C.J. Gunn - 2022 committed to IU

I also have been watching these high school games on ESPU where it is the prep schools or those basketball factories.  there are a lot of top recruits in these games and even most of them I have not come away being really impressed with their games.  Like I said when I have seen players like Alford, Robinson, Henderson, Gordon, Oden, Conley i might be spoiled.  These kids today just don't dominate these games like I thought top recruits should.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I also have been watching these high school games on ESPU where it is the prep schools or those basketball factories.  there are a lot of top recruits in these games and even most of them I have not come away being really impressed with their games.  Like I said when I have seen players like Alford, Robinson, Henderson, Gordon, Oden, Conley i might be spoiled.  These kids today just don't dominate these games like I thought top recruits should.

Romeo Langford avged like 34 a game his SR year.  Trey Kaufman avged 26p 10r as a JR on a team with 2 other D1 recruits.  Deshaun Thomas? Kyle Guy 24p 6r 4a 

Caleb Swanigan dominated HS basketball.  So did all 3 Zellers.. Yogi? Trevon Bluiett? TJD? 

Edited by btownqb

30 minutes ago, cybergates said:

He's "only" 101 in 247 composite, so while a 4* good get for IU, not sure there should be expectations of dominance as a HS junior on a team with other talented players. 

The Composite has felt broken for a while. I don't know the inputs or how they're weighted, but there's either garbage in or garbage coming out. That's a general statement across the board, not specific to any one recruit.

As for Gunn, he's ranked 125 by 247's own service. At Rivals he ranks 148. Both have him rated as a three star. I'm glad one of the best prospects in the state is still interested in playing for Indiana, and Armaan has been outplaying a similar ranking for much of the year, but I confess I'm not sure how I feel about yet another sub-100 wing. We've taken one or two in every class.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

The Composite has felt broken for a while. I don't know the inputs or how they're weighted, but there's either garbage in or garbage coming out. That's a general statement across the board, not specific to any one recruit.

As for Gunn, he's ranked 125 by 247's own service. At Rivals he ranks 148. Both have him rated as a three star. I'm glad one of the best prospects in the state is still interested in playing for Indiana, and Armaan has been outplaying a similar ranking for much of the year, but I confess I'm not sure how I feel about yet another sub-100 wing. We've taken one or two in every class.

You don't out play a ranking. That is not a thing. I'm sorry, but absolutely absurd to still believe that ranking next to a name on a recruiting site holds any sort of bearing when they get on a college campus. Armaan isn't out playing a damn thing, he is just that good and works THAT hard. 

https://247sports.com/player/matt-howard-63605/ 

https://247sports.com/Player/Gordon-Hayward-60420/high-school-105252/

https://247sports.com/Player/Shelvin-Mack-60424/high-school-105263/

https://247sports.com/player/luka-garza-84266/

https://247sports.com/Player/Ja-Morant-46035335/high-school-183728/

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Carr-86079/high-school-151360/

I could go on and on and on with these. I could also find PLENTY of examples of top 50 busts. Putting a cap on someone's talent/ability/upside because they are a "sub 100 wing" is very concerning. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You don't out play a ranking. That is not a thing. I'm sorry, but absolutely absurd to still believe that ranking next to a name on a recruiting site holds any sort of bearing when they get on a college campus. Armaan isn't out playing a damn thing, he is just that good and works THAT hard. 

https://247sports.com/player/matt-howard-63605/ 

https://247sports.com/Player/Gordon-Hayward-60420/high-school-105252/

https://247sports.com/Player/Shelvin-Mack-60424/high-school-105263/

https://247sports.com/player/luka-garza-84266/

https://247sports.com/Player/Ja-Morant-46035335/high-school-183728/

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Carr-86079/high-school-151360/

I could go on and on and on with these. I could also find PLENTY of examples of top 50 busts. Putting a cap on someone's talent/ability/upside because they are a "sub 100 wing" is very concerning. 

Thank you for providing examples of guys who outplayed their ranking to prove there's no such thing as outplaying your ranking. :)

I don't use "sub 100 wing" as a cap. Scout rankings and ratings are not determinant, they are just a projection. Players fall short of and exceed projections at all levels of the game. But it's still a useful shorthand, a means to reference at least some opinion as to what caliber of player we have on the roster. Scouting services miss, just as coaches paid millions to get this right sometimes miss, when they bring in guys that don't pan out.

All things being equal, I'd rather go into a season with a roster of top 75 guys, over one with guys all ranked 150+, no?

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Thank you for providing examples of guys who outplayed their ranking to prove there's no such thing as outplaying your ranking. :)

I don't use "sub 100 wing" as a cap. Scout rankings and ratings are not determinant, they are just a projection. Players fall short of and exceed projections at all levels of the game. But it's still a useful shorthand, a means to reference at least some opinion as to what caliber of player we have on the roster. Scouting services miss, just as coaches paid millions to get this right sometimes miss, when they bring in guys that don't pan out.

All things being equal, I'd rather go into a season with a roster of top 75 guys, over one with guys all ranked 150+, no?

Nah.. rankings are just simply irrelevant when you step on a college campus, if they ever mattered at all. 2 of the guys I wrote in there were lottery picks after 2 years lol ... and I forgot to put Paul George, he'd make three guys after two years in college were lotto picks. Recruiting services are a waste of time to look at. Watch the film. 

Idc where anyone is ranked. I want to go into a season with a well balanced, tough minded, guard oriented team. We are tough... we aren't guard oriented and we aren't well balanced. As far as talent goes, we are a player short on talent and it's not at the wing position. 

I apologize for derailing the thread. I'll never agree that a recruits ranking matters whatsoever. Flat out.. if this team had a PG who could play... we are in a different position than we are now. I think Lander is going to be really good, but I knew he wasn't the answer THIS season. I watched too much film on him from his HS games. His ranking was absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

Nah.. rankings are just simply irrelevant when you step on a college campus, if they ever mattered at all. 2 of the guys I wrote in there were lottery picks after 2 years lol ... and I forgot to put Paul George, he'd make three guys after two years in college were lotto picks. Recruiting services are a waste of time to look at. Watch the film. 

Idc where anyone is ranked. I want to go into a season with a well balanced, tough minded, guard oriented team. We are tough... we aren't guard oriented and we aren't well balanced. As far as talent goes, we are a player short on talent and it's not at the wing position. 

Well I like the kid but he didn’t pop on tape. Imo he looks like a mid 100s recruit because he didn’t even look like the best kid on the floor many nights. Now...he is playing some of the best competition in the state...I’m just not seeing a future Mr Basketball on tape from what I’ve seen. Maybe he will be a late bloomer and that’s just fine but I think his video shows a guy that will take some time to make his Mark not someone that should come right in and help. If he is like Armaan that is great...he is on a good upward trend but IU needs more TJD and Romeo caliber players...someone that can step on the floor right away and be an impact player. If we want to win the conference we need a few all conference kids not just solid starters. 

11 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

"We need Indiana kids."

"We have to recruit Indiana"

"Close the borders"

We are most likely getting an Indiana kid and now it seems people are saying he isn't good enough. Labeled me confused.

I personally am excited to get this kid at IU and having him commit early is even more of a plus in my eyes

I am excited also. Hope we can land some big out of state talent as well. Need to open up some other recruiting areas. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Lot to make up from the 21 class. The talent is out there both in and out of state. Hopefully Gunn will start a positive domino fall for our recruiting. 

Part of the 21 class was made up with Stewart.  I’m sure they’ll consider one more transfer too.   And hopefully Brunk comes back. 

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

"We need Indiana kids."

"Close the borders"

We are most likely getting an Indiana kid and now it seems people are saying he isn't good enough. Labeled me confused.

I personally am excited to get this kid at IU and having him commit early is even more of a plus in my eyes

EXACTLY what I was thinking. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

"We need Indiana kids."

"Close the borders"

Speaking personally, I've never much cared where a kid is from once they put on the jersey. It didn't matter to me when AJ Moye blocked Carlos Boozer, when DJ White was B10 POY, when Vic was dunking all over the Big Ten, or when OG blocks led to Thomas Bryant dunks against Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. Talent is talent, you don't get bonus points for where you played high school ball.

Locking down the state is something you only hear when Indiana isn't winning, and fans can see players from the state having success elsewhere. It isn't a guarantor of team success, nor is being from the state sufficient assurance that any particular player will be able to contribute at the Big Ten level. Each year, only a handful of the thousands of Indiana kids will even get an offer from IU. The question isn't where Gunn is from, it's whether he can contribute to a winning team.

• Like 6

On 1/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, btownqb said:

I apologize for derailing the thread. I'll never agree that a recruits ranking matters whatsoever. Flat out.. if this team had a PG who could play... we are in a different position than we are now. I think Lander is going to be really good, but I knew he wasn't the answer THIS season. I watched too much film on him from his HS games. His ranking was absolutely ridiculous. 

What do you think he should have been ranked? Top 50...75...100? 

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Speaking personally, I've never much cared where a kid is from once they put on the jersey. It didn't matter to me when AJ Moye blocked Carlos Boozer, when DJ White was B10 POY, when Vic was dunking all over the Big Ten, or when OG blocks led to Thomas Bryant dunks against Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. Talent is talent, you don't get bonus points for where you played high school ball.

Locking down the state is something you only hear when Indiana isn't winning, and fans can see players from the state having success elsewhere. It isn't a guarantor of team success, nor is being from the state sufficient assurance that any particular player will be able to contribute at the Big Ten level. Each year, only a handful of the thousands of Indiana kids will even get an offer from IU. The question isn't where Gunn is from, it's whether he can contribute to a winning team.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, but just stating what some people on this board have said. Archie has got Indiana kids and now people are saying he isn't good enough.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I am not disagreeing with you at all, but just stating what some people on this board have said. Archie has got Indiana kids and now people are saying he isn't good enough.

I’ve never said he wasn’t good enough, I just said he doesn’t jump out at you when watching.  Not every recruit needs to be a star.  The right roles players are as important as your star.  Not saying Gunn is or isn’t going to be a star. I love getting Indiana kids, that’s what I’ve missed most over the past coaches tenure.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve never said he wasn’t good enough, I just said he doesn’t jump out at you when watching.  Not every recruit needs to be a star.  The right roles players are as important as your star.  Not saying Gunn is or isn’t going to be a star. I love getting Indiana kids, that’s what I’ve missed most over the past coaches tenure.

Steve Eyl, Wayne Radford, Jim Crews, Jim Thomas and Joe Hillman. IUwins hit the nail on the head!

• Like 1