7 college basketball fans living in the past

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sark said:

Nebraska and Michigan are both closer to football national championships than IU is to a basketball one. That’s an easily proven fact that you’re trying to quibble over to make an invalid point, and now you’re doubling down with your deflection of “more recent”versus “closer”. Are you always this obtuse? And have you even bothered to consider the premise of the article, which is largely accurate? Somehow I doubt it.

It's not a deflection. Closer means something different than more recent. Learn the English language and improve your communication skills, they're lacking. 

2 hours ago, Sark said:

Nebraska and Michigan are both closer to football national championships than IU is to a basketball one. That’s an easily proven fact that you’re trying to quibble over to make an invalid point, and now you’re doubling down with your deflection of “more recent”versus “closer”. Are you always this obtuse? And have you even bothered to consider the premise of the article, which is largely accurate? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm not sure about Nebraska. Right now they've got a ways to go to catch up with Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. 

The fact that Tom Crean was able to achieve a #1 ranking here shows the basketball program still has a pulse, albeit it's a faint one at the moment and only getting weaker with each passing year. Still, I'd say there's a better chance we win a title in basketball in the next 10 years than Nebraska winning it all in football. The high school football talent pool in Nebraska pales in comparison to the basketball talent here. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

The article was about IU fans living on the past. You didn’t understand  it I guess. Lol

I understood fine it was you who could not describe what you were talking about.  You made it sound like they were closer to winning a championship today than we are.  From the response to your post I am not the only one who thought the same thing.  We no you are only here to argue and try to make yourself feel bigger than you are.

3 minutes ago, Sark said:

You “no”? I guess that’s why this was over your head! Lol

It seems like you get you self worth trying to prove you are the smartest on a sports.message board.  I did not realize this was a grammar class so sorry for my little error. Since this is a message board about sports and not a grammar class I stand by what I said.

It is obvious by your post you don't bring anything when it comes to sports knowledge. With your lack of knowledge you have to try to bring something to this board so you have decided to be the one who will argue with everyone

Just now, Sark said:

No need for a meltdown, Scott. Sorry you didn’t understand the article or the issue of IU fans living in the past.

I understood it fine and knew what they were talking about.  Why don't you learn to express your thoughts better because everyone thought the same thing. You said they were closer to winning a championship and  not that they won a championship more recently.

1 minute ago, Sark said:

I thought most people would understand it based on the theme of the article. Sorry you weren’t able to. Didn’t think it was that difficult.

Again you should have said more recently than that they are closer to winning a championship.  I am the one that started the thread and knew what the meaning of the article.  Both fan base are similar because we do live on the past and that was understood.  What you said had nothing to do with living the past but what is happening now or that is how you made it sound.

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

I thought most people would understand it based on the theme of the article. Sorry you weren’t able to. Didn’t think it was that difficult.

Look, you are welcome to post here. But since ost 1 you have habitually been combative, and now insulting.

You are allowed to present your opinion. But you need to cut back on being overtly contrarian, and personal insults.

Be strong in your opinion, but keep it clean. You game is too transparent at this point.

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

You also never answered my question to see what your college basketball knowledge is.  If you want to know the answer who were in the 77 final four. Marquette beat UNC in the finals.  The other two final four teams were UNLV and UNC Charlotte.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Can't you guys get a room somewhere and take this pissing match elsewhere?

I would think you are use to this kind of thing since your buddies over at rivals are like this.  This guy reminds me of Ordfan who thinks he is the smartest guy on the board and thinks that he knows more about IU than anyone.  I should learn not to argue with him since that is all he is here for so I should know better.  I was fine until.he had the nerve to question my fandom of IU or college sports.  If you have been on this board for very.long you would no how long I have followed IU.

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

Who started at center for Marquette? Where was the game played (city and arena)? 

Jerome Whitehead was the center and the game was in Atlanta in the Omni. The Omni the same arena where IU beat UNC in the sweet 16 in 1984.  Also was the last game for Marquette's coach Al McGuire who retired after that game.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would think you are use to this kind of thing since your buddies over at rivals are like this.  This guy reminds me of Ordfan who thinks he is the smartest guy on the board and thinks that he knows more about IU than anyone.  I should learn not to argue with him since that is all he is here for so I should know better.  I was fine until.he had the nerve to question my fandom of IU or college sports.  If you have been on this board for very.long you would no how long I have followed IU.

Scott, let it go. Please.

This conversation is going nowhere good.

3 hours ago, Sark said:

Uh fact is Nebraska hasn’t finished the season ranked in the top 10 in football since 2001 and Nor have they been ranked in the top ten late in the season when rankings matter not some early preseason popularity poll ranking since about then either. Michigan has had some fine football teams in the top 10 but ultimately does that even mean you are close when there is such a wide margin of separation from even teams in the top 4 championship playoffs much less past top 5..but if things fell differently a few years back could at least played in the playoffs. Indiana basketball AP high was #1 in 2013 and finished #4 despite a sweet 16 loss. That team despite losing to Syracuse was a NC contender even with the late season injuries and issues. You can’t say that about any Nebraska team past 01 which was also approximately @ the championship runner up team for us. While I would say we are both proud fanbases we have had much more recent success and I would even say much closer to return given the parity of men’s basketball vs football. Nebraska made a horrible mistake leaving the Big 12 recruiting footprint as no kids in Texas etc are watching B1G football.

51 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Can't you guys get a room somewhere and take this pissing match elsewhere?

Why?? Whether they will ever agree is probably not happening but this is where it belongs lol. This is a dead horse article anyways...heard it a thousand times and nothing new is brought to the table. I think we have an exciting future ahead of us...whether we win a NC who knows....very difficult to do..that is why Knight winning 3 and had us in the mix for a couple more is so remarkable and made him legendary. It’s special and we recognize it and I don’t think we expect it again but we definitely want to be back in that conversation year in and year out.

The article had a link to another list, the top 25 bucket list for college basketball fans. The list included going to a UNC-Duke game (hard to argue with that), Maui Classic, play-in games in Dayton etc while some of the list involved going to certain college arenas. The top college arena to go to a game, according to this list, was Kansas, followed by Duke, followed by IU.  We have been relatively mediocre for nearly 30 years and they still consider the Hall to be a must visit venue for fans. I agree and it shows that we are a sleeping giant. I just hope we wake up soon:)

On 6/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, Euroclydon said:

I find articles like this ignorant. They could have called it, "Fans of Teams that Previously Won and Want to Win it Again".

All fans want to win. If you haven't won at a high level in several years, you want to win now. If you won it all last year, you want to win now. That's what all fans want every year. The only thing this article does is show how weak writers are today. It's fluff and nonsense all day every day. Anyone could put together this list and make up an article just like this one. Still, it begs the question - what is living in the past?

In what way are we living in the past? Is it because the fans recall and discuss great seasons in their favorite program's history? All fans do do that. Is there a retro fashion statement being made with leisure suits and platform shoes? I am not seeing that in Indiana. Are families remodeling their homes to match days gone by with shag carpet and lime green furniture?  What does it mean to "live in the past"?  And what about teams that have never won a championship or had any real success? What past do they have to live in?

Perhaps it is the idea teams like IU have fans that want and expect to be championship contenders again. Should we expect less? Should fans who buy tickets and donors who contribute to the program just fold it up and quit? Never going to happen. The fan base is too large, too strong, and too committed to seeing IU winning at the highest level again. Yes, we expect to be title contenders again. It's just a matter of time. That is not living in the past. That's an IU fans expectation. It's in our blood.  

Too often this pointless drivel comes seeping out from alleged professional writers. It has to be the second biggest con business going today, right behind the so-called recruiting experts who try to pawns their "insights" for money. You come to expect it. Just as you can expect a few anti-Bob Knight articles to come oozing out as click bait when things are slow and the "writer" has to submit something.

Well stated!!   😁

Archived