C.J. Gunn - 2022 committed to IU

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Great shooter and couldn't believe he missed that one free throw in OT.  He is shooting 95% from the line but he is a good one.  I did not watch all of the game especially the first half but I did not see Goode hit a shot.  I saw him shoot an air ball from 3

For as good as he was last night, he was really bad tonight. Loyer doesn’t really have off games which is crazy. Goode went for 41 last night but Loyer still went for 20. Loyer is their leading scorer I believe. 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For as good as he was last night, he was really bad tonight. Loyer doesn’t really have off games which is crazy. Goode went for 41 last night but Loyer still went for 20. Loyer is their leading scorer I believe. 

Maybe he'll be as good as his brother in college...

😯

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He's listed at 6'3 and Foster is listed at 6'0. 

And Foster was rated 40 positions higher than his kid brother in the rankings.

Good luck...

They’re very different players. Foster was/is an undersized PG while Fletcher is a combo guard with much better size. Just made a 40-spot jump in the rivals rankings. Will likely be the next Mathias/Cline/Stefanovich. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They’re very different players. Foster was/is an undersized PG while Fletcher is a combo guard with much better size. Just made a 40-spot jump in the rivals rankings. Will likely be the next Mathias/Cline/Stefanovich. 

Certainly possible...Painter seems to have good “luck” with these projects. I say “luck” because if I imply it’s his player development or coaching everyone rushes to say he is lucky he didn’t get run out for not winning a tournament game or say how he will never get to a final four. Just figure I’ll try to play it safe to avoid another argument about his coaching ability. 😉

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Certainly possible...Painter seems to have good “luck” with these projects. I say “luck” because if I imply it’s his player development or coaching everyone rushes to say he is lucky he didn’t get run out for not winning a tournament game or say how he will never get to a final four. Just figure I’ll try to play it safe to avoid another argument about his coaching ability.

I have watched the  older Loyer at MSU and only saw the younger one yesterday.  Saying this I do think the younger Loyer is the better player and is a great shooter.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also his rating could go up since he is only a junior and hopefully they can have a normal summer to be evaluated better.

Remember Duncomb was originally somewhere in the 115 range or maybe a little higher when he committed.  He is now in the top 70 I believe.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Any idea when 247 will update their rankings?

Hard to evaluate kids when so many can’t play and many others playing are playing abbreviated schedules. I’d say it won’t change much unless AAU happens this summer and kids can take visits or be brought to campus. I think most of kids ratings come from which colleges are having visits and offering more than their actual ability. These recruiting boards evaluations I don’t hold much value in....look at a kids offers and look at his game tapes and I think anyone on here can evaluate as well as the recruiting services.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Rankings in general should be taken with a grain of salt. This year they are more meaningless than usual with Covid. Less opportunities for kids to show improvement and less opportunities for the "experts" to watch them. I still maintain if you are paying for recruiting information you are wasting your money and not just because the "expert" was a gym teacher last week until the budget cuts were announced.

As for CJ Gunn, he can help this team. IU has relied on undersized guards for a long time. It is clear they are making an effort to get the bigger, more athletic kids at that spot. It is absolutely needed in the pack line. Closing out with 6'4/6'5 is better than the 5'11/6'0. If you have Franklin, Leal, Galloway (all in the 6'4/6'5 range) and add Gunn at 6'5 you get kids who can challenge shots and won't get completely destroyed when they switch.

Agreed...we also can use the size at the other end too. I’m more than happy to try to work with some kids that are flat out shooters and teach them to close out and help. I mean what’s it matter to have a top 20 defense with an offense that is mired at the bottom 3rd. We need some balance.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought this one was done when I heard his Dad's comments about IU players being taken care of now and down the road. Much like Armaan at same time....I think he's underrated. Should be a very good player for us for years to come. 

Good points.  Love the length and potential on both ends.  

• Like 2