A history of IU mens BB uni's and basketball.

Been saying this for years, I would love to see an alternate jersey with the “Indiana” cursive script across the chest and maybe another one with the same script with “Hoosiers”. Seems when Archie arrived they began using that as the signature sign off to their social media video, so I was hoping we’d see it more incorporated in other places. 

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Been saying this for years, I would love to see an alternate jersey with the “Indiana” cursive script across the chest and maybe another one with the same script with “Hoosiers”. Seems when Archie arrived they began using that as the signature sign off to their social media video, so I was hoping we’d see it more incorporated in other places. 

I am just ready for some sort of change...

66-67.jpg

From the link. I instantly recognized, number 34 in the front row.  Harry "Butch" Joyner. Who was sat next to me in a class at IU.  Nice guy. Not at all pretentious.  Butch, played two games as an Indiana Pacer. And to the best of my knowledge is still selling real estate in Scottsdale, Arizona.

As far as changing our uni's.  Never been a fan of that. However....over time, I have come to think that an alternative uni for special games, away from home would be ok, by me.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

66-67.jpg

From the link. I instantly recognized, number 34 in the front row.  Harry "Butch" Joyner. Who was sat next to me in a class at IU.  Nice guy. Not at all pretentious.  Butch, played two games as an Indiana Pacer. And to the best of my knowledge is still selling real estate in Scottsdale, Arizona.

As far as changing our uni's.  Never been a fan of that. However....over time, I have come to think that an alternative uni for special games, away from home would be ok, by me.

Mile, this might be a completely stupid question and I'm in no way trying to bring politics into play, but who is #23?

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Mile, this might be a completely stupid question and I'm in no way trying to bring politics into play, but who is #23?

Why.  That's Vernon Payne. Out of Michigan City, Indiana.  Watched him play in high school. And loved his game at IU. 

Has bounced around. Has been a head bb coach.  And is now at Western State University :

Vernon Payne | Student Affairs | Western Michigan University

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Why.  That's Vernon Payne. Out of Michigan City, Indiana.  Watched him play in high school. And loved his game at IU. 

Has bounced around. Has been a head bb coach.  And is now at Western State University :

Vernon Payne | Student Affairs | Western Michigan University

Thanks. Hoopster and Crester have made everything seem off limits lately.  Payne seems like a terrific guy.  I am so proud to be a Hoosier.

Just now, Sark said:

Butch is still in real estate, but he’s been a couple hours northeast of the Phoenix area for some time.

Thanks for the update.  I guess I could have gone to IU's Alumni Data base, since I am a life time member.  However, it does not always give updated information. So I went off of memory.  Appreciate the update.  And what with the IU guys passing in recent years.... it's good to know that Butch is still alive and kicking.  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the update.  I guess I could have gone to IU's Alumni Data base, since I am a life time member.  However, it does not always give updated information. So I went off of memory.  Appreciate the update.  And what with the IU guys passing in recent years.... it's good to know that Butch is still alive and kicking.  Thanks again.

Joyner, DeHeer, Payne...nucleus of the 67 B10 champs, and one of my favorite IU teams of all time...

P0045651

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Joyner, DeHeer, Payne...nucleus of the 67 B10 champs, and one of my favorite IU teams of all time...

Nice mention of Bill DeHeer.  Who at that time at 6-9 was considered a Big.  And spent two stints with the Pacers. 

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thanks. Hoopster and Crester have made everything seem off limits lately.  Payne seems like a terrific guy.  I am so proud to be a Hoosier.

Vernon was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in the early 2000's.  Quite an accomplishment.  Got to think what he did at Michigan City Elston, as well as at IU had a lot to do with it. Never heard an unkind word about Vernon. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, milehiiu said:

Vernon was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in the early 2000's.  Quite an accomplishment.  Got to think what he did at Michigan City Elston, as well as at IU had a lot to do with it. Never heard an unkind word about Vernon. 

I remember those teams in the late 60's. That was the beginning of my falling for Hoosier basketball and shortly thereafter Hoosier football. 
Mr. Payne is a well respected member of Western Michigan staff. I have never heard anyone ever say anything negative about him. Unfortunately two of his children have not followed in his footsteps. One son was convicted of first degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison and another son has had several violent assaults on women and was incarcerated for a few years. In one instance he assaulted the mother of his infant child and beat her unconscious. He was a trained boxer and he hit her so many times he fractured his hand and her skull.  He was arrested in Michigan City, Indiana and extradited to Michigan. 

Archived