Starting today. July 1. IU has a new AD

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Meh.  Did more for the other sports than he did for Football and Basketball in my opinion.  Great for the overall department but could have done better for the Big 2

I feel that the football program is in its best shape it has been in for years. It is by far in better shape than when Glass took over do to me he did his job well.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Fred Glass awarded President’s Medal for Excellence before retirement - Indiana Daily Student

I know many of you were not fans.  However, in my case. I believe Mr. Glass did a good job.  Not the least of which, was running the department in the black for many years, until the pandemic... unlike his predecessor.

Thoughts ? 

Overall I've been a fan of Fred. No one can question his facility upgrades all over campus. Total transformation. Especially football. Wasn't a fan of how the Wilson dirt went down but agreed with end result. Extension on Crean a tad early but I think he was anxious to get some stability in the program after a decade of new coach after new coach deal...

Ran the program well. Kept us on budget and overall....I'd say a solid B to B+ and believe he's getting out at the perfect time for him. Let someone else build on football, baseball success....and of course he has his guy in Archie. Next step for any AD is managing the tidal wave of making $ off of likeness for their players, university,etc....good time to get out.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel that the football program is in its best shape it has been in for years. It is by far in better shape than when Glass took over do to me he did his job well.

While i don't disagree its in better shape its still a second class citizen in the B1G. There's no reason we shouldn't be a whole lot better with the amount of money this university can pull together.  I just don't understand how we have been irrelevant for the better part of 30 years.  

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Overall I've been a fan of Fred. No one can question his facility upgrades all over campus. Total transformation. Especially football. Wasn't a fan of how the Wilson dirt went down but agreed with end result. Extension on Crean a tad early but I think he was anxious to get some stability in the program after a decade of new coach after new coach deal...

Ran the program well. Kept us on budget and overall....I'd say a solid B to B+ and believe he's getting out at the perfect time for him. Let someone else build on football, baseball success....and of course he has his guy in Archie. Next step for any AD is managing the tidal wave of making $ off of likeness for their players, university,etc....good time to get out.

Mr. Glass stuck his neck out twice on Wilson.  Not just the first night Wilson came on campus, and created a scene at McNutt. But then later, when Wilson got picked up by the Indiana State Police. Mr. Glass promised the police that he would work with Wilson to work on his "issues". Wilson took the classes. And seemed to be getting along. Until Wilson broke the straw, by abusing players. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

While i don't disagree its in better shape its still a second class citizen in the B1G. There's no reason we shouldn't be a whole lot better with the amount of money this university can pull together.  I just don't understand how we have been irrelevant for the better part of 30 years.  

Well I am 49 years old and IU football had always been a second class citizen in big ten football.  You act like we use to be a top tier team but we have never been very competitive.  In over 200 years we have made 12 bowl games.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I am 49 years old and IU football had always been a second class citizen in big ten football.  You act like we use to be a top tier team but we have never been very competitive.  In over 200 years we have made 12 bowl games.

Back in the 90's when we had Vaugh Dunbar and Thompson before that.  We were a decent football program, never a national powerhouse but not the doormat we have been.  Although i think we're getting closer to being a consistent bowl team (although not really tough these days), i can't help but think we hired the wrong coach this time around.  Our offense if very high powered and has ranked very high year over year, but its hard to win when you give up 30+ points a game.  I also see that we don't really adjust well in the second half.  We're in alot of games against good team and then get completely blown out in the second half. 

But i will acknowledge i am not a football expert or anything i am sure you can easily point out holes in my argument.  Just how my gut feels

Oh yeah and Trent Green, i met him at football camp when i was there in summer of 92

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Back in the 90's when we had Vaugh Dunbar and Thompson before that.  We were a decent football program, never a national powerhouse but not the doormat we have been.  Although i think we're getting closer to being a consistent bowl team (although not really tough these days), i can't help but think we hired the wrong coach this time around.  Our offense if very high powered and has ranked very high year over year, but its hard to win when you give up 30+ points a game.  I also see that we don't really adjust well in the second half.  We're in alot of games against good team and then get completely blown out in the second half. 

But i will acknowledge i am not a football expert or anything i am sure you can easily point out holes in my argument.  Just how my gut feels

Oh yeah and Trent Green, i met him at football camp when i was there in summer of 92

I just think you can't blame Glass for the failures of the football program over the years. You say we have.more money now because of the BTN which is correct but so does every other big ten team.  We are still way behind when it comes to revenue from football than most other programs. When you are lucky to get 35,000 per game compared to most getting 80,000 plus.

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Vaughn Dunbar. Haha. There was an envelope left with his name on it in The Tudor Room when I waited on tables. Of course he also rolled up to his Villas friends apartment with gold hubcaps on his Mercedes. That was supposed to be when we were clean, right? 

In terms of Allen I'll say this. He's got IU in the absolute best position we've been in ever. In state kids wanting to play at IU, out of state reach in hot bed recruiting states....and a team that is on the verge of 8 win campaigns every season. I can't find a reason to complain about IU Football and it's current trajectory right now and most of that is because Glass got the penny pinchers that is our Administration to start spending. Don't underestimate what our coaches have been up against.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

"I peg you as a glass half empty kinda guy."  😁

I hope that the football program is on the right track, but I don’t discount how difficult it is to recruit top football talent to IU.  If you are a highly rated recruit there are a lot of high visibility, prestigious programs out there.

we used to have cheers like: “Hold em offense”, when I was there.

Maybe part of the historic struggles of being second class B1G football citizens is related to the fact that here on HSN we have >157k posts and <2.3k posts for the basketball and football discussion boards respectively.

Having lived in non-Indiana B1G footprints, I actually think that second class citizen is a little high for our historic esteem 😀... places like Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State... maybe Purdue are historically considered second class citizens.

Honestly the program has been stronger than usual lately. In 10 years making a bowl will be expected. 

Archived