Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

47 minutes ago, cybergates said:

SIAP Sounds like he would commit on the spot to a fUK offer...

The Cats also seem well-positioned for the No. 2 point guard in the 2023 class: Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn, a 6-foot playmaker from Lafayette, Ind., and the No. 9 overall player in the class.

247Sports profiled Gibbs-Lawhorn late last week. He already holds scholarship offers from Indiana and Purdue, but he mentioned Kentucky as a “dream school” and says he’s been in recent contact with new UK assistant coach Bruiser Flint, who was previously at Indiana.

“They said it was just an introduction and they want to reach out to me more and whenever I can, to come on a visit,” Gibbs-Lawhorn told 247Sports. “They’re like my dream school, if I got an offer from Kentucky I’d probably start crying, not going to lie. Just growing up as a kid, Kentucky was always looked at as a higher basketball program who always got their players drafted and one and done out of high school. My goal is the NBA, and I feel like Kentucky can lead me to that.”

https://www.kentucky.com/article247610530.html

Screenshot_20210104-085422.thumb.png.ddff895506bf304ebde515fbb5a26b6c.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

SIAP Sounds like he would commit on the spot to a fUK offer...

The Cats also seem well-positioned for the No. 2 point guard in the 2023 class: Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn, a 6-foot playmaker from Lafayette, Ind., and the No. 9 overall player in the class.

247Sports profiled Gibbs-Lawhorn late last week. He already holds scholarship offers from Indiana and Purdue, but he mentioned Kentucky as a “dream school” and says he’s been in recent contact with new UK assistant coach Bruiser Flint, who was previously at Indiana.

“They said it was just an introduction and they want to reach out to me more and whenever I can, to come on a visit,” Gibbs-Lawhorn told 247Sports. “They’re like my dream school, if I got an offer from Kentucky I’d probably start crying, not going to lie. Just growing up as a kid, Kentucky was always looked at as a higher basketball program who always got their players drafted and one and done out of high school. My goal is the NBA, and I feel like Kentucky can lead me to that.”

https://www.kentucky.com/article247610530.html

Cal is still fooling this kids with is sales pitch

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He is doing us a solid.  Put resources elsewhere.  It is not about any one player.  Knowing we need to move on is a victory.  

That's where I'm at. I'd rather a kid tell us very early on don't bother...instead of us spending time and resources only to have the rug pulled at the end. That strategy was perfected by Bubbles at Illinois. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless something changes I don't see Cal going another 2 full seasons down in the Bluegrass. Might be wise to keep saying hello to this kid off and on regardless of his dream school offer. 

Think that will be a decision he makes himself or one that’s made for him?

I think it’s worth keeping in contact regardless. You never know what will happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Think that will be a decision he makes himself or one that’s made for him?

I think it’s worth keeping in contact regardless. You never know what will happen. 

Not sure honestly. 10 years in that pressure cooker would make anyone look at taking a year off and evaluate the rest of his life plans. If he was still bringing in the Wall/Davis,etc...type kids he'd stay forever. Problem is Cal has been exposed going on a few years now. Last Final 4/Title was 6 seasons ago I believe?  Very good. Just not Kentucky very good expectations. 

Like you said you never know what will happen. Always good to keep in touch with kids.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He's the top ranked player from Indiana in the class of 2023 and IU's first offer in the class. But an injury and a move have taken him off the radar a bit. Here's the latest on elite point guard Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/2023-5-star-point-guard-dra-gibbs-lawhorn-enjoying-life-in-utah-as-return-to-basketball-nears/

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

His recruitment started under Archie if I'm not mistaken 

If you look at the the three guards that have signed under the new staff there's a difference in physicality. Take Lander and this young man and then look at Bates, Schifino and Newton. I think we'll trend towards 6'4"+ 200lb guards with the length to guard 3 positions, rebound and bang in the paint. 

IU's had a lot of great small guards that don't fit this description but I think that it would have to be a pretty special guy to catch the current staffs attention if they are of the Lander mold. 

9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I thought Fears was the priority anyway? We certainly don’t need both but would love to have either 

I don’t think there is a priority. The staff is high on Fears, Little, and Cupps. Cupps and Little are most likely at this point. They’re keeping tabs Gibbs-Lawhorn because he got an IU offer under Archie then got hurt. Woodson and company still want to see him play to get a real evaluation for themselves. 

• Like 1