Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. Their former AD screwed us in a bowl game. 

2. Fran McCaffery

3. Their football coach had allegation after allegation of racism.... nothing happened, there's still Indiana kids committing to Iowa. 

4. They absolutely dismantled us as an athletic dept last year. Football, MBB, WBB, and baseball were shlacked by Iowa. 

Yeah they have a past players putting them on blast for a racist culture and still Indiana kids go there.  It baffles me.  

Fran is entertainment to me.  I think off the court he's a great guy with a great family minus his oldest son, who will still likely grow up and not be as big a douchebag as anyone that leaves Wisconsin's basketball program over the last 15-20 years.  

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Welcoming Purdue boy is exactly what’s wrong here. 

From my perspective, nothing is 'wrong' here.  It's a great board full of people I enjoy discussing things with.  

Personally, I hope HSN never changes from what is is today and always been here.  That 's why I am here and not somewhere else.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

1. Their former AD screwed us in a bowl game. 

2. Fran McCaffery

3. Their football coach had allegation after allegation of racism.... nothing happened, there's still Indiana kids committing to Iowa. 

4. They absolutely dismantled us as an athletic dept last year. Football, MBB, WBB, and baseball were shlacked by Iowa. 

Re number 3, you make a really good point. A lot of their fans were up in arms when Charlie Jones transferred and talked a bunch of crap about Brohm. I’m like, you guys have no room to talk with all the crap that’s been going on behind the scenes re racism allegations. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

THIS. I wish more people would allow this type of openness when considering new things that they might have previously disregarded.

Per your words, you went from thinking you hated an entire family, to understanding where they came from and possibly empathizing with them a little bit. Taking the time to consider the "other side" certainly makes things more interesting, imo.

Now, does it excuse rooting for Iowa? Hell no. lol

I dislike Fran. I don't hate him, I'm sure he's a good father and obviously an above average basketball coach, even at PW5 standards. 

Now with all that being said... F Iowa. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dislike Fran. I don't hate him, I'm sure he's a good father and obviously an above average basketball coach, even at PW5 standards. 

Now with all that being said... F Iowa. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's fun as hell to dunk on him. The Fran-O-Meter is hilarious. 

But ultimately, it comes down to the scoreboard. And like you said, Iowa had our number last year. For me it's Wisconsin, which has seemingly had our number for the better part of 20 years now.

In between the lines, I hope we curb stomp them. (And to keep this on topic, if Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn helps with that, grrrrreat)

Being as I've put my forum boat rocking days behind me, I'll just offer this...

I appreciate what @Steubenhoosier is saying. I've yet to see much from the Purdue or Illinois people on here other than promoting their teams, while subtly denigrating IUs history and somehow trying to make the comparison between their programs and ours. Kinda sad, really.

But, the majority wants their viewpoints, and that's fine. They should expect a certain amount of grief simply by being an interloper on an IU forum. 

But I try to be civil about it now...

Age mellows everything 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I appreciate what @Steubenhoosier is saying. I've yet to see much from the Purdue or Illinois people on here other than promoting their teams, while subtly denigrating IUs history and somehow trying to make the comparison between their programs and ours. Kinda sad, really.

But, the majority wants their viewpoints, and that's fine. They should expect a certain amount of grief simply by being an interloper on an IU forum. 

Age mellows everything 🙂

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952a37fd20ab94fdd80a

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Age mellows everything 🙂

First, I appreciate your perspective! I genuinely mean that. 

Second, I have seen threads where IU got a commit or a big win and Stlboiler23 has been one of the first few posts congratulating us. Thats just one example,, so the idea that he, and a few other opposing fans, just come here to promote their own teams isn't accurate. 

Third, a certain amount of grief, in good fun, is completely fine. We have a lot of fun and good-natured back and forth on here. It's part of what makes HSN such a great community. 

What isn't fine is a poster constantly harassing a fellow poster and saying things like they're making it their mission to drive them from the board. Those things are against our forum rules. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah they have a past players putting them on blast for a racist culture and still Indiana kids go there.  It baffles me.  

Fran is entertainment to me.  I think off the court he's a great guy with a great family minus his oldest son, who will still likely grow up and not be as big a douchebag as anyone that leaves Wisconsin's basketball program over the last 15-20 years.  

I’m going to probably get a ton of blow back on this but in todays climate if there was significant evidence of racist comments or culture in a University much less a sports program I don’t think there is any way possible someone survives that. I can’t imagine there would be a single kid left on that roster much less a coach on his staff that would stand beside the guy. I say that not knowing a single thing about the allegations etc…I do work with an alumni that is pretty tied into the school that when I asked about him had nothing but praise for the coach and basically said you have a few disgruntled ex players etc that had an axe to grind. I take that for whatever it’s worth…which may be nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Second, I have seen threads where IU got a commit or a big win and Stlboiler23 has been one of the first few posts congratulating us. Thats just one example,, so the idea that he, and a few other opposing fans, just come here to promote their own teams isn't accurate. 

Third, a certain amount of grief, in good fun, is completely fine. We have a lot of fun and good-natured back and forth on here. It's part of what makes HSN such a great community. 

What isn't fine is constantly harassing a fellow poster and saying things like you're making it your mission to drive them from the board. Those things are against our forum rules. 

Agreed..haven’t had a problem with nearly any of the visiting fans. At least the ones we are taking about are open and honest about their fandom..and either put their team name or picture in their profile and typically are the first to take their lumps when they lose…unlike a few stealth trolls who pretend to be fans that will remain nameless stirring up arguements. The ones being discussed in this thread I appreciate enormously in adding to the fun banter on the board…the others I would happily support Steuben in running off lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

From my perspective, nothing is 'wrong' here.  It's a great board full of people I enjoy discussing things with.  

Personally, I hope HSN never changes from what is is today and always been here.  That 's why I am here and not somewhere else.

Now THAT is a motivation for change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m going to probably get a ton of blow back on this but in todays climate if there was significant evidence of racist comments or culture in a University much less a sports program I don’t think there is any way possible someone survives that. I can’t imagine there would be a single kid left on that roster much less a coach on his staff that would stand beside the guy. I say that not knowing a single thing about the allegations etc…I do work with an alumni that is pretty tied into the school that when I asked about him had nothing but praise for the coach and basically said you have a few disgruntled ex players etc that had an axe to grind. I take that for whatever it’s worth…which may be nothing.

I'm trying to remember.  Wasn't it a strength coach?  They let him go.  Urban Meyer tried to bring him to Jacksonville and got major blow back and let him go within 1 week, because of the blow back?  I could be way wrong and it could be a different guy. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

What isn't fine is a poster constantly harassing a fellow poster and saying things like they're making it their mission to drive them from the board. Those things are against our forum rules. 

And I appreciate that...

Of course, any visitor should be polite... 

But I do question motive. Simply reeks of insecurity to me. 

@Steubenhoosier does bring up a salient point though... Why don't they go by the same user name here that they do at their home forums? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm trying to remember.  Wasn't it a strength coach?  They let him go.  Urban Meyer tried to bring him to Jacksonville and got major blow back and let him go within 1 week, because of the blow back?  I could be way wrong and it could be a different guy. 

I honestly don’t know the story. I was talking to my co-worker to actually bash Nebraska who we both dislike lol…and the conversation eventually migrated to that. I didn’t want to offend him by being to pointed in my questioning his coach but he seemed to already know where I was headed. Again…means nothing but clearly the way things are protrayed in media might not match the real culture of the program. Like I was saying…I just can’t imagine a single kid would sign on or stay at a program with anything overtly racist being promoted and accepted by the staff. Maybe I’m too trusting or too idealistic but I would think people would stand up to that especially in todays environment.

Edited by dgambill

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And I appreciate that...

Of course, any visitor should be polite... 

But I do question motive. Simply reeks of insecurity to me. 

@Steubenhoosier does bring up a salient point though... Why don't they go by the same user name here that they do at their home forums? 

Aren’t there plenty of IU fans on here who have different usernames on rivals? Could be me assuming but I’d guess it’s pretty common.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Aren’t there plenty of IU fans on here who have different usernames on rivals? Could be me assuming but I’d guess it’s pretty common.

I won’t give a plug nickel to join the G and B forum where you post.
Please go away.

please take your sorry ass PUke perspective to somewhere that people care.

@BGleaswaiting for your chastising

Go IU. 
Why are we patronizing any PUke fans?