C.J. Gunn - 2022 committed to IU

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Looks like we finally replaced Troy Williams and he can already shoot we don't have to wait till his Junior year. Can someone explain to me why he's rated in the 140s?

I've been on CJ train for a couple years. Best guess is he was ranked in 140's because they didn't have the normal summer stuff last two years for more exposure....i.e. recruiting guys didn't see him.

I'll say the same as I said in other thread. Most underrated guy out of Indy in a long time. I'm not saying Greg Graham...but he's as close as a guy I can see but CJ has better shot and more size at same age. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been on CJ train for a couple years. Best guess is he was ranked in 140's because they didn't have the normal summer stuff last two years for more exposure....i.e. recruiting guys didn't see him.

I'll say the same as I said in other thread. Most underrated guy out of Indy in a long time. I'm not saying Greg Graham...but he's as close as a guy I can see but CJ has better shot and more size at same age. 

Hasn't he had 2 injuries the last few years as well?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hasn't he had 2 injuries the last few years as well?

Yep. Missed a chunk last two years. JHS and Malik are getting the attention and rightfully so....but Kaleb and CJ are really, really good in their own right.

They have the feeling to me of like Oladipo, Sheehey, Juwan Morgan, OG types....where they were pigeon holed way down the recruiting rankings but got to campus and never looked back. I know Kaleb is ranked in the 70's...but I actually think he's a borderline 25 type of player. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ephul said:

There's no denying this kid has a picturesque jumper.

If he can just come in a few minutes a game and knock in a few threes, we will be a MUCH better team.

He is considerably underrated as an athlete and competitor too.

He is more than a shooter. I love him coming in under the radar. He can play!

Not saying how good or under the radar C. J. is but a young man came in back in the day under rated with a stacked recruiting class. He was injured in High School   and he turned out pretty good! Not saying C. J. is as good or will be Calbert Cheaney is still 1 of the best!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

We've had a lot of flops lately in the last two classes.  Lander was obviously a bust.  Early returns on Bates and Duncomb were underwhelming.  Don't we have to get a little lucky at some point and get a diamond in the rough?

I think youre getting a little overzealous here with this post entirely. You're talking about 3 people that are/should have been freshman this past season. Lander will be a good ball player, but probably not live up the the fan created hype with the 5 star status. I dont think anyone thought Bates would be a world beater his first year. And did anyone expect Duncomb to play much if at all last year?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

6'5 with a good stroke and can create his own shot. 

He needs to bulk up and work on his D. If his defense gets better, he will be getting PT before a lot of people think. 

The bulking up works in parallel with his D improving.  He's athletic, but on the thin side.  He'd get shoved around by a top level team right now if he had any type of extended minutes. 

Give him mop-up minutes for a year while the training staff shoves ribeyes and chicken down his throat.  He'll get there. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

6'5 with a good stroke and can create his own shot. 

He needs to bulk up and work on his D. If his defense gets better, he will be getting PT before a lot of people think. 

Says he's 6'6... I assume CJ hasn't spent an awful lot of time working in the weight room. 6'6 190 lbs is easily achievable.  These are the types of frames we've been looking for on the wing, absolutely no doubt!! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Gunn, Bates, Banks, JHS, Newton….there is a type here.  Lot of switchability.  Length with quickness.  You can see what Woodson is trying to recruit.  It’s plain as day.

I think Banks is a 4. But..... I don't truly believe in positions to begin with! 

1 PG

3 wings (one that is 6'7+) 

1 rim runner/rim protector 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think Banks is a 4. But..... I don't truly believe in positions to begin with! 

1 PG

3 wings (one that is 6'7+) 

1 rim runner/rim protector 

I agree Banks is a likely a 4.  But he looks agile and can handle pretty well for a four.  On defense, I could see him switch with a 3 on D on occasion.  Malik is probably more of an old school 4 who you might not want chasing around a 2 guard.   But regardless, I can see Woody’s vision.  

I keep talking about Arkansas because I like them.  But I think we may look like them.   Their 2-4 guys have a look to the point that I can’t tell them apart in game action the way they play.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree Banks is a likely a 4.  But he looks agile and can handle pretty well for a four.  On defense, I could see him switch with a 3 on D on occasion.  Malik is probably more of an old school 4 who you might not want chasing around a 2 guard.   But regardless, I can see Woody’s vision.  

I keep talking about Arkansas because I like them.  But I think we may look like them.   Their 2-4 guys have a look to the point that I can’t tell them apart in game action the way they play.  

yuuuup!

Skill level trumps all. I think... mmm... we are getting uber close to being where we need to be talent wise. The development just has to be there now! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Says he's 6'6... I assume CJ hasn't spent an awful lot of time working in the weight room. 6'6 190 lbs is easily achievable.  These are the types of frames we've been looking for on the wing, absolutely no doubt!! 

6'6" 200 lbs...  Worked for MJ in his prime and yours truly up to age 45 or so :D

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, Seeking6 said:

Graham is the guy I was thinking about as well, but since I haven’t seen much of Gunn outside of brief highlights I didn’t know if I was way off in that. Looking forward to seeing him develop. 

• Like 1