"Uncle Jimmy"/baseball cards

rico

I loved collecting baseball cards as a kid.  Still have my collection.  Most of the magic went away when they started offering complete sets.  When everyone has access to any card they want, it's not as fun/interesting.  

I started collecting in earnest in 1972.  Have a Roberto Clemente from that year, his last year before his plane crash.  It still remains my favorite card.  I have a few cards older than '72 that I picked up in trades, but for the most part, '72 was the beginning of my collection.  I collected one pack at a time up until '78 when I started getting complete sets.  As I said, that's when it started to become not as fun.  But, from '72-'77, there was nothing better than going to the grocery or dime store and getting 1-2 packs at a time .   .  

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I loved collecting baseball cards as a kid.  Still have my collection.  Most of the magic went away when they started offering complete sets.  When everyone has access to any card they want, it's not as fun/interesting.  

I started collecting in earnest in 1972.  Have a Roberto Clemente from that year, his last year before his plane crash.  It still remains my favorite card.  I have a few cards older than '72 that I picked up in trades, but for the most part, '72 was the beginning of my collection.  I collected one pack at a time up until '78 when I started getting complete sets.  As I said, that's when it started to become not as fun.  But, from '72-'77, there was nothing better than going to the grocery or dime store and getting 1-2 packs at a time .   .  

Much like you, I really started collecting in '72.  But I continued through the early '90's.  And I still have every card.  My interest waned when I became a family man.  

Had what I considered a pretty nice collection for awhile. Started collecting in late 70's up until around 89/90. My crown jewel was a 56 Mantle card but also had several rookie cards of Gwynn, Boggs, Henderson, and of course Sandberg. So many others to name. Started selling my collection off in mid 90's to quite honestly eat/live. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Had what I considered a pretty nice collection for awhile. Started collecting in late 70's up until around 89/90. My crown jewel was a 56 Mantle card but also had several rookie cards of Gwynn, Boggs, Henderson, and of course Sandberg. So many others to name. Started selling my collection off in mid 90's to quite honestly eat/live. 

Nothing wrong with selling...I had a buddy that sold some cards to buy a ring for his fiance .  They have been married 30 years now.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The only person on earth you can forgive something like that is your mother.  Anyone else, and it's a grudge for life.

That's what happened with my Dad. Off to Ball St in mid 60's and his collection he started collecting in early 50's was gone. Sure everyone has similar stories. I do miss collecting. 4 packs for a $1 every time I went to Ben Franklin store.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The ones that didn't wind up in my bike spokes got tossed by Mom when I went to the USAF...

I will confess that the first couple of years I collected, I did not take great care of my cards.  No bike spokes, but I handled them regularly and they inevitably showed some wear and tear.  But, I was 7-8 years old at the time and it was before cards became a big business.  Probably would not do much differently if I was 7-8 years old today.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I remember as a kid flipping cards against neighbor kids won Pete Rose rookie card from my cousin only to lose to to a friend the same day

How ironic is that?  Losing a Pete Rose card gambling?  LOL

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will confess that the first couple of years I collected, I did not take great care of my cards.  No bike spokes, but I handled them regularly and they inevitably showed some wear and tear.  But, I was 7-8 years old at the time and it was before cards became a big business.  Probably would not do much differently if I was 7-8 years old today.

I never imagined that collecting would be a big business at all. Baseball cards were just pictures of our idols to me and my friends...

I had a nephew that started collecting in the mid 80s. Last time I talked to him his collection was pretty pricey...

Who knew?

When I was opening individual packs, it would only be a success if there was a Reds player in it.  I could get all 4 of Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, and Steve Carlton in a single pack, but that pack was not a 'good' one without a Bill Plummer or Doug Flynn..  

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I hear ya bud.  No fun as a kid if ya can't "play" with them.  BTW...that Mendoza card deserved to be in your spokes.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When I was opening individual packs, it would only be a success if there was a Reds player in it.  I could get all 4 of Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, and Steve Carlton in a single pack, but that pack was not a 'good' one without a Bill Plummer or Doug Flynn..  

$100 will get you a Plummer and Flynn...heck I will throw in a Manny Sarmiento.

We used ours in a slightly different way. 6 of us would go through our cards and weed out the doubles (I'm sure we had the whole collection for 1970) and then we'd pick 40 players each. 25 for your roster, and 15 for your "farm team." You could trade or send guys down...Johnny Bench was always the big get...

We had made up a baseball game with a regular deck of cards...

2s = walks

3s and Jack's = singles

Black Queen's = doubles

King of Diamonds = triples

Black Aces = HRs

Joker = error

4s and 6s = Ks

Everything else was an out, except an Ace of Diamonds was a SF if someone was on base.

We figured out 13 hits in 49 cards (the walks of course didn't count) was a .265 average...about on par for the overall league averages. Kept stats and standings...funny what kids come up with...

Occupied a lot of rainy days in the summer when we couldn't actually be out playing baseball ourselves...

This thread is great...I started collecting as a young kid because my older brother and sisters collected. I just wanted to get Cub players back in the day...I didn't care as much about the future HOFers that were in my packs ha. I remember going to many card shows in the late 80s/90s in the mall where there would be like 40-60 dealer tables set up for the weekend. At some point I switched and started collecting autographs, because there were getting to be too many different sets and insert cards out there that it became more about trying to score the big hit than collecting. I don't do much anymore but have lots of signed cards/photos/balls I have accumulated over the years.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We used ours in a slightly different way. 6 of us would go through our cards and weed out the doubles (I'm sure we had the whole collection for 1970) and then we'd pick 40 players each. 25 for your roster, and 15 for your "farm team." You could trade or send guys down...Johnny Bench was always the big get...

We had made up a baseball game with a regular deck of cards...

2s = walks

3s and Jack's = singles

Black Queen's = doubles

King of Diamonds = triples

Black Aces = HRs

Joker = error

4s and 6s = Ks

Everything else was an out, except an Ace of Diamonds was a SF if someone was on base.

We figured out 13 hits in 49 cards (the walks of course didn't count) was a .265 average...about on par for the overall league averages. Kept stats and standings...funny what kids come up with...

Occupied a lot of rainy days in the summer when we couldn't actually be out playing baseball ourselves...

That is some awesome stuff.  

Archived