Garland suspended

Click around a bit... There are some awful things going on in Brentwood Academy's locker rooms.  And it appears the "adults" at Brentwood are less than exemplary. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/08/09/lawsuit-brentwood-academy-officials-refused-report-repeated-rapes-and-assaults-12-year-old-boy/552578001/

While the news release stated this incident wasn't of the same disgusting nature... Darius' suspension doesn't reflect positively on him.  And the most recent incident was serious enough to prompt the cancellation of a varsity basketball game.   

I'm shocked as I had no idea this was going on at Darius' school... and the history of the worst incident aligns with Darius' class progression over the last few years.  YIKES!

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Brentwood Academy Headmaster Curtis G. Masters is accused of telling the 12-year-old boy to "turn the other cheek" and "everything in God's kingdom happens for a reason."  

Curtis Masters is an immoral piece of garbage. Wow. 

Please remember that the accusation is in a lawsuit, and that people can and do claim the most hideous things they can think of about those whom they are suing.  I, and presumably you, have no idea whether there is any truth whatever in the allegations, so any conclusions based on the allegations are, at best, highly premature.  

40 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Please remember that the accusation is in a lawsuit, and that people can and do claim the most hideous things they can think of about those whom they are suing.  I, and presumably you, have no idea whether there is any truth whatever in the allegations, so any conclusions based on the allegations are, at best, highly premature.  

I tend to believe victims of sexual assault until proven otherwise.  I'm sure there are times that is wrong, but it encourages others to come forward whereas assuming something is wrong until proven otherwise, with something that is SO hard to come forward with, discourages people from coming forward.  That mindset has caused major problems in our country and people speaking up and being believed is finally changing that.  Please stop siding with the accused until you have a reason to do so. 

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I tend to believe victims of sexual assault until proven otherwise.  I'm sure there are times that is wrong, but it encourages others to come forward whereas assuming something is wrong until proven otherwise, with something that is SO hard to come forward with, discourages people from coming forward.  That mindset has caused major problems in our country and people speaking up and being believed is finally changing that.  Please stop siding with the accused until you have a reason to do so. 

I personally like showing both the accused and the accuser that I am willing to hear their stories and weigh the evidence.  Many lives have also been ruined by false accusations.  I absolutely get completely hearing the accuser's story and encouraging them to share fully before forming a judgment, but I would hope that a real system of justice would give both parties the same benefit of the doubt at least initially.

I hope that makes sense...I'm getting tired and starting to ramble...:coffee:

28 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

KoB, I understand your reasoning, but my best friend in the world lives in Russia where the accused is considered guilty until they prove their innocence. Our system works much better. 

I'm not advocating to overhaul our judicial system, I'm saying in cases of sexual assault we have a tendency to put victims through the ringer which discourages more victims from speaking up.  There is a rich history in our society of men in power silencing those abused by sexual assault and considering nothing happened with this, the evidence points towards that happening here.  Even if that quote isn't exact, although I tend to think it is since the Christian man pulled it from the Bible, he clearly didn't do anything to help the victim.  

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I personally like showing both the accused and the accuser that I am willing to hear their stories and weigh the evidence.  Many lives have also been ruined by false accusations.  I absolutely get completely hearing the accuser's story and encouraging them to share fully before forming a judgment, but I would hope that a real system of justice would give both parties the same benefit of the doubt at least initially.

I hope that makes sense...I'm getting tired and starting to ramble...:coffee:

My point wasn't even about the boys who committed the crime, it's about the failure to report from the headmaster.  He didn't give the accuser the benefit of the doubt, he told him to turn the other cheek.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

My point wasn't even about the boys who committed the crime, it's about the failure to report from the headmaster.  He didn't give the accuser the benefit of the doubt, he told him to turn the other cheek.  

You won't hear me defending that.  I've heard of ridiculous advice but that takes the cake.

It's hard to form an opinion on whatever Garland  did because we really don't know what he did, but I can't imagine it was small given the school's willingness to suspend their star player.

It does seem to speak to his character, getting suspended during his senior year. Surely by the 4th year, you ought to have a pretty good grasp of what the school expects of you.  I thought more of Darius than that but maybe I gave him too much credit.  Maybe being turned down ends up being a good thing after all...

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Can't believe what I just read. Even if everything that was said wan't true, this whole thing is still a serious, major crime that can change one person's life forever. 

If it wasn’t true it wouldn’t be a crime, nor would it change ones life then. Now days all you have to do is accuse somebody and social media does the rest for you, it’s a shame really.

I’ve been thinking about this. Several posters here have been talking about the class and character of Romeo, I wonder what he’s thinking about this. He did say Darius was going to try and recruit him to Vandy. We don’t know what, if any involvement Darius had in this, but he probably knew what was going on. Even knowing bad things are happening and not doing something is a mark against your character.

2 hours ago, Montana Hoosier said:

If it wasn’t true it wouldn’t be a crime, nor would it change ones life then. Now days all you have to do is accuse somebody and social media does the rest for you, it’s a shame really.

There's always 2 sides of the story, and the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. Even if not all, but some of those graphic details of the accusation really happened, that alone constitutes a serious crime. It just really hard to believe everything that the accuser said was not true. 

49 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Forreal, if Tim Langford is really as much of a straight-shooter as he is portrayed, this is great news for IU basketball. Not saying this will be a dealbreaker by any means, but it certainly won't HELP the case for Vandy with Garland reportedly being Romeo's key recruiter on behalf of Vandy

I thought about that too. Moreover, if Vandy still accepts Garland without any type of investigation, it's not even a reputable school.

Archived