Big Ten All Decade Teams

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

BTN is announcing their All Decade teams starting today, and thus far, Yogi has made the 3rd team.... along with Craft and J. Johnson from PU. 

Any predictions for our Hoosiers, other than obviously Oladipo? 

I like Craft but don’t think he deserves to be 3rd team honestly. Especially if he makes it over someone like E’Twaun Moore. 

11 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

It looks like this tweet thread is keeping track of the All-3rd team at least (for those who don't click, it's Aaron Craft, Yogi, JaJuan Johnson, Jordan Murphy, and D'Angelo Russell

Not to turn this thread sideways, but man watching that Aaron Craft clip and watching some of the IU games from the 2011-13 teams when BTN had IU Day, when was the last time IU had a team play with as much emotion and grit as the Zeller/Oladipo teams (outside of probably 2015-16) or had a player play as hard and with as much determination and emotion as Craft did in that clip?

I hope this 2020 class brings a shift in the culture and that Archie's personality finally begins coming out in the team. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I honestly have no idea what we’ll see for the 1st and 2nd teams. Having Swanigan and JaJuan on the same team as Craft is absurd lol. Craft is good but don’t think he’s in the top 15 of the last decade. 

Depends on how you’re rating. If you’re just going by stats, then yes, and it’s also absurd to have him on the same team as Yogi. But as much as I didn’t like Craft and I thought the refs let him get away with a ton of stuff, the fact is he was a great leader, a two-time conference DPOY and starting point guard on teams that won two conference titles (finished 2nd another time), went to two Elite 8’s and a Final Four.

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Depends on how you’re rating. If you’re just going by stats, then yes, and it’s also absurd to have him on the same team as Yogi. But as much as I didn’t like Craft and I thought the refs let him get away with a ton of stuff, the fact is he was a great leader, a two-time conference DPOY and starting point guard on teams that won two conference titles (finished 2nd another time), went to two Elite 8’s and a Final Four.

Craft is the type of player that IU needs right now and hopefully Galloway will be that type player.

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I honestly have no idea what we’ll see for the 1st and 2nd teams. Having Swanigan and JaJuan on the same team as Craft is absurd lol. Craft is good but don’t think he’s in the top 15 of the last decade. 

I would have to think Trey Burke and Cassius Winston would be the pg’s. Kaminsky has to be in there. Vic. Stephens from Penn St. Maybe Anthony Cowan. Valentine from MSU. To appease you, Carsten, but he really only had one exceptional season. 

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would have to think Trey Burke and Cassius Winston would be the pg’s. Kaminsky has to be in there. Vic. Stephens from Penn St. Maybe Anthony Cowan. Valentine from MSU. To appease you, Carsten, but he really only had one exceptional season. 

Cowan? No way he’s higher than Biggie. 

I think Carsen will be 2nd team. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cowan? No way he’s higher than Biggie. 

I think Carsen will be 2nd team. 

Looking at this for guys that played multiple years to deserve being all-decade.  I would see a better argument as Biggie v Cody because they both only played 2 years. Cowan did it over an extended period of time. Given that, he still would be behind both Burke and Winston.

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would see a better argument as Biggie v Cody because they both only played 2 years.

Swanigan vs. Zeller is a good debate. Stats are similar over their college careers, but there's no question who's been better since college.  If Zeller gets left off, I'd love to hear the criteria for selection.

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Carson doesn't belong ahead of Yogi.  He was a short volume scorer.

He received all-American honors in 2 separate seasons while Yogi only did in 1 season. He absolutely belongs ahead of him IMO. Not to mention Carsen had one of the best individual efforts in a postseason in college b-ball history. 

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He received all-American honors in 2 separate seasons while Yogi only did in 1 season. He absolutely belongs ahead of him IMO. Not to mention Carsen had one of the best individual efforts in a postseason in college b-ball history. 

Baloney.

Other than volume scoring, show me the stats where he had a better career.

Yogi was far better in assists to turnovers.

Yogi was a better shooter.

Carson scored more points because frankly, he shot a lot more.  Sure, he averaged 24 his junior year.  He also shot under 40% from the field.  Some tourney heroics don't change the overall story.

This debate I'm ready for.

Disappointing that Vic was only 2nd team.  Though Burke picked up most of the national POY awards that season, Vic did win Sporting News National POY. 

Burke, Valentine, Draymond, and Kaminsky are the only other B1G players to nab a National POY award during the decade (unless the '09-10' season is counted).  I bet the other 4 are first teamers on the all decade team.

And, in looking at those other guys, I can't fathom how NABC gave the award to Draymond over Anthony Davis that year.  

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Disappointing that Vic was only 2nd team.  Though Burke picked up most of the national POY awards that season, Vic did win Sporting News National POY. 

Burke, Valentine, Draymond, and Kaminsky are the only other B1G players to nab a National POY award during the decade (unless the '09-10' season is counted).  I bet the other 4 are first teamers on the all decade team.

And, in looking at those other guys, I can't fathom how NABC gave the award to Draymond over Anthony Davis that year.  

I think the only thing really holding Vic back is that he never got his team to a Final Four. All of those guys you listed played in the Final Four, with Burke, Draymond and Kaminsky playing in the National Title game. The furthest Vic went was the Sweet Sixteen and when you're splitting hairs it's those things that matter. 

The caveat to me is Draymond. While he was a NPOY, he only played two of his four seasons in this decade (shouldn't 2009-10 be considered the final year of the previous decade?) and he was more of a role player on his two Final Four teams, as they were his freshmen and sophomore years and not really in this decade.  

Archived