Garland suspended

7 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

There's always 2 sides of the story, and the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. Even if not all, but some of those graphic details of the accusation really happened, that alone constitutes a serious crime. It just really hard to believe everything that the accuser said was not true. 

I think you also have to consider the embarrassment issue. This is a very hard thing to come forward with which makes it more likely to be true. People don't typically bring voluntarily, embarrassing information out. It's likely mostly or all true. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you also have to consider the embarrassment issue. This is a very hard thing to come forward with which makes it more likely to be true. People don't typically bring voluntarily, embarrassing information out. It's like mostly or all true. 

Well said. According to one article, the accusers want a jury trial. I can't even imagine the pain, suffering, and trauma this kid (and the family) has gone through and WILL go through the rest of his life. Their lives have been destroyed. 

These discussions are pretty difficult for me to at least me objective. Have a sister in law who was raped by knife point and 20+ years later she's still traumatized by it. So on one hand I'm very pro victim. On the other hand I have a family full of attorneys and I can share some of their  stories over the years of victims making accusations just to get even with a guy and this guy sitting in county jail for a couple of years until A)charges are dropped or B) not guilty verdict handed down........not everyone can afford bail.

I don't know the answer. I know here locally it was fairly common knowledge what was going on at Carmel. Probably still is. The pressures to go along with the crowd have never been bigger in my opinion. I thought we were making some progress on bullying,etc....but realize we just aren't.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

These discussions are pretty difficult for me to at least me objective. Have a sister in law who was raped by knife point and 20+ years later she's still traumatized by it. So on one hand I'm very pro victim. On the other hand I have a family full of attorneys and I can share some of their  stories over the years of victims making accusations just to get even with a guy and this guy sitting in county jail for a couple of years until A)charges are dropped or B) not guilty verdict handed down........not everyone can afford bail.

I don't know the answer. I know here locally it was fairly common knowledge what was going on at Carmel. Probably still is. The pressures to go along with the crowd have never been bigger in my opinion. I thought we were making some progress on bullying,etc....but realize we just aren't.

Thank you for sharing and so sorry to hear what happened to your sister. Wish one day sooner than later she would find peace in her heart. In reality, we would never know what really happened in the locker room since both sides WILL tell 2 totally different stories. Defendants will undoubtedly try to cover any of their misdeeds and make the situation trivial, and we don't know with what kinds of evidences plaintiff can present to support their case. I can only assume accusers wouldn't even push this case (and no sane legal counselor would advise them to move forward with the case) if they haven't gathered sizable evidences over the years. In the end, best case scenario would be severe bullying (but not sexually oriented), and worst case scenario would be what accusers said really happened. 

Boys will be boys, and we all know that in boys' world, weaker ones can often get picked on by peers. But IMO severe bullying is close to a crime, which can traumatize the victim and change their personalities and lives forever. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We aren't going about the bullying problem the right way. We are never going to eliminate the bully, but we can convince others to stand up for those being picked on, that's our real shot. I work in the elementary school, so I have a decently informed opinion. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We aren't going about the bullying problem the right way. We are never going to eliminate the bully, but we can convince others to stand up for those being picked on, that's our real shot. I work in the elementary school, so I have a decently informed opinion. 

I was a multi sport varsity athlete in high school and while bullying and hazing were all over the place in the locker room, sexual assault was no were to be seen. Maybe times are different (I graduated hs in 2001) but actions described in that article are not at all what I consider bullying....that's a homosexual raping a non consenting teammate. If this is what "bullying" has evolved to I'm glad as hell I'm not a kid today.  

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Brentwood Academy Headmaster Curtis G. Masters is accused of telling the 12-year-old boy to "turn the other cheek" and "everything in God's kingdom happens for a reason."  

Curtis Masters is an immoral piece of garbage. Wow. 

I wish I didn't read that article. For adult educators to cover up/not investigate accusations of that magnitude after multiple witnesses told their parents about it, is absolutely disgusting. Whether it's true or not, I'd pull my kid out of that school in a heartbeat....solely based on the school's response and lack of urgency. One has to wonder in this world of haves and have nots (and the haves thinking they're above the law) if the administration was fearing repercussions from the attackers' parents.  I mean, with a tuition of $25k is it not fair to speculate that some of these parents will yield a little power? 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I was a multi sport varsity athlete in high school and while bullying and hazing were all over the place in the locker room, sexual assault was no were to be seen. Maybe times are different (I graduated hs in 2001) but actions described in that article are not at all what I consider bullying....that's a homosexual raping a non consenting teammate. If this is what "bullying" has evolved to I'm glad as hell I'm not a kid today.  

I wasn't referring to the article or honestly HS at all.. I was talking about younger age bullying. 

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is very true. I'm extremely impressed with the principle at my kid's elementary school trying to engrain this thinking into the kids from day one. The school doesn't necessarily call out bullies, but they constantly preach kindness. They treat acts of a kindness as an act of strength, rather than a weakness. It seems like it translates as there is very little drama amongst the kids. 

I still feel most of bullying behavior starts with the parents; the fact that some still view it as a right of passage is a little disturbing to me. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wasn't referring to the article or honestly HS at all.. I was talking about younger age bullying. 

Gotcha, It was kinda hard to figure out which incident everyone was referencing and my comment was more directed at the topic and less at your specific comment. Hopefully the incident involving Garland is much less egregious than the previous issue. Given the dates of that one I think he was a Freshmen when the others were in 8th and 6th grade....still can't believe no one was charged with a crime there.

Archived