Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Amazing, how many continue to engage PUke boy.

Why would anyone carry on  with anyone who is PUke first and foremost? 
I say it tongue in cheek but, who cares? Who cares on here? What Hoosier fan cares anything about what goes on in W Lafayette?

it’s like some have forgotten that PUke boy has buried IU on G&B. 
So tired of the “ but he’s been respectful and is comparatively a good guy “ rhetoric. 

Get the ND reversible jacket out?

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So sad that others tolerate you. My goal is to make you unwelcome here. No Purdue fan should be welcome here. Speaks to the weakness of the board.

I will find those comments once I find my hazmat suit so I feel comfortable going back to G&B.

Come on... It's entertaining to see our resident PUkes progressing through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance... Although most seem stuck between 1, 2, and 3).

Not nearly as entertaining as G&B Illustrated, but still...

Over there, the gnashing of teeth centers around the NIL and the evils it has wrought on college sports. One poster even suggested Purdue and other "like minded" schools (read: NIL ignoring fools) getting together and forming a separate version of the NCAA with no NIL nonsense allowed... Who would they recruit to that? Luke Brown's high school backup? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on... It's entertaining to see our resident PUkes progressing through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance... Although most seem stuck between 1, 2, and 3).

Over there, the gnashing of teeth centers around the NIL and the evils it has wrought on college sports. One poster even suggested Purdue and other "like minded" schools (read: NIL ignoring fools) getting together and forming a separate version of the NCAA with no NIL nonsense allowed... Who would they recruit to that? Luke Brown's high school backup? 

I rarely go to other boards. This last paragraph is pretty much the reason. That's some scary stuff. I was curious about Izzo though because DGL and Fears have some history too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who would they recruit to that? Luke Brown's high school backup? 

You brought it up and now I'm really fighting the temptation to bump the Luke Brown thread back to the front page of the board.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I rarely go to other boards. This last paragraph is pretty much the reason. That's some scary stuff. I was curious about Izzo though because DGL and Fears have some history too. 

One of the more interesting thoughts over there (and believe me, separating the wheat from the chaff over there is a full time job) is that if Purdue is going to drag its feet on NIL and not allow Painter to get even modestly rated recruits, why would he stick around? 

Remember, Mizzou all but had him locked up a few years back until Purdue gave him a nice raise... But money aside, if he can't get the talent required to at least compete, what's the use? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It would be akin to a minor league.  A NIL free league wouldn't be able to compete with the schools that use NIL but I'm sure there are some people that value a free education.

If you weren't good enough to make an NIL team, a free education is still better than nothing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

It would be akin to a minor league.  A NIL free league wouldn't be able to compete with the schools that use NIL but I'm sure there are some people that value a free education.

If you weren't good enough to make an NIL team, a free education is still better than nothing.

True, but who's going to watch that product? I'd imagine die hard fans of a particular school might, but revenue would be hard to come by I'd think... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

One of the more interesting thoughts over there (and believe me, separating the wheat from the chaff over there is a full time job) is that if Purdue is going to drag its feet on NIL and not allow Painter to get even modestly rated recruits, why would he stick around? 

Remember, Mizzou all but had him locked up a few years back until Purdue gave him a nice raise... But money aside, if he can't get the talent required to at least compete, what's the use? 

I imagine it is only a matter of time before a SEC school comes knockin' on Painter's front door.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True, but who's going to watch that product? I'd imagine die hard fans of a particular school might, but revenue would be hard to come by I'd think... 

It's not much different than people watching college basketball when players in the NBA are better players.  I think people would still root for their school even if they were in the G League of college basketball.

If IU was a non-NIL school and decided to only play other non-nil schools, I would still watch when i can.  If they weren't on tv anymore, then it would definitely make that harder though.  They would lose some fans but there are also fans that would appreciate that their school was not just a minor league of paid players.

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

It's not much different than people watching college basketball when players in the NBA are better players.  I think people would still root for their school even if they were in the G League of college basketball.

If IU was a non-NIL school and decided to only play other non-nil schools, I would still watch when i can.  If they weren't on tv anymore, then it would definitely make that harder though.  They would lose some fans but there are also fans that would appreciate that their school was not just a minor league of paid players.

I understand what you're saying...

I guess I just go back to the original thought of "what is the quality of product you're putting on the floor?"

I'd think most all kids would want to get paid something, and I'm sure the number of schools who are down with NIL and even want to help the student athletes gain opportunities would greatly outweigh the schools that don't want to participate in NIL. Like I said, Luke Brown's high school backup...

I'm not sure what the problem with NIL is in the first place. A kid should be able to make money off his name, image, or likeness. And it's not like every kid is going to get these million dollar deals. The deal our kids just got through the "Hoosier's for Good" deals equates to a little under $40K per year per kid (although @The Daily Hoosier makes it clear that the "allocations are not made equally, but instead based on factors such as a particular student athlete’s reach and ability to impact their charity.")

And that's just a baseline. An entrepreneurial kid can make a nice living through social media, jersey sales, ECT... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think we’ll be fine re NIL tbh. The Pack situation was a pretty big wake-up call. We are just late to the game on it. We just named the board of directors for the  NIL alliance and I’d expect us to be solid moving forward. Just a year late lol. 

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying...

I guess I just go back to the original thought of "what is the quality of product you're putting on the floor?"

I'd think most all kids would want to get paid something, and I'm sure the number of schools who are down with NIL and even want to help the student athletes gain opportunities would greatly outweigh the schools that don't want to participate in NIL. Like I said, Luke Brown's high school backup...

I'm not sure what the problem with NIL is in the first place. A kid should be able to make money off his name, image, or likeness. And it's not like every kid is going to get these million dollar deals. The deal our kids just got through the "Hoosier's for Good" deals equates to a little under $40K per year per kid (although @The Daily Hoosier makes it clear that the "allocations are not made equally, but instead based on factors such as a particular student athlete’s reach and ability to impact their charity.")

And that's just a baseline. An entrepreneurial kid can make a nice living through social media, jersey sales, ECT... 

This is paying the players to play their sport and thus it is now pretty much a professional league using the schools. At this point shouldn't we just have a college draft instead and make the teams as even as we can make them?

Without the schools, how much would these kids name, image and likeness be worth?  I wouldn't care about any of our players if they didn't play for us (outside of the baseline caring about other human beings in general).

Edited by iuswingman

44 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

This is paying the players to play their sport and thus it is now pretty much a professional league using the schools. At this point shouldn't we just have a college draft instead and make the teams as even as we can make them?

Without the schools, how much would these kids name, image and likeness be worth?  I wouldn't care about any of our players if they didn't play for us (outside of the baseline caring about other human beings in general).

Without the players how much is the school gonna make?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Until someone (NCAA, state or federal governments) put more clarification out regarding the rules, certainly there will be teams that operate in the "gray area." But it's been that way forever.

And while I understand your statement about the schools making the players ( @IU Scott makes that case all the time), the genesis of all of this is O'Bannon vs NCAA. How would you like to be playing a video game where an exact likeness of you is used, EA Sports and the NCAA are making millions off of, and you're not getting a dime? In the 30 for 30 about the Fab Five, they talked about Chris Weber going through UM's bookstore and seeing jerseys with his name on them being sold for $100, and he got none of that.

I think there is a fair and equitable solution for both sides, but we're not there yet... And until we see how this all shakes out, there won't be...

But not participating isn't the way to go right now... Not unless we want the early Crean days back... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1