7 college basketball fans living in the past

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I’ve made it a point to never put anyone on ignore, though I do highly doubt he’s actually an IU fan, though admittedly I don’t have “proof”. 

He is the first one I have on this forum but had many on ignore when I was in rivals.  This guy seems like a couple of guys over there that thought they new more than anyone and was so conected to the program.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sark said:

You claimed they have structural problems, which is nonsense. Their problem, much like IU basketball, is that they believed they had some secret sauce that was unique to them and that winning would always occur because of it. They forgot, or never knew, that it’s about leadership. So they made lousy hire after lousy hire, just like IU, and the program fell off, not winning a national championship in 25 years. And that’s with the most loyal fan base in all of sports, selling out every game in a growing stadium since 1962. That’s with the best facilities. That’s with an ease of admission to the university. Sound familiar? The right leadership opens up all those recruiting avenues again. Not sure? Look at Alabama football and who’s won and who hasn’t, or Texas and T A&M, or USC, or FSU. Look at DePaul or Georgetown in hoops. Leadership is the issue. Not structural problems.

This is pure deflection.  Of course leadership is critical.  We could talk about IU’s mistakes and have done so on this site for years.  I didn’t like much of it in real time.  But what you pressed me on was why I thought Nebraska football and Indiana basketball do not have the same story.  I gave you an answer and you are moving the subject around.  At the end of the day, Indiana will always have access to winning in state talent.  Basketball is only about 13 scholarships, a small fraction of what it takes in football.  I gave you my reasoning and you pushed back seemingly to say Nebraska can still get elite out of state talent and out of region talent in the volume they used to when they used to get the Roziers and Fryars from Jersey, etc.  Lawrence Phillips came out of Cali.  You’re being disingenuous if you are trying to argue they are still getting those guys in the volume they would need.  And it would be an upset if they got that any time soon.  

I’m sure you remember those 1980s Nebraska teams where they seemed to be in the Orange Bowl every year.  I have a buddy who played defensive end there then.  They were stacked with elite out of state talent.  That might as well have been a different galaxy from their potential now.  

IU basketball doesn’t have to deal with all those problems since the in state talent in basketball is endless.  IU has had poor leadership at a variety of levels but there have been a host of in state players that IU could have won with if we had better leadership as you put it.  From Kyle Guy to Luke Harangody to Dominic James to Sean McDermott to Bryant McIntosh to Desmond Bane, and that’s without getting into the Deshaun Thomas, Greg Oden and Mike Conley types.   Or Sean May jilting us over loyalty to his dad’s coach.   You can expect that this type of talent will be there the next 20 years.  Nebraska doesn’t have any of that.  

And to think it’s realistic that Nebraska could come out of the junior division of the B1G and then knock out OSU or PSU AND then beat an SEC school and/or Clemson? They just aren’t set up for that.  Their challenge is far greater than anything IU basketball has.  That’s the topic that you asked me to explain and there it is.  I can’t keep repeating myself so that’s it.  You can deflect and change the subject all you want but those are structural differences between Nebraska football and IU basketball.

Just now, Sark said:

Nothing has changed structurally for Nebraska, which is why your argument was nonsense. You can’t even explain what you meant, since it meant nothing. Their issue, like IUs has been leadership. 

They don’t have access to in state talent. They don’t have Tom Osborne.  IU doesn’t have Knight but we don’t need to go convince some Jersey kid to come to IU. We can go to Silver Creek with or without Knight and get talent.  Nebraska can’t go into Camden and get a stud athlete without Osborne.  Big difference.  

2 minutes ago, Sark said:

So RL passed on those schools that you say cheat for IU? And TL was known to have been paid by Addidas. Hmm.

TL was payed by Adidas, that’s not a secret. He was paid to operate Langford’s AAU Team, just like Marvin Bagley’s parents were paid by Nike to operate his AAU team.  

Yeah, Langford and Cal didn’t get along on that international tour they were on. That’s also pretty common knowledge. You’re out of your mind if you don’t think Cal wanted and would have absolutely taken Langford if he wanted to go there.  

7 minutes ago, Sark said:

And everyone said Duke cheated to get MB, too. The RL situation was no different. Part of the reason Cal didn’t want Romeo was because TL wanted more than a scholarship offer. It’s what everyone knew happened.

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Sark said:

The talent level is no different today in Nebraska than it ever was. That’s more nonsense. It’s leadership. Look how much trouble some IU coaches had recruiting in Indiana. It’s all about leadership.

I’m sorry but if you think Nebraska’s talent now is as good as it was in the 1980s, it’s impossible to have a rational conversation with you. 

27 minutes ago, Sark said:

And everyone said Duke cheated to get MB, too. The RL situation was no different. Part of the reason Cal didn’t want Romeo was because TL wanted more than a scholarship offer. It’s what everyone knew happened.

Where's your proof?

Just now, Sark said:

You guys all claim proof isn’t necessary. TL was paid by Addidas. That’s well known fact. Why are you changing your tune now?

Where did I say no proof is necessary? You're the one telling everyone to back up their claims with proof so of course you have the evidence to back up your own claims, right?

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

You can’t prove he didn’t take money. That’s your standard and Scott’s. 

Give it up. I said he took money from Adidas. Just like many UK, Duke, UK recruits and other top recruits. 

I'm curious why, as a supposed IU fan, you're so into defending Cal and K, yet quick to talk about Langford? And regardless of who you are a fan of, you're really into defending a largely morally corrupt industry. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

You’re denying TL was paid by Addidas? Yes or no? And yes everyone here has said that proof isn’t needed.

Who on this board has said Adidas didn't pay the Langford's? It's common knowledge that Tim Langford was paid by Adidas to run their AAU program. It's legal in terms of the NCAA. 

22 minutes ago, Sark said:

The in state talent in Nebraska is no different today than it was then. You’re talking in circles because you made a nonsensical comment about structural issues and you’re deflecting to get out of it. It’s always been a leadership issue. You can’t argue otherwise.

That’s your move. Change the subject.  I never said anything about their in state talent, which is light.  I was talking about their access to volumes of high end out of state talent.  They can’t win with in state talent in football and they are unable to get the out of region talent where they had heavy success 30 years ago.  Keep deflecting. Those are structural problems for them, along with the uphill struggle they will have to get to and have success in the playoff.  I can’t keep replying to your deflections and stubbornness no matter how off you are.  

Just now, Sark said:

So, IU has recruited just like UK and Duke recruit and according to people here they cheat. Ergo . . 
And show me where I defended Cal or K. I just said allegations required proof and several posters jumped all over me and said proof wasn’t needed. That doesn’t feel right or fair.

Yeah, you're wrong again. Shoe companies funding AAU programs, even those run by parents of recruits is perfectly legal. I'd figure you, being a bastion of "proof" would be up on those types of things. 

Adidas funding Langford's AAU team, in the view of the NCAA, is not even remotely similar to Anthony Davis recieving $200K in cash or Zion Williamson's parents moving into a million dollar home in Durham. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Who on this board has said Adidas didn't pay the Langford's? It's common knowledge that Tim Langford was paid by Adidas to run their AAU program. It's legal in terms of the NCAA. 

I would just give it up because he had no clue about anything.  He is just here to troll the board and to ruin this board.  He is the type of poster that was on rivals and the reason I left that board.  You are a well respected member of this board and shouldn't have to put up with this non Sense.  A lot of us have been on this board along time and for the most part we have had great posters.  We have not always agreed on everything but we always did it in a cordial way.  It is a shame that one bad poster has to bring down this great board.

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Those same people have said that shoe companies doing the same for Duke, UK and KU is illegal. Can’t have it both ways 

Once again, a shoe company funding an AAU program is not the same in terms of eligibility or NCAA rules as Zion Williamson's family moving into a million dollar home in Durham or Bill Self signing off on $60,000 going to Silvio De Sousa. 

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

You’re denying TL was paid by Addidas? Yes or no? And yes everyone here has said that proof isn’t needed.

I don't deny that. Adidas paid for the AAU team he ran. It is, and was then, legal. 

However, the post of yours that I replied to said nothing about that. Here it is again since you got confused. You stated this as fact so where's your evidence?

47 minutes ago, Sark said:

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Where’s the proof AD got 200k. Not rumors, not innuendo. Proof. I know you don’t have any.

Funny how out your way you go to defend UK, yet you want to bury IU and Langford. 

Go do your own research, there are tons of articles out there on it. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Funny how out your way you go to defend UK, yet you want to bury IU and Langford. 

Go do your own research, there are tons of articles out there on it. 

He wants to bury IU because he is a UK fan and he is finally seeing Cal's system is not working ad well as it was earlier.

5 minutes ago, Sark said:

How was Duke wrong in the ZW matter? What did they do? Again even a little proof would be nice but you have none. And show me proof Self did that. Not rumor. Proof. Any at all. 

So all of these guys are getting paid. Zion's family all of the sudden has sweet rides and is living in a million dollar home in Durham, not where they're from and in the same town as Duke's campus and Coach K is oblivious and has no idea? 

Did Coach K direct the payments, most likely not. But, he had no idea that Zion's family all of the sudden moved to one of the sweetest homes in town?

You are extremely naive. 

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Those same people have said that shoe companies doing the same for Duke, UK and KU is illegal. Can’t have it both ways 

Your head is in the sand if you think a guy like Self doesn’t cheat or that UNC didn’t engage in a wide spread 20 year conspiracy to defraud the NCAA over academic fraud or that Louisville cheated as a recruiting strategy or that Duke leased a million dollar house for a player as they did with Magette years ago or that Kentucky’s entire culture is a cesspool of desperate cheating or that their coach was embroiled in cheating scandals in both of his prior stops.  

Meanwhile, your reckless ignorance or mendacity regarding IU’s administration undercuts your credibility.  You either know or should know based on your stubborn overconfidence and arrogance that IU’s administration goes overboard in trying to catch IU in the slightest irregularities.  They self reported phone calls.  We talking about phone calls.  Meanwhile Billy what’s his name at Kansas gets caught driving a Bentley.  A number of guys who purported to like IU in the recruiting process ended up at cheating schools months after singing IUs praise.  It’s not complicated to follow what happened when you look at kids like Rawle Alkins and Billy Bentley who got paid off by Kansas.  

No, IU does not cheat at the level of those schools to competitive disadvantage.  You’re fooling yourself if you think IU couldn’t wade into those waters and land that kind of talent. 

13 minutes ago, Sark said:

They don’t get out of state talent because of leadership. It’s always been that simple no matter how little you know about it or try to avoid what you’ve said. Stuctual challenges. You can’t even explain that. You really don’t know  what your talking about.Structural issues. Lol

I can’t help you any further.  It’s beyond your grasp.  

8 minutes ago, Sark said:

So Addidas funneled money to RL thru his dad? And RL was only choosing from Addidas schools?

So no proof. Got it.

For the record, your responses constitute a deflection unlike my clarification earlier in this thread which you tried to say was one. Again, learn the English language.

Archived