2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The best basketball conference in the old days was the one with these schools.

New Castle

Marion

Muncie Central

Richmond

I think that was The Old North Central Conference...And it was pretty close...They both usually had a team in the Final 4...

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved that announcement. Kids seems like he knows what it means to wear Indiana across your chest 

Caught up with Gunn and his father this morning.  Here is that Q&A. https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-qa-with-new-class-of-2022-indiana-commit-c-j-gunn/

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that was The Old North Central Conference...And it was pretty close...They both usually had a team in the Final 4...

Couldn't remember the conference name but those teams were always really good

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My head football coach in HS and the guy I work under now (Reed May) was on those teams. All of that was before these MIC schools became mega HS's 2500+ 

LN starts 6'7, 6'5, 6'5... brings 6'9 off the bench. 2 of their top 8 are D1 football players, 3 of their top 8 are D1 basketball palyers, and the 6'9 kid isn't either of those lol crazy. 

True story Oden and Conley are my grade and I played against their junior high team (Craig Middle School I think) in 8th grade. We got dunked on and it wasn’t even Oden or Conley. It was some other guy that ended up playing at Valpo lol. One of my good buddies was our center (like 6’5 played baseball at Purdue and in the minors) and our first offensive possession Oden swatted it into the bleachers against him haha. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2
Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

True story Oden and Conley are my grade and I played against their junior high team (Craig Middle School I think) in 8th grade. We got dunked on and it wasn’t even Oden or Conley. It was some other guy that ended up playing at Valpo lol. Unreal. 

Oden was not good in 6th grade lol goofy and clumsy. What he could do defensively is something you cannot measure though. 

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I played against Muncie Central, New Castle and Richmond. It was the toughest conference by a long shot.

I don't know...

Jeffersonville was always good...Franklin went to 2 Final 4s in 73-74...Connersville won it all in 72...Rushville had a final 4 team in 76...Martinsville only lost I think 3 games my senior year, and couldn't get out of the regional...

Both were great conferences...

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

We were in the Muncie Sectional and the New Castle Regional. 

My school won that sectional in 1958 and the next one was my sophomore year in 1987.  You look up in the rafters at their sectional banners and New Castle won it like 20 out of 23 years in one stretch

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...

Jeffersonville was always good...Franklin went to 2 Final 4s in 73-74...Connersville won it all in 72...Rushville had a final 4 team in 76...Martinsville only lost I think 3 games my senior year, and couldn't get out of the regional...

We played Rushville in 1976 and it was a great game.

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...

Back in the day probably through the 80's the NCC was the premier conference. It seems to me that that conference had won more state titles than any other conference. Muncie had won 5 or more.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My school won that sectional in 1958 and the next one was my sophomore year in 1987.  You look up in the rafters at their sectional banners and New Castle won it like 20 out of 23 years in one stretch

We won the Muncie Sectional in 72. We were the first non city (Muncie) to win the Muncie Sectional. We beat #4 ranked Muncie Central and then went the New Castle Regional beating #1 ranked New Castle before losing the next time to highly rated Richmond.  I always believed that if we would of beaten Richmond we would of won it all. Coulda, woulda, shoulda! LOL

Scott, what high school did you attend?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I really don't think so. Both sports combined... top to bottom. All public schools, especially. 

Conference vs conference.  Not sure how many allow 1 or 2 private schools in with the public's anyways.  You know what florida and texas schools would do?  Rattle off their scholarships football players.  For a more northern state, Indiana has a nice balance of strength with bball and football but the sheer numbers in some of these population centers is dramatically more than Indy if we are non biased.  I'd give Dallas Ft Worth a look, which this June driving through there was like running up 69 from 465 to Fishers.  Brand new everything everywhere.  Housing complexes, everywhere, new schools being built.  It literally went on line that for an hour straight and I was driving 80+ mph the entire stretch.  Houston @Hoosierhoopster can chime in on quality.  Jacksonville miami tampa Atlanta, would rock our world in football depth.  Depends on how you weight it I guess.  

would be fun for someone to try and rank them.  I give MIC most likely strongest in bball.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Conference vs conference.  Not sure how many allow 1 or 2 private schools in with the public's anyways.  You know what florida and texas schools would do?  Rattle off their scholarships football players.  For a more northern state, Indiana has a nice balance of strength with bball and football but the sheer numbers in some of these population centers is dramatically more than Indy if we are non biased.  I'd give Dallas Ft Worth a look, which this June driving through there was like running up 69 from 465 to Fishers.  Brand new everything everywhere.  Housing complexes, everywhere, new schools being built.  It literally went on line that for an hour straight and I was driving 80+ mph the entire stretch.  Houston @Hoosierhoopster can chime in on quality.  Jacksonville miami tampa Atlanta, would rock our world in football depth.  Depends on how you weight it I guess.  

would be fun for someone to try and rank them.  I give MIC most likely strongest in bball.  

I'm talking about a true conference. The top 4 in the MIC do not get whipped by any top 4 in another conference in football. Won't happen. Not whipped, absolutely not. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

We won the Muncie Sectional in 72. We were the first non city (Muncie) to win the Muncie Sectional. We beat #4 ranked Muncie Central and then went the New Castle Regional beating #1 ranked New Castle before losing the next time to highly rated Richmond.  I always believed that if we would of beaten Richmond we would of won it all. Coulda, woulda, shoulda! LOL

Knightstown

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Which school did you attend

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm talking about a true conference. The top 4 in the MIC do not get whipped by any top 4 in another conference in football. Won't happen. Not whipped, absolutely not. 

Yes I thought we we're both talking about high school sports conferences.  I don't want to hijack this kid's thread any longer it'd be fun to go through the top 300 and top 100 and see if anybody lines up and same the same conferences that would be a starting point.

Not sure did I say whipped?

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yes I thought we we're both talking about high school sports conferences.  I don't want to hijack this kid's thread any longer it'd be fun to go through the top 300 and top 100 and see if anybody lines up and same the same conferences that would be a starting point.

Not sure did I say whipped?

Rock our world. No one rocks the MICs world. Especially not the top 5. Difference is.. ATL and Miami and Houston have 2 or 3 conferences that can half way compare to the MIC. 

But yes.. it seems early indication is CJ Gunn will be a Hoosier. The football in me hopes he and McCulley influence Cooper.  

• Thanks 1
  • bluegrassIU changed the title to C.J. Gunn - 2022 committed to IU