Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Until someone (NCAA, state or federal governments) put more clarification out regarding the rules, certainly there will be teams that operate in the "gray area." But it's been that way forever.

And while I understand your statement about the schools making the players ( @IU Scott makes that case all the time), the genesis of all of this is O'Bannon vs NCAA. How would you like to be playing a video game where an exact likeness of you is used, EA Sports and the NCAA are making millions off of, and you're not getting a dime? In the 30 for 30 about the Fab Five, they talked about Chris Weber going through UM's bookstore and seeing jerseys with his name on them being sold for $100, and he got none of that.

I think there is a fair and equitable solution for both sides, but we're not there yet... And until we see how this all shakes out, there won't be...

But not participating isn't the way to go right now... Not unless we want the early Crean days back... 

Personally I wouldn't have cared if the video games didn't try to make likenesses of real players.  Plus, exact likeness is being a little too kind.   Back when college games were coming out, it was more general likeness than anything.

I would have been just fine if the players were all randomized.  I mainly played dynasty mode so after 4-5 years, the players were all randomized anyway.

I think the crazy part is selling the jersey for $100, not the player not getting a cut.   Even more crazy is how much coaches are raking in.  Highest paid public employee in every state is more than likely a head coach.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Personally I wouldn't have cared if the video games didn't try to make likenesses of real players.  Plus, exact likeness is being a little too kind.   Back when college games were coming out, it was more general likeness than anything.

I would have been just fine if the players were all randomized.  I mainly played dynasty mode so after 4-5 years, the players were all randomized anyway.

I think the crazy part is selling the jersey for $100, not the player not getting a cut.   Even more crazy is how much coaches are raking in.  Highest paid public employee in every state is more than likely a head coach.

I don't know, looks pretty close to me...

Screenshot_20220804-134911.thumb.png.6586a118805d3f7641b3ad3cb78c0b51.png

If someone took your picture, put it on a t-shirt and for whatever reason they started selling like hotcakes and made the guy millions, you don't think you should get a cut? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Plenty. they would just find other players.   Not all players would just boycott.  Some would take it up for the free education.

Ya know a kid, these days, can get a job right out of HS and the employer will pay for tuition.  On top of it the employer pays the kid a wage.

But you are right.  There will be kids that would go the free education...and to wear that uniform.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Please stop harassing Stlboiler23. He is a good member of this board and is as welcome to post here as anyone. 

Gonna respond to this and then I will let it go.

okay dad. Thanks for putting me in my place.

Welcoming Purdue boy is exactly what’s wrong here. Not picking on this guy, but why should anyone from our most bitter rival be welcome here? Why does anyone here want to hear about anything pertaining to that program? When I was in school, a popular tee shirt of the day said, in all caps, PUCK FURDUE! Shouldn’t that be the mindset of this board? Or, are we gonna be politically correct and accept everyone?

Last I looked, this board is titled HOOSIER Sports Nation.

Won’t ever back anyone here who feels that the Smellermakers deserve to be treated with respect. School, programs or fans.

Edited by Steubenhoosier

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Gonna respond to this and then I will let it go.

okay dad. Thanks for putting me in my place.

Welcoming Purdue boy is exactly what’s wrong here. Not picking on this guy, but why should anyone from our most bitter rival be welcome here? Why does anyone here want to hear about anything pertaining to that program? When I was in school, a popular tee shirt of the day said, in all caps, PUCK FURDUE! Shouldn’t that be the mindset of this board? Or, are we gonna be politically correct and accept everyone?

Last I looked, this board is titled HOOSIER Sports Nation.

Won’t ever back anyone here who feels that the Smellermakers deserve to be treated with respect. School, programs or fans.

You don't have to back him, but you do have to treat the members of this board with respect, per the board rules. 

Constantly harassing Stlboiler23 is not following the board rules. 

• Like 1

I for one, love the diversity of thought and opposing points of view on this board. I like that there are other fans that mix it up with us because last I heard, IU doesn't just play closed-door, intra-squad scrimmages. They play against other schools.

It's the variety, conflict and opposing takes that challenge my own thoughts and opinions; I feel better informed when I discuss things with a broad spectrum of people, rather than keeping it in an echo chamber.

I personally welcome that and anyone willing to share their opinions, if it helps me grow and become more enlightened.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I only dislike Purdue marginally more than the other B1G schools. I might dislike Iowa more, honestly. 

That's kinda a weird one... Iowa? More football driven maybe?

I put the Hawkeyes in with Minnesota and Northwestern as the "vanilla" Big 10 programs.

Very different than the wanna bes/never weres like Purdue and Illinois... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I only dislike Purdue marginally more than the other B1G schools. I might dislike Iowa more, honestly. 

Im curious what did Iowa do? I thought I hated the McCafferies until i watched their documentary on B1G.  I actually like coach a tiny bit, still contemplated punched the oldest boy when I saw him downtown, and can't believe the youngest that had cancer is now a baller and will probably be their 2nd best player.  Mom seems like a great lady. 

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I base my hatred on real things like child and women rape/sodomy.  So there is Michigan state and penn st and all their enablers and all the scum that are going to hell with them.  

Then way below that is rivalry dislike with Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, Oh st, Wisconsin being lumped together closely.  

PSU is for sure #1. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im curious what did Iowa do? I thought I hated the McCafferies until i watched their documentary on B1G.  I actually like coach a tiny bit, still contemplated punched the oldest boy when I saw him downtown, and can't believe the youngest that had cancer is now a baller and will probably be their 2nd best player.  Mom seems like a great lady. 

1. Their former AD screwed us in a bowl game. 

2. Fran McCaffery

3. Their football coach had allegation after allegation of racism.... nothing happened, there's still Indiana kids committing to Iowa. 

4. They absolutely dismantled us as an athletic dept last year. Football, MBB, WBB, and baseball were shlacked by Iowa. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I for one, love the diversity of thought and opposing points of view on this board. I like that there are other fans that mix it up with us because last I heard, IU doesn't just play closed-door, intra-squad scrimmages. They play against other schools.

It's the variety, conflict and opposing takes that challenge my own thoughts and opinions; I feel better informed when I discuss things with a broad spectrum of people, rather than keeping it in an echo chamber.

I personally welcome that and anyone willing to share their opinions, if it helps me grow and become more enlightened.

Agreed

44 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

THIS. I wish more people would allow this type of openness when considering new things that they might have previously disregarded.

Per your words, you went from thinking you hated an entire family, to understanding where they came from and possibly empathizing with them a little bit. Taking the time to consider the "other side" certainly makes things more interesting, imo.

Now, does it excuse rooting for Iowa? Hell no. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1