Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

To my surprise I couldn't find a thread for Gibbs-Lawhorn.  Feel free to merge if I missed it.  In my opinion the No. 1 PG in-state in 2023, probably by a wide margin.

Talked to him yesterday:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
To my surprise I couldn't find a thread for Gibbs-Lawhorn.  Feel free to merge if I missed it.  In my opinion the No. 1 PG in-state in 2023, probably by a wide margin.

Talked to him yesterday:

So Braden and Thornton in 22 and this one in 23. Or shoot should we start asking about reclassifying? Haha....obviously Archie is certain to never have our PG position short on talent. 

• Thanks 1

First I’ve heard of this kid. He is really well spoken in the interview for a 15 year old kid. Regarding his answer on who he grew up rooting for IU or Purdue - really smart answer. He was in a tough spot - if he says one or the other that team’s fanbase would pencil him into the scholarship grid and the other team’s fanbase would cross him off the list.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here are from highlights from the Smith / Gibbs-Lawhorn matchup yesterday at Westfield too.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/video-watch-braden-smith-2022-and-dra-gibbs-lawhorn-2023-go-head-to-head/

Smith and Gibbs-Lawhorn both look really good to me. Nice thing about the video is that it is not just a highlight video - 12 minute video includes mistakes/missed shots. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good video. That would have been a fun matchup to watch.  Both players look really, really good.  Thanks for posting that.  

Was a good video. Wish they guarded each other more. Lawhorn has pretty elite speed. Has more Lander then Phinisee to his game. That said it was pretty disappointing to not see them force him to his left. Clearly he can get to the rim that way but usually a cross over and then back to his right. Smith looked the part of a pg. nice ability on pick n roll to find his roller and definitely strong with both hands. Elite shooter that kid. We could use that. I see he has grown but still think he could use more size to help him with his athleticism. They definitely have room to improve. Be interesting to watch over the next couple years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good video. That would have been a fun matchup to watch.  Both players look really, really good.  Thanks for posting that.  

It was one of the more competitive AAU games that I have watched recently, especially for tipping at around 9 AM.  Both teams were playing some defense and making hustle plays.

Fun little IU related tidbit -- No. 22 on the Indiana Elite team is Stu Robinson's son.  Talked to Stu and his son yesterday.  Amir Robinson is just an incoming sophomore but he is built like a Big Ten linebacker.  

Stu and Mike Roberts were on Knight's staff together at Texas Tech, so that recruitment, if it evolves, will be handled between those two. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm intrigued to say the least. I love players who have the intelligence to match their physical gifts and this young man has it all.  I keep going back to Nojel's post-Michigan announcement (and I know I'm picking on the kid, but wow...) night and day difference in intelligence. This young man heading into his sophomore year sounds considerably more intelligent than Nojel after three years of college.  I think that's the secret ingredient here between going nowhere like Nojel was doing to major improvement like Victor Oladipo made in his time at IU.  Desire is one thing but I think intelligence plays a major role in development and that bodes well for Dra.  He sounds like a smart kid and I see him making huge leaps in development  as a result.

Justin Smith is the counter to my argument although I would argue that he did grow his game...just not like I'd expect someone with his level of intelligence should. Makes me wonder if he simply didn't push himself like he should have.

That aside, I see huge potential in Dra much like I see with Kristian Lander.  I hope he keeps the pedal down and reaches that potential. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

It was one of the more competitive AAU games that I have watched recently, especially for tipping at around 9 AM.  Both teams were playing some defense and making hustle plays.

Fun little IU related tidbit -- No. 22 on the Indiana Elite team is Stu Robinson's son.  Talked to Stu and his son yesterday.  Amir Robinson is just an incoming sophomore but he is built like a Big Ten linebacker.  

Stu and Mike Roberts were on Knight's staff together at Texas Tech, so that recruitment, if it evolves, will be handled between those two. 

Where is Stu now a days? I seen he was at RMK's return .

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm intrigued to say the least. I love players who have the intelligence to match their physical gifts and this young man has it all.  I keep going back to Nojel's post-Michigan announcement (and I know I'm picking on the kid, but wow...) night and day difference in intelligence. This young man heading into his sophomore year sounds considerably more intelligent than Nojel after three years of college.  I think that's the secret ingredient here between going nowhere like Nojel was doing to major improvement like Victor Oladipo made in his time at IU.  Desire is one thing but I think intelligence plays a major role in development and that bodes well for Dra.  He sounds like a smart kid and I see him making huge leaps in development  as a result.

Justin Smith is the counter to my argument although I would argue that he did grow his game...just not like I'd expect someone with his level of intelligence should. Makes me wonder if he simply didn't push himself like he should have.

That aside, I see huge potential in Dra much like I see with Kristian Lander.  I hope he keeps the pedal down and reaches that potential. 

Why bring Nojel into a conversation that has zero to do with him? The guy isn’t the most intelligent guy ever but he’s also not an idiot. Nojel’s downfall wasn’t because of lack of intelligence. His downfall was letting his mom run the show.  Lack of maturity no question but he’s not dumb. Seems like a beating a dead horse situation at this point. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why bring Nojel into a conversation that has zero to do with him? The guy isn’t the most intelligent guy ever but he’s also not an idiot. Nojel’s downfall wasn’t because of lack of intelligence. His downfall was letting his mom run the show.  Lack of maturity no question but he’s not dumb. Seems like a beating a dead horse situation at this point. 

He's a great contrast to this kid.  I get why you don't like the comparison and I'll confess that I secretly enjoy drawing you out by jabbing your beloved boilermakers, but I'm genuinely surprised at Nojel's grammar/spelling/sentence construction after three years at Purdue. I don't expect you to agree, but it seems like he should have had some remediation before this point and I question how he's maintained eligibility thus far.  At the very least, there appears to be a very wide gap in academic rigor between Nojel's chosen major and the more challenging majors at Purdue.  I'm not calling him an idiot as I see this more as a lack of fundamentals rather than an IQ test.  It's not all on Purdue, but the last three years are.  This young man is not being prepared for life after basketball.  I would tell you without hesitation that McCutcheon has done a much better job with Dra than Nojel's high school did for him so, yeah...they share the blame.  Nojel just strikes me as a kid who's been shoved through the system because he could play basketball, which is sad for him, frankly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I want smith to be a Hoosier. We play them during the season. Dudes a stud, winner, and has that I’ll kick your ass attitude that’s not arrogant. Whomever mentioned Coverdale earlier...bingo. Minus the Budweiser 😂

Sounds like your old style IU player who would be a fan favorite.

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

I want smith to be a Hoosier. We play them during the season. Dudes a stud, winner, and has that I’ll kick your ass attitude that’s not arrogant. Whomever mentioned Coverdale earlier...bingo. Minus the Budweiser 😂

Things I noticed on Saturday - he talks constantly in a good way, he helps the opponents up off the floor, he will go and clean up sweat off the floor.  He is just 100 percent engaged in every aspect.  From a basketball standpoint his court vision is off the charts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

"Beating a dead horse" is one of our strengths.😀

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I still think the reason we lost to Maryland is because it was the 1st game in at least 6 years he played sober. 🤣🍻

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

On 8/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, The Daily Hoosier said:

Do you expect an IU offer soon? Am hoping we get out early and strong on him and Hooks..