Open question for the 4th of July.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of good choices already stated. 

The system put into place by our founders was brilliant.  People here are free to follow their own beliefs so long as you’re not hurting others.  That freedom has created the best mix of diverse people that have assimilated that the world has ever known.  We can be that shining example of coming together regardless of background, relating as people, not just a tribe.  Most of the rest of the world is pretty homogenous.  By definition, our people come from anywhere.  

I doubt this is scientifically valid, but the people who came over here had to be the most adventurous ones, by definition.  Imagine the risk they took to come here, leaving their ancestry, etc.  They didn’t stay safe in whatever hamlet their family had been in.  They were the ones who took a risk and reached for something greater.  And it could be literally from anywhere in the world.  Those genes get passed down and that’s what the makeup of our people is. 

Our educational system is phenomenal.  Certainly our colleges and universities are the envy of the world and give us a huge competitive advantage.

I will throw in our entrepreneurial spirit, where capital markets function with ingenious founders with an idea to have us consistently and perpetually on the leading edge of the world economy.  

Historically, we are a country that sees a problem and attacks it.  In the current circumstance, I’d say we have the best shot at coming up with a vaccine, because that’s how we roll.  

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Lots of good choices already stated. 

The system put into place by our founders was brilliant.  People here are free to follow their own beliefs so long as you’re not hurting others.  That freedom has created the best mix of diverse people that have assimilated that the world has ever known.  We can be that shining example of coming together regardless of background, relating as people, not just a tribe.  Most of the rest of the world is pretty homogenous.  By definition, our people come from anywhere.  

I doubt this is scientifically valid, but the people who came over here had to be the most adventurous ones, by definition.  Imagine the risk they took to come here, leaving their ancestry, etc.  They didn’t stay safe in whatever hamlet their family had been in.  They were the ones who took a risk and reached for something greater.  And it could be literally from anywhere in the world.  Those genes get passed down and that’s what the makeup of our people is. 

Our educational system is phenomenal.  Certainly our colleges and universities are the envy of the world and give us a huge competitive advantage.

I will throw in our entrepreneurial spirit, where capital markets function with ingenious founders with an idea to have us consistently and perpetually on the leading edge of the world economy.  

Historically, we are a country that sees a problem and attacks it.  In the current circumstance, I’d say we have the best shot at coming up with a vaccine, because that’s how we roll.  

Speaking of education.  There was this guy. Who I was educated under his system in Gary, Indiana :

William Wirt (educator) 

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Got a feeling this topic won't last very long because it will turn political.  Just remember we all started out as immigrants except for the native Americans.  I think Lincoln is one of the best Americans since he help put an end to slavery.

I cant help but correct a historical inaccuracy.  The Americas were uninhabited until Paleo- Indians crossed the Beringia land bridge(from modern day Siberia) about 40,000 years ago during the late Pleistocene era. 

Nobody has stolen land from anyone.  Land is conquered and has been since the beginning of human history.  

And this new BS about Mt Rushmore.  They should talk to the French first because Thomas Jefferson bought that land from the French in this deal called the Louisiana Purchase.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I cant help but correct a historical inaccuracy.  The Americas were uninhabited until Paleo- Indians crossed the Beringia land bridge(from modern day Siberia) about 40,000 years ago during the late Pleistocene era. 

Nobody has stolen land from anyone.  Land is conquered and has been since the beginning of human history.  

And this new BS about Mt Rushmore.  They should talk to the French first because Thomas Jefferson bought that land from the French in this deal called the Louisiana Purchase.

This is kinda political.  We don't really need it on the 4th.  Do we?   😊

🇺🇸

The simple fact that I can wake up every morning and take all my freedoms for granted. I can also complain about those freedoms but what separates this great country from so many others IMO are the men and women WILLING to give their life to protect those very freedoms. American is the land of the free because of those sacrifices.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

The simple fact that I can wake up every morning and take all my freedoms for granted. I can also complain about those freedoms but what separates this great country from so many others IMO are the men and women WILLING to give their life to protect those very freedoms. American is the land of the free because of those sacrifices.  

mile high salute to this !

So many great Americans willing to serve, in the past and still to today.

Archived