Pitino and other coaches

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29394510/iona-coach-rick-pitino-says-ncaa-consider-pushing-college-basketball-season-january

Looks like some college basketball coaches would like to move the start date back to January and only play conference games.   I know that this wouldn't effect the power conference teams as much by but this would ruin the programs of the smaller conferences.  Most of them get most of their money from going on the road in the non conference so if they can't do this it could cause these sports programs to go under.  Also I would hate not seeing IU play in Maui this year because I think this team could do well over there.

I actually think it would hurt Power 5 teams in regards to making the tournament.  While the SOS may be an overriding factor, I could see a 2nd place team from a mid-major getting invited to the tournament with a 16-4 record over a Big Ten team with a 10-10 record.  

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I heard he is staying out of Italian restaurants during pandemic but not Italian women. 

I heard he told his players that if they were to take themselves out or a potential recruit out to any dancing establishments that they should were a 😷 mask...but not that he is condoning it

I actually agree with Pitino...

Right now, we don't know much about a timeline regarding treatment and vaccine. So basing any opening on medical discoveries seems dumb.  In addition, God knows everyone is really itching to see sports.

But if we do get better specifics about either a vaccine or treatment, and it's clear that things will be getting safer soon, why not wait?

It's not just basketball- think about school.  If a vaccine and/or treatment has been verified in December or January- but needs time to be produced and distributed- why not take a month off of school and add extra time in June?  Why go to school or play basketball when it's dangerous if you know it will be significantly safer in a month?

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I actually think it would hurt Power 5 teams in regards to making the tournament.  While the SOS may be an overriding factor, I could see a 2nd place team from a mid-major getting invited to the tournament with a 16-4 record over a Big Ten team with a 10-10 record.  

And what exactly determines the SOS?

It might happen...but I'm not sure pushing the season back is going to make things any better...I mean is January going to be COVID free any more so than Nov? We just have to learn to live with the virus for now. Besides, I'm sure with the big TV contracts they want to get in as many games as possible. If your going to push it back might as well push it into the spring and try to finish it say by July when the NBA would be hitting playoffs.

I think what happens with the NBA is important.  If the NBA is unable to pull off the rest of the season within a very controlled environment, I would say that pro and college sports are done for 2020 unless there is a miracle and COVID-19 just goes away.

Starting CB in Jan. of 2021 would still be up in the air. 

9 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think what happens with the NBA is important.  If the NBA is unable to pull off the rest of the season within a very controlled environment, I would say that pro and college sports are done for 2020 unless there is a miracle and COVID-19 just goes away.

Starting CB in Jan. of 2021 would still be up in the air. 

In terms of the Denver Nuggets.  Their star player. Jokic. Was struck with the virus.  And still is in Serbia.  The team is scheduled to be in Florida next week.  And the Nuggets have no idea if or when Jokic will be able to join the team. Or even how to get him to the U.S. at this point in time.

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of the Denver Nuggets.  Their star player. Jokic. Was struck with the virus.  And still is in Serbia.  The team is scheduled to be in Florida next week.  And the Nuggets have no idea if or when Jokic will be able to join the team. Or even how to get him to the U.S. at this point in time.

If I were Jokic, I would not be interested in flying to the U.S. to stay in a state that now has over 3000 more Covid-19 cases more than most of East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and Western Europe combined which constitutes @2.6 billion people.  No thanks.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

If I were Jokic, I would not be interested in flying to the U.S. to stay in a state that now has over 3000 more Covid-19 cases more than most of East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and Western Europe combined which constitutes @2.6 billion people.  No thanks.

Nuggies are thinking about using a private jet. However. Jokic's health remains in question.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Nuggies are thinking about using a private jet. However. Jokic's health remains in question.

I just read that 2 of the Heat players tested positive, and the  Heat have shut down individual work-outs.

Just now, slojoe said:

I just read that 2 of the Heat players tested positive, and the  Heat have shut down individual work-outs.

Gotta think that the NBA is pushing this thing.  Especially as more states are rolling back openings.... which is happening in Colorado.

Archived