2020 Season

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but:

1) Given this seemingly never ending Covid situation, do you think there will actually be a college basketball season this year?  Football season?

2) If there is a season, do you think fans will be allowed at the games?

3) If they play, but no fans are allowed inside to watch, what effect do you think it will have on how the games are played, the emotional reactions and therefore the playing capabilities of the players, home court advantage or lack thereof?

4) Will the basketball and/or football schedules be altered or shortened, and will travel considerations need to be addressed?

This is probably enough for now!

8 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but:

1) Given this seemingly never ending Covid situation, do you think there will actually be a college basketball season this year?  Football season? 

I think there's a chance NCAA and power conferences try to push for a season without fans (because of $$$), but it'd be a bad idea until we have formidable cure or vaccines. The fact that COVID19 can be transmitted from people who have no symptoms IS a major deal breaker. Even without fans in the arenas, there's a chance virus would be spread among players, and if there's one player sick with COVID 19, the whole team and the most recent opposing team will be shut down for all activities at least 2 weeks for self-quarantine. 

2) If there is a season, do you think fans will be allowed at the games?

Fans shouldn't be allowed especially in basketball games in winter season. But IMO, fans should never be at the games until we have viable solutions. 

3) If they play, but no fans are allowed inside to watch, what effect do you think it will have on how the games are played, the emotional reactions and therefore the playing capabilities of the players, home court advantage or lack thereof?

Games without fans are glorified pickup games. No home court advantage. Not much excitement or adrenaline from players. Maybe due to less or no home court advantage, some strong teams can do better than they would've in normal game condition.   

4) Will the basketball and/or football schedules be altered or shortened, and will travel considerations need to be addressed?

Season should be cancelled until we have something, but if people in power would force a season, they should have a short season. Should basketball and football players play games with wearing facial masks? That'd be a disaster. 

This is probably enough for now!

I personally find basketball difficult to watch without a crowd.  Golf and NASCAR have been okay with no fans.  I think baseball would be fine as well.  Football would be a little bit hard to watch without fans, but I could probably adapt.  But, basketball?  I just get this image of something like you see in those recruiting videos of AAU games.  The crowd/fans change the game.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally find basketball difficult to watch without a crowd.  Golf and NASCAR have been okay with no fans.  I think baseball would be fine as well.  Football would be a little bit hard to watch without fans, but I could probably adapt.  But, basketball?  I just get this image of something like you see in those recruiting videos of AAU games.  The crowd/fans change the game.  

Same. I'm focused on the next 60 days or so with baseball, football,etc...but can't imagine the thought or idea of watching our Hoosiers at AH with reduced crowds. That's a 120+ days out so I'll put that one on the shelf for awhile.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I will still watch basketball but I totally agree with you that the crowd helps make college basketball.

1. No idea. I think so, but It's such a bizarre and continuously developing situation all around. I think it was Clemson that has already had 20 players test positive for COVID.

2. Maybe. The English Premier League has already had games without fans. That's pretty crazy itself. 

3. Major effect. Fans in college basketball of course have a real impact on games particularly home games. 

- Side note, it would be comic, though, to see that little putz Izzo try to figure out how to whine to officials with no crowd noise.

4. Likely, imo. 

What I do know, i'm in serious basketball (and sports generally) withdrawal. I know I want to see basketball, with or without fans. 

Our good friend on here just posted 187 players, staff,etc...have been tested at IU so far and ZERO positive results. I posted in football portion of board but thought this side should know as well. Or maybe someone would want to start a thread but this is a very, very good start to a long process.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Our good friend on here just posted 187 players, staff,etc...have been tested at IU so far and ZERO positive results. I posted in football portion of board but thought this side should know as well. Or maybe someone would want to start a thread but this is a very, very good start to a long process.

You hope players don't get it at all.  But, if they are going to test positive at some point, selfishly I would rather it be in the off-season than during the season.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

I need some IU basketball. I had high hopes for the team after the win in the BTT. Now we have Lander and the boys coming in. I wanna watch some Indiana basketball. Don't care if its with fans or without. 

Yeah. Without fans.  That way.  Bench players can sit in the stands, six feet or more away from each other... till coach calls them into the game.  Works for me.

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. Without fans.  That way.  Bench players can sit in the stands, six feet or more away from each other... till coach calls them into the game.  Works for me.

I'll take any IU basketball I can get. If it has to be this way, fine with me.

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maui Invitational just announced good to go this November. Obviously things can change but some positive news.

Glad they haven't cancelled.  Gives us some hope but at the same time this looks like a money grab to me.   Kinda like what the cruise companies were doing in April when they said they'd be cruising in July.  They were glad to get any cash they could to help stay afloat but they had to know the odds were slim to cruise.

I think it'll take a miracle to have college sports this year.  🙏🙏🙏

Go Hoosiers!!!   

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yo.. he looks bigger

I'm not saying he'll gain the Cody 40 but Lander under Marshall will tighten this kid up over the next 90 days without sacrificing his quickness/explosiveness I haven't seen in awhile from in state PG's. Probably since Yogi. 

Just now, IUProfessor said:

The Ivy League is shutting down all sports until January. At a minimum, this means no Ivy League schools in the non-conference schedule. Alternatively, it may prove to be the start of a trend, though...

They were the first to cancel their conference tournament in March.  At that time I thought, “It’s just the Ivy.  No one else will do the same.”  I’m at the point of believing we will see games when teams take the field. 

29 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The Ivy League is shutting down all sports until January. At a minimum, this means no Ivy League schools in the non-conference schedule. Alternatively, it may prove to be the start of a trend, though...

And I bet they wont even play then without a vaccine.  January may not be any better than July

BIG just restricted fall sports to in conference only.  I think they are trying to do what they can to salvage the season but with an outbreak at Ohio State and something like supposedly 40 kids at UNC causing them to shut down workouts, I am not holding my breath.

Closer to my home, Fishers HS (IN) had reported cases for kids getting ready for fall sports and they had to close up shop on workouts as well.

If things stay that way, you will have a hard time getting through a season.  Everytime a case is found, they would have to quarantine everyone in contact with that person.  If Ohio State had a game this Saturday, how could they play it?  I think the fall sports are toast, we'll see what happens with winter.

Archived