Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn - 2023

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It sounds like he was always a possible flight risk. We got a hint within the last day that there were some things going on being the scenes but who knows. Potentially 4 high schools in 4 years isn’t a good look. 

Yea, I also saw QB Rickie Collins decommit too on Monday. Seems like it’s a similar situation with DGL on NIL/Communications

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Yea, I also saw QB Rickie Collins decommit too on Monday. Seems like it’s a similar situation with DGL on NIL/Communications

Collins situation IMO is way different. I think it was simply that a kid that grew up in the shadow of LSU Stadium got wooed by his hometown team. 

Never a good look to lose a top 50 kid from your own backyard no matter how you spin. Painter seems like a good guy for the most part...but if I'm him I'm asking his own fans/alumni, etc.....you have to start helping on the NIL stuff.

If you don't I'll be forced to go into the Brad Underwood business of hitting the portal every single year. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never a good look to lose a top 50 kid from your own backyard no matter how you spin. Painter seems like a good guy for the most part...but if I'm him I'm asking his own fans/alumni, etc.....you have to start helping on the NIL stuff.

If you don't I'll be forced to go into the Brad Underwood business of hitting the portal every single year. 

Not sure how much this is related to NIL tbh. I think there are things going on that would still be there even if NIL weren’t a thing.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure how much this is related to NIL tbh. I think there are things going on that would still be there even if NIL weren’t a thing.  

That would actually be worse. It's easy to blame things on NIL...but if something else? Player development, chance at the league,etc....if I were a Purdue fan I'd want all of this to be blamed on NIL. If it's the other stuff that's actually a worse look.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That would actually be worse. It's easy to blame things on NIL...but if something else? Player development, chance at the league,etc....if I were a Purdue fan I'd want all of this to be blamed on NIL. If it's the other stuff that's actually a worse look.

When it’s family stuff it’s a worse look? 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Our insider just hinted that his family situation is worse than Nojel’s mom lol. 

Correct. Painter shouldn't have been recruiting this kid to begin with.. you all dodged a bullet. 

Honestly, I wanted to talk smack to you about this kid since he committed, but the whole "they're just kids" thing got me.  Lol 

For real Boiler, don't sweat this loss. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

When it’s family stuff it’s a worse look? 

Depends. I'm not up on Purdue recruits family situations but a 5 minute search on Twitter doesn't paint Mom in a good look. Sounds like she's searching for $.....maybe this is your Keion Brooks 2.0....maybe not worth the sweat.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Correct. Painter shouldn't have been recruiting this kid to begin with.. you all dodged a bullet. 

Honestly, I wanted to talk smack to you about this kid since he committed, but the whole "they're just kids" thing got me.  Lol 

For real Boiler, don't sweat this loss. 

I feel like it was one of those situations where if he wasn’t from Lafayette, that wouldn’t have happened. But the look of not recruiting a local kid doesn’t look good. 

You could’ve talked smack for sure haha I can hang. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Depends. I'm not up on Purdue recruits family situations but a 5 minute search on Twitter doesn't paint Mom in a good look. Sounds like she's searching for $.....maybe this is your Keion Brooks 2.0....maybe not worth the sweat.

When I heard his mom was worse than Tamala (Nojel’s mom) I was like yep I’m cool with not being involved. 

• Like 1

FWIW I'm of the same mind @btownqb is, albeit for different reasons...

The kid is on his 3rd high school experience. I watched 4 or 5 Montverde games last year, and I didn't see that much from him. He didn't start, and when he did get in, his shot selection and defense were poor.

I think his college experience will be having the transfer portal on speed dial. And I do think NIL, or lack thereof from Purdue's perspective, did have a hand in his decision.

And if there are family issues, that's the cherry on the sundae... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I feel like it was one of those situations where if he wasn’t from Lafayette, that wouldn’t have happened. But the look of not recruiting a local kid doesn’t look good. 

You could’ve talked smack for sure haha I can hang. 

I try my best not to talk crap about 16 year olds.  That was my point lol 

Either way, I think he was much closer to Lander than he was JHS. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

FWIW I'm of the same mind @btownqb is, albeit for different reasons...

The kid is on his 3rd high school experience. I watched 4 or 5 Montverde games last year, and I didn't see that much from him. He didn't start, and when he did get in, his shot selection and defense were poor.

I think his college experience will be having the transfer portal on speed dial. And I do think NIL, or lack thereof from Purdue's perspective, did have a hand in his decision.

And if there are family issues, that's the cherry on the sundae... 

Your first paragraph is the reason for my thoughts. Plus.. I know a little of the family stuff that Boiler was alluding to. 

He didn't grow up in West Laf, grew up not too far from me. 

Everything you said is spot on to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your first paragraph is the reason for my thoughts. Plus.. I know a little of the family stuff that Boiler was alluding to. 

He didn't grow up in West Laf, grew up not too far from me. 

Everything you said is spot on to me. 

Didn’t realize he didn’t grow up there.