C.J. Gunn - 2022 committed to IU

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Couldn't agree more - the thing that is hurting us right now is that one of the guy's who is supposed to be in that stud stage is Rob and he for whatever reason (I suspect his concussion) he just hasn't progressed. You can see he has the physical tools to have developed like you'd hope, it just isn't working out. 

I have always thought the concussion issue was overated not the right word ibwant but I think now it has had a big impact  he is not playing one he did in High school AAU Or his freshmen year. He has all the tools

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Couldn't agree more - the thing that is hurting us right now is that one of the guy's who is supposed to be in that stud stage is Rob and he for whatever reason (I suspect his concussion) he just hasn't progressed. You can see he has the physical tools to have developed like you'd hope, it just isn't working out. 

You think the concussion issue has had that effect? I've never had one (that I know of) so I don't know how long something like that lingers. I did see Race's segment on one of the BTN shows, and he said it lasted quite a while...

I think @rico had a good thought in that his confidence is down because he's looking over his shoulder at Khristian Lander. Rob can see the talent that kid possesses...It's gotta be weighing on him some...

He's gotta forget that and just play basketball. I heard John Beilein on a broadcast the other night talking about what HE did when he had a player with a confidence problem. He told them to not shoot, but concentrate on every other facet of the game it would take to help his team win. Eventually, the confidence comes back...

Sage advice from a great coach...

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hope we keep bringing in kids like Gunn and Armaan every year. 

Contribute some year 1

Really start blossoming year 2

Absolute stud year 3 and year 4. 

Yep and by the sounds of it Armaan basically told him the same. I'll say it to my death bed. 2002 team is my model. Core of 5-6  3/4 year guys who are starters peppered with elite like JJ. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You think the concussion issue has had that effect? I've never had one (that I know of) so I don't know how long something like that lingers. I did see Race's segment on one of the BTN shows, and he said it lasted quite a while...

I think @rico had a good thought in that his confidence is down because he's looking over his shoulder at Khristian Lander. Rob can see the talent that kid possesses...It's gotta be weighing on him some...

He's gotta forget that and just play basketball. I heard John Beilein on a broadcast the other night talking about what HE did when he had a player with a confidence problem. He told them to not shoot, but concentrate on every other facet of the game it would take to help his team win. Eventually, the confidence comes back...

Sage advice from a great coach...

It's pure speculation on my part, but concussions can have long-term effects. Given that his issues seem to be more mental than physical, at least to me, I don't think it is something we should rule out. 

• Like 2

CJ Gunn reminds me, frame-wise, of one of my all-tume favorite Hoosiers: Greg Graham.  Long, rangy, tall for a guard.  I echo the above.  This guy will be a load as a Jr/Sr at IU.  

Archie’s get old, stay old will grow in power as the roster grows and gets stronger further down the bench. 

One area of growth from previous coach to now: depth.  The end our bench no longer has Grant Gelons.  

• Like 3

Oh, and meant to also add how pleased I am for adding a young person of CJ’s character, who didn’t need the ego strokes of stretching out his recruiting.  Seems like a quality family.  

Conversely, shame on you “Dan Dakich” Leary, who was convicted of embezzlement, for derogatory comments about the announcement.  The idiocy or stones on Leary are stunning considering the rather public stepping in shat he did.  

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Oh, and meant to also add how pleased I am for adding a young person of CJ’s character, who didn’t need the ego strokes of stretching out his recruiting.  Seems like a quality family.  

Conversely, shame on you “Dan Dakich” Leary, who was convicted of embezzlement, for derogatory comments about the announcement.  The idiocy or stones on Leary are stunning considering the rather public stepping in shat he did.  

And what bothers me is the guy who interviewed CJ Gunn after his announcement let Leary say those things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have always thought the concussion issue was overated not the right word ibwant but I think now it has had a big impact  he is not playing one he did in High school AAU Or his freshmen year. He has all the tools

Had a concussion playing football...dizziness foggy but that went away in about 5-10 mins replaced by a headache for a day. However my cousin hit his head on basketball floor a few years ago and he was in the hospital for a couple days monitoring him...he had symptoms that lasted months and migraines. Probably somewhere in the middle. I wouldn’t think this far removed he has effects still. To me it’s definitely between his ears...I have my suspicions but hate to say what I think exactly because I don’t want to start rumors and speak what I don’t know. But to me it seems to be not injury health but more mental health related. I’ll stop there. 

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

The only thing Leary can teach anybody is how, with a fanbase that worships IU players, to somehow screw that up and get the "in" in front of "famous."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

And what bothers me is the guy who interviewed CJ Gunn after his announcement let Leary say those things.

You should have heard Jim Coyle who interviewed CJ , on his show ripping into Archie and calling him inept.  He said we will never be good ad long as Archie is the coach.  If I was the AD and heard these comments I would not give him press credentials any longer.  He was telling and screaming whole show and had to turn it off.

Edited by IU Scott

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You should have heard Jim Coyle who interviewed CJ , on his show ripping into Archie and calling him inept.  He said we will never be good ad long as Archie is the coach.  If I was the AD and heard these comments I would not give him press credentials any longer.  He was telling and screaming whole show and had to turn it off.

So two faced ugh

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

CJ Gunn reminds me, frame-wise, of one of my all-tume favorite Hoosiers: Greg Graham.  Long, rangy, tall for a guard.  I echo the above.  This guy will be a load as a Jr/Sr at IU.  

Archie’s get old, stay old will grow in power as the roster grows and gets stronger further down the bench. 

One area of growth from previous coach to now: depth.  The end our bench no longer has Grant Gelons.  

.....I agree with you, but he reminds more of a Jay Edwards body and talent. His high school nickname was “Silk”. 
Man I loved watching that guy play. Jay was blessed with so much talent, unfortunately he just wanted to do things on his terms and not Coach Knight’s.

While I was attending IU in the late 80’s.....he and Lyndon Jones always seemed to show up at some of the parties I frequented. Probably because one of my best friends at the time was also good friends with the both of them. They all graduated Marion High School together...

Those were some fun times!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I heard that too. I used to really really enjoy that show but it has turned into a daily bash Archie show which is fine, if that’s the way you feel. That rant he went on that you’re talking about I just couldn’t listen anymore and I haven’t since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

That's the one that should be discussed as well. No clue who this Coyle guy is...but to allow that? Leary has made his own bed. This Coyle guy can take a hike too....and if he's on here I'll say this. Do your job better. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I heard that too. I used to really really enjoy that show but it has turned into a daily bash Archie show which is fine, if that’s the way you feel. That rant he went on that you’re talking about I just couldn’t listen anymore and I haven’t since. 

What I found funny was a few weeks ago and during an interview with Mike Decoursey.  He was trying to get Decoursey to talk bad about Archie but he didn't agree with Coyle and Coyle seemed butt hurt afterwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the one that should be discussed as well. No clue who this Coyle guy is...but to allow that? Leary has made his own bed. This Coyle guy can take a hike too....and if he's on here I'll say this. Do your job better. 

Until a few months ago I did not know who he was but found his show on YouTube.  He has some good guess and he is alright doing that but if people don't agree with his takes then he gets butt hurt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What I found funny was a few weeks ago and during an interview with Mike Decoursey.  He was trying to get Decoursey to talk bad about Archie but he didn't agree with Coyle and Coyle seemed butt hurt afterwards.

If you can listen to it via podcast I think last week when he has Matt Taylor from the colts on at the beginning of the show he didn’t realize they were live or something he said he hated covering this team or something like that because Archie has no f’n personality. 

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

If you can listen to it via podcast I think last week when he has Matt Taylor from the colts on at the beginning of the show he didn’t realize they were live or something he said he hated covering this team or something like that because Archie has no f’n personality. 

Youtube you see the off the air stuff and I heard that. If I was Dolson he would no longer had a press pass

24 minutes ago, IUskim said:

That’s asinine. Would he prefer someone like Huggins, the king of the one word answers?

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wanted to follow up on this one last time. Appears Yogi's is his main sponsor. Do with that what you want.