"Uncle Jimmy"/baseball cards

rico

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We used ours in a slightly different way. 6 of us would go through our cards and weed out the doubles (I'm sure we had the whole collection for 1970) and then we'd pick 40 players each. 25 for your roster, and 15 for your "farm team." You could trade or send guys down...Johnny Bench was always the big get...

We had made up a baseball game with a regular deck of cards...

2s = walks

3s and Jack's = singles

Black Queen's = doubles

King of Diamonds = triples

Black Aces = HRs

Joker = error

4s and 6s = Ks

Everything else was an out, except an Ace of Diamonds was a SF if someone was on base.

We figured out 13 hits in 49 cards (the walks of course didn't count) was a .265 average...about on par for the overall league averages. Kept stats and standings...funny what kids come up with...

Occupied a lot of rainy days in the summer when we couldn't actually be out playing baseball ourselves...

I had a a baseball game when I was in jr. high.  It was from "APBA" , it was based on players stats and rolling dice.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I had a a baseball game when I was in jr. high.  It was from "APBA" , it was based on players stats and rolling dice.

I had the 1978 season of APBA.  I never played the real teams, because I knew how that would/shpuld turn out.  Would always draft my own teams, set up schedules, etc.  Never got through a complete 182 game schedule though.  I always wanted to keep player stats, which were more interesting to me than straight W/L.   This was before computers, so suffice it to say, keeping stats slowed the process down quite a bit.  

Edit - APBA still does computer versions of their game.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had the 1978 season of APBA.  I never played the real teams, because I knew how that would/shpuld turn out.  Would always draft my own teams, set up schedules, etc.  Never got through a complete 182 game schedule though.  I always wanted to keep player stats, which were more interesting to me than straight W/L.   This was before computers, so suffice it to say, keeping stats slowed the process down quite a bit.  

Edit - APBA still does computer versions of their game.

There was 8 of us that had a draft and played a 50 game league schedule.  Concepcion cost me the series back in 1980.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

I had a friend who still did this...maybe 12-13 years ago still. I'm not sure if he still plays it, but he was constantly after me to play in his league. I finally took over a team for one season but it was so time consuming and the people lived all over and it was a pain to play out games and I didn't have the time. He played in the same league for like 15 years.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

There was 8 of us that had a draft and played a 50 game league schedule.  Concepcion cost me the series back in 1980.

We had a 60 game schedule where you'd play the other teams 12 times...6 home, 6 road...

Then top 2 played a "World Series." Was in it one year, but lost 4-2...

I do remember Joe Horlen pitched a no-hitter...Roberto Clemente always seemed to hit...

One of my friends always pronounced Don Money as "Mooney." He must not have been that dumb, because he helped found a multi-million dollar company and was retired by age 45...

I always got stuck with the stats...

Archived