B Willie McCovey

2B Morgan

SS Ozzie Smith

3B Brett

C Bench

LF Henry Aaron (though he mainly played RF...I couldn't leave him or Clemente off)

CF Mays

RF Roberto Clemente

P Tom Seaver or Bob Gibson...can't choose...

Anybody else?

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And then guys who you've actually seen play...

Historical

1st base Lou Gehrig

2nd base Joe Morgan

SS Honus Wagner

3rd Base George Brett

LF Ted Williams

CF Willie Mays

RF Babe Ruth

C Johnny Bench

P Walter Johnson

Guys I've watched

1B Willie McCovey

2B Morgan

SS Ozzie Smith

3B Brett

C Bench

LF Henry Aaron (though he mainly played RF...I couldn't leave him or Clemente off)

CF Mays

RF Roberto Clemente

P Tom Seaver or Bob Gibson...can't choose...

Anybody else?

I'm going to have to do some thinking on mine. Especially those I've seen play portion. Gwynn, Jeter...might even take Schmidt over Brett on both lists. Sadly Pujols might even make my top 1B that I've actually seen play. Best pitchers that I've watched? Maddux, Gooden in his prime, Randy Johnson, Clemens..

That's the great and hard part about projecting all time great stuff in baseball....and I'm still not saying Morgan isn't the best but Sandberg but he played 6 more seasons and considerably more stacked lineups meaning he saw better pitches more often than Ryne did. Interesting comparison here. https://bapple2286.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/hall-of-fame-debate-joe-morgan-vs-ryne-sandberg/

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to have to do some thinking on mine. Especially those I've seen play portion. Gwynn, Jeter...might even take Schmidt over Brett on both lists. Sadly Pujols might even make my top 1B that I've actually seen play. Best pitchers that I've watched? Maddux, Gooden in his prime, Randy Johnson, Clemens..

That's the great and hard part about projecting all time great stuff in baseball....and I'm still not saying Morgan isn't the best but Sandberg but he played 6 more seasons and considerably more stacked lineups meaning he saw better pitches more often than Ryne did. Interesting comparison here. https://bapple2286.wordpress.com/2013/09/20/hall-of-fame-debate-joe-morgan-vs-ryne-sandberg/

100.5 career WAR versus 68.00.  Sandberg has a lower WAR than Bobby Grich and Lou Whitaker.

Historical:

1B  Lou Gehrig

2B  Rogers Hornsby

SS  Honus Wagner

3B  Mike Schmidt

RF  Babe Ruth

CF  Willie Mays

LF  Ted Williams

C   Johnny Bench

P  Walter Johnson

Guys I have seen in their prime:

1B  Albert Pujols

2B  Joe Morgan

SS  Cal Ripken Jr.

3B  Mike Schmidt

RF  Reggie Jackson

CF  Ken Griffey Jr.

LF  Rickey Henderson

C  Johnny Bench

P  Greg Maddux

5 hours ago, rico said:

Historical:

1B  Lou Gehrig

2B  Rogers Hornsby

SS  Honus Wagner

3B  Mike Schmidt

RF  Babe Ruth

CF  Willie Mays

LF  Ted Williams

C   Johnny Bench

P  Walter Johnson

Great team Rico.  I'm not sure I would change a thing.  

Maybe better for a trivia question but just heard this stat. Highest batting average for right handed hitters who started their career after WWII was Kirby Puckett.

I still go Griffey Jr on my all time CF for this thread i.e. who I've seen play....but it was odd Puckett never even crossed my mine. Amazing thing with baseball sometimes is the market you play in or in his case market he played in and subsequent off the field issues but Kirby didn't even come to my mind.

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe better for a trivia question but just heard this stat. Highest batting average for right handed hitters who started their career after WWII was Kirby Puckett.

I still go Griffey Jr on my all time CF for this thread i.e. who I've seen play....but it was odd Puckett never even crossed my mine. Amazing thing with baseball sometimes is the market you play in or in his case market he played in and subsequent off the field issues but Kirby didn't even come to my mind.

Only 12 seasons in the league...I wonder what his stats would have been had he played another 8+ years.  

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Only 12 seasons in the league...I wonder what his stats would have been had he played another 8+ years.  

The stats I looked at said he average 209 hits per 162 games over his career. Obviously age would catch up and hurt those numbers but if he didn't develop eye issues....how close would he have been to 4000 hits with 8 more seasons. Had over 2300 when retired. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

The stats I looked at said he average 209 hits per 162 games over his career. Obviously age would catch up and hurt those numbers but if he didn't develop eye issues....how close would he have been to 4000 hits with 8 more seasons. Had over 2300 when retired. 

I think I read where he was only one of four players to ever record 1,000 hits in his first 5 years.  He showed no signs of "aging" when the eye issue came up.  Definitely an under rated all-time great.

Just now, rico said:

I think I read where he was only one of four players to ever record 1,000 hits in his first 5 years.  He showed no signs of "aging" when the eye issue came up.  Definitely an under rated all-time great.

Yep....I mean if kept his career pace he would be passing guys like Jeter, Musial, Aaron. Not a bad crew to be a member of. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The guy I always wonder about is Tony Conigliaro...

He was only 22 when he got hit in the eye by the Jack Hamilton pitch, and he'd already hit 104 HRs, 50 before he turned 21.

Screenshot_20200621-113801.png

Wow. Didn't know.....geez what he could have done.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Didn't know.....geez what he could have done.

He was on his way to 40 HRs in 1967..."The Impossible Dream" year that ended with the Red Sox losing to the Cardinals in 7 games in the World Series...

He tried to come back and actually had a pretty good year in 1970, but his vision kept getting worse and he had to retire.

He was perfect for Fenway Park. Right handed, immense power, and hit high flies that cleared The Monster with ease. I always thought how awesome he would have fit in on the 1975 Red Sox team I If he'd not gotten injured. Put him in a lineup that had Yaz, Pudge Fisk, Fred Lynn, and Jim Rice. He would have only been 30 years old...

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was on his way to 40 HRs in 1967..."The Impossible Dream" year that ended with the Red Sox losing to the Cardinals in 7 games in the World Series...

He tried to come back and actually had a pretty good year in 1970, but his vision kept getting worse and he had to retire.

He was perfect for Fenway Park. Right handed, immense power, and hit high flies that cleared The Monster with ease. I always thought how awesome he would have fit in on the 1975 Red Sox team I If he'd not gotten injured. Put him in a lineup that had Yaz, Pudge Fisk, Fred Lynn, and Jim Rice. He would have only been 30 years old...

Seems like we always remember the careers cut short in football only. That's an unreal lineup for that yard. Ran across another all timer that doesn't get mentioned much. Most career seasons with at 150 games played and 25 home runs while playing CF. Of course Mays leads with 10....next though is Andruw Jones with 9. Griffey and Mantle had 3 each. Not saying Jones is better but baseball is a stats filled world. 

22 minutes ago, rico said:

A guy I fell in love with and always wondered "what if" was Mark Fidrych.

Another one felled by the "dead arm" aka torn rotator cuff...

And another one that, like Tony C passed way too early...

7 minutes ago, rico said:

What about Ray Fosse?

Yeah, I'm no Pete Rose fan, but the way the game was played back then, his AS game take-out of Fosse was a legit play...I'm not sure there was even that much controversy at the time...

That play, at least to me, pretty much ended Fosse's rise as one of the great young players in the game and started the slow descent from competitive game to exhibition for the AS game...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I'm no Pete Rose fan, but the way the game was played back then, his AS game take-out of Fosse was a legit play...I'm not sure there was even that much controversy at the time...

That play, at least to me, pretty much ended Fosse's rise as one of the great young players in the game and started the slow descent from competitive game to exhibition for the AS game...

Love him or hate him there was no denying he played every play like it might be his last. Imagine the game or any game if even 50 percent of the athletes played every play that way.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Love him or hate him there was no denying he played every play like it might be his last. Imagine the game or any game if even 50 percent of the athletes played every play that way.

Easy to play that way when you got money riding on the game....

Archived