Calbert Cheaney's legacy lives on.....

7 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Calbert is one of my favorite IU players ever. Still bugs the crap out of me that he didn't get to hang a banner for us. 

Bob Knight missed 2 golden opportunities in his career in 1975 and 1993. He could've been a 5-time champion, and maybe he could've become even a bigger monster. 

6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Bob Knight missed 2 golden opportunities in his career in 1975 and 1993. He could've been a 5-time champion, and maybe he could've become even a bigger monster. 

I am sure thereis but i cant think of any team winning the championship after losing a player the caliber of a Scott May or Alan Henderson that late in the year.  IU was still able to make deep run despite losing those players

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

How about '74, '80,  and '92?  And we could debate about '89. As well as '91.

47 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Wasn't Cheaney on Crean's staff? If so, why did he end up leaving? 

I loved Cheaney and the teams he played on. I watched the IU-UCLA Regional Final game last week. Hopefully teams and talent like that will be back at Indiana soon. 

Cheaney was in charge of internal and external player development at IU, for a couple of years while Crean was HC.  Calbert left to become an assistant for Jim Crews at St.Louis University.

I had gotten word that Calbert did not care much for Crean's systems, which was the primary reason he left for St. Louis. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Cheaney was in charge of internal and external player development at IU, for a couple of years while Crean was HC.  Calbert left to become an assistant for Jim Crews at St.Louis University.

I had gotten word that Calbert did not care much for Crean's systems, which was the primary reason he left for St. Louis. 

I can certainly understand that. I hated Crean's whole coaching style. Thank you for information my friend.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am sure thereis but i cant think of any team winning the championship after losing a player the caliber of a Scott May or Alan Henderson that late in the year.  IU was still able to make deep run despite losing those players

So true. What I said was based on 'what if' scenario. I remember it was said (I don't remember who) '75 team was better than '76 team. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

How about '74, '80,  and '92?  And we could debate about '89. As well as '91.

I'm guessing you meant '73 rather than '74.  The '73 team was the team that lost to UCLA in the final four after what should have been Walton's 5th foul was instead called on Downing, who ended up fouling out.  The '74 team tied for first in the Big Ten, but Michigan got the conference's only tournament berth.

53 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

So true. What I said was based on 'what if' scenario. I remember it was said (I don't remember who) '75 team was better than '76 team. 

I no. I was saying how good that team was that after losing a great player they still made long run.  I also was wondering if any team has won it all after losing an all American 

5 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

I'm guessing you meant '73 rather than '74.  The '73 team was the team that lost to UCLA in the final four after what should have been Walton's 5th foul was instead called on Downing, who ended up fouling out.  The '74 team tied for first in the Big Ten, but Michigan got the conference's only tournament berth.

Look up that '74 team.

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I no. I was saying how good that team was that after losing a great player they still made long run.  I also was wondering if any team has won it all after losing an all American 

Don't know the answer but I bet UCLA might be involved.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Look up that '74 team.

I agree. The '74 team was essentially identical to the '75 team that was so dominant. The '74 team had all the pieces in place. But for blowing a big lead when they played at Michigan (and losing the playoff game with Michigan for the tourney spot), that team had a real chance to make a championship run. But, again, what if, what if.

Archived