7 college basketball fans living in the past

https://fansided.com/2020/06/22/ncaa-basketball-fan-bases-living-in-past/7/

Found this article/ 

2. Indiana basketball fans long for the days of Bob Knight.
The top of our list takes a look at two of college basketball’s most prestigious programs that have fallen on hard times of late. Indiana, which has had little prominent success over the past two decades, certainly applies.
Basketball is everything in Indiana and the Hoosiers are truly the pride of the state. The program reached incredible heights under Hall-of-Famer Bob Knight, who guided the Hoosiers to three national championships.
The peak of the Knight era came in 1976 when Indiana went undefeated to win it all, making them the last program to accomplish that feat. The Hoosiers won two more titles in the 1980s and were tournament regulars throughout the 1990s before Knight was fired in 2000.
Knight’s successor, Mike Davis, took Indiana to the national championship game in 2002 before losing to Maryland. The Hoosiers have made the tournament on a pretty routine basis since then but haven’t advanced past the Sweet 16 since that 2002 run, a major disappointment for the school’s fans.
Indiana hasn’t suffered this fall from grace well, cycling through another two coaches before handing the job to Archie Miller. It’s unclear how patient Indiana fans will be with Miller since they are used to a legacy of success.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://fansided.com/2020/06/22/ncaa-basketball-fan-bases-living-in-past/7/

Found this article/ 

2. Indiana basketball fans long for the days of Bob Knight.
The top of our list takes a look at two of college basketball’s most prestigious programs that have fallen on hard times of late. Indiana, which has had little prominent success over the past two decades, certainly applies.
Basketball is everything in Indiana and the Hoosiers are truly the pride of the state. The program reached incredible heights under Hall-of-Famer Bob Knight, who guided the Hoosiers to three national championships.
The peak of the Knight era came in 1976 when Indiana went undefeated to win it all, making them the last program to accomplish that feat. The Hoosiers won two more titles in the 1980s and were tournament regulars throughout the 1990s before Knight was fired in 2000.
Knight’s successor, Mike Davis, took Indiana to the national championship game in 2002 before losing to Maryland. The Hoosiers have made the tournament on a pretty routine basis since then but haven’t advanced past the Sweet 16 since that 2002 run, a major disappointment for the school’s fans.
Indiana hasn’t suffered this fall from grace well, cycling through another two coaches before handing the job to Archie Miller. It’s unclear how patient Indiana fans will be with Miller since they are used to a legacy of success.

Part of the problem is that they haven't haven't  made the tournament on a routine basis the last 20 years. So the author was wrong about that.

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Part of the problem is that they haven't haven't  made the tournament on a routine basis the last 20 years. So the author was wrong about that.

They made it 12 out of 20 years if you count this past season.  Not great for our history so it depends what you call regularly.

I find articles like this ignorant. They could have called it, "Fans of Teams that Previously Won and Want to Win it Again".

All fans want to win. If you haven't won at a high level in several years, you want to win now. If you won it all last year, you want to win now. That's what all fans want every year. The only thing this article does is show how weak writers are today. It's fluff and nonsense all day every day. Anyone could put together this list and make up an article just like this one. Still, it begs the question - what is living in the past?

In what way are we living in the past? Is it because the fans recall and discuss great seasons in their favorite program's history? All fans do do that. Is there a retro fashion statement being made with leisure suits and platform shoes? I am not seeing that in Indiana. Are families remodeling their homes to match days gone by with shag carpet and lime green furniture?  What does it mean to "live in the past"?  And what about teams that have never won a championship or had any real success? What past do they have to live in?

Perhaps it is the idea teams like IU have fans that want and expect to be championship contenders again. Should we expect less? Should fans who buy tickets and donors who contribute to the program just fold it up and quit? Never going to happen. The fan base is too large, too strong, and too committed to seeing IU winning at the highest level again. Yes, we expect to be title contenders again. It's just a matter of time. That is not living in the past. That's an IU fans expectation. It's in our blood.  

Too often this pointless drivel comes seeping out from alleged professional writers. It has to be the second biggest con business going today, right behind the so-called recruiting experts who try to pawns their "insights" for money. You come to expect it. Just as you can expect a few anti-Bob Knight articles to come oozing out as click bait when things are slow and the "writer" has to submit something.

4 minutes ago, Sark said:

It’s probably aimed at people who are delusional enough think it’s just a matter of time until IU wins big again because, well, we’re IU, and we’re an elite basketball school because we won an NCAA championship over 30 years ago. So we’re going to win one again. Nebraska and Michigan know this feeling in football, and both are much closer to national championships than we are. That’s what it means to live in the past from the writer's point of view.

Then the writer is an idiot

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Then the writer is an idiot

Why, did it hit to close to home.  I am as guilty as anyone but our fan base dies like to live in the past and don't handle change well.  It is like our fans would go nuts if we actually would put names on the back of the Jersey or get rid of the candy stripes.  Also when there was talk of a new arena out fans would not stand for that kind of talk because we want things to stay the same.

21 minutes ago, Sark said:

It’s probably aimed at people who are delusional enough think it’s just a matter of time until IU wins big again because, well, we’re IU, and we’re an elite basketball school because we won an NCAA championship over 30 years ago. So we’re going to win one again. Nebraska and Michigan know this feeling in football, and both are much closer to national championships than we are. That’s what it means to live in the past from the writer's point of view.

I'll give you Michigan since they've been consistently ranked and usually in the top 10. Nebraska, however, is not closer to a national championship in football than IU is in basketball. They've been mediocre for a while now. I'd say they're about on par with IU basketball in relation to winning another national championship in the near future.

52 minutes ago, Sark said:

I meant closer historically, not moving forward.

Their last bowl game was in 2016. So, again, I'll have to disagree. They've been just as close to winning a national championship in those years as IU has to winning a basketball championship. Nebraska hasn't really been a serious contender for a national championship since they joined the B1G. IU basketball has also been to a national championship game since the last time Nebraska won a football national championship.

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

You must not follow college football. Nebraska last won a football national championship in 1997. IU last won a basketball NC 10 years earlier, in 1987. They’re much closer to it than IU has been.

Yes, and IU went to the championship game in 2002 which is more recent than 1997. That's as close as you can get without winning it.  I even mentioned it in the comment you replied to.

Then in 2013 IU was a #1 seed in the tournament, although they only made it to the Sweet 16. Both times they could have won the championship.

But I get it, you're just here to argue because that's all I see you ever do.

11 minutes ago, Sark said:

You must not follow college football. Nebraska last won a football national championship in 1997. IU last won a basketball NC 10 years earlier, in 1987. They’re much closer to it than IU has been.

We were in the national championship game in 2002 and was leading with 20 minutes to go

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, and IU went to the championship game in 2002 which is more recent than 1997. That's as close as you can get without winning it.  I even mentioned it in the comment you replied to.

Then in 2013 IU was a #1 seed in the tournament, although they only made it to the Sweet 16. Both times they could have won the championship.

But I get it, you're just here to argue because that's all I see you ever do.

Yes he is only here to argue and even when proven wrong he won't admit it

21 minutes ago, Sark said:

I will also add that while each school has 5 championships, Nebraska's all come during 2 decades (70's and 90's) while IU's are across 4 decades with 2 other decades of having teams with legitimate chances of winning the championship (40's, 50's, 70's, 80's for championships with final four or better in 90's and 00's).

13 minutes ago, Sark said:

No, I was just presenting you with facts. You were quibbling. That’s what people without facts do.

And what have I stated which isn't factual? I showed you times that IU has more recently been closer to a national championship than Nebraska since Nebraska last won one. And Nebraska isn't anywhere close to winning one right now.

When you said "closer" did you actually mean "more recent?" If so, you should work on better expressing the point you're trying because that is a key element of communication. If not, then you're just straight wrong that Nebraska is "much closer to national championships than we are." 

12 minutes ago, Sark said:

Nebraska and Michigan are both closer to football national championships than IU is to a basketball one. That’s an easily proven fact that you’re trying to quibble over to make an invalid point, and now you’re doubling down with your deflection of “more recent”versus “closer”. Are you always this obtuse? And have you even bothered to consider the premise of the article, which is largely accurate? Somehow I doubt it.

How is that a fact and how can you prove that.  You need to learn the difference between opinion and a fact.

Put it this way it is harder to get into the football championship than it is to make the tournament. To even get a chance to win the football championship you have to be in the 4 in the country so it will be harder for Nebraska to get a chance to win.  Just like in 2002 when we made that run to the championship game it is easier for us to get a chance to make a run.

Just now, Sark said:

It’s a fact that those two schools won national championships more recently than IU. That’s not an opinion. It’s fact.

Nobody is talking about 1997 but you said as of today they are closer to winning a championship which is your opinion and not a fact.  IU basketball has more recently been in a championship than has Nebraska football.  Also like I said in another post it will be harder for a football program to win a championship than it will be for a basketball team.  You have to first win the big ten championship and be a top 4 team in the country to even get a chance to win.

16 minutes ago, Sark said:

You seem to be confused. They are closer as in they’ve won championships more recently. That’s a fact, not an opinion. You must not follow football either lol.

I have probably watched college sports longer than you been alive.  What does winning more recently have to do with the present or the future which is the only thing that is important.

Archived