Pizza.

Favorite is Chicago thin crust pizza (have heard it called tavern style as well) - that’s really the true Chicago pizza (that’s what all the old neighborhood bars and pizza places serve in many parts of the city). 

Vito and Nick’s, as mentioned above, it the best-known example, but lots of other local ones. Flo Santos is a good, newer, well-known option. 

Thin, crisp, cooked in a big gas pizza oven (usually). 

39 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Anybody ever have a Papa Murphy’s? I’ve read some good reviews! They are a made from scratch bake yourself.

We had one where we used to live. The regular pizzas are alright, but they had this excellent one with chicken, tomatoes and green onion with a garlic white sauce - it ended up being the only one we got from Papa Murphys. 

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Funny to me pizza story. I worked at a really crappy pizza place called Mr. Gattis for a couple years in high school.  Had an arcade.  But the main attraction was the 54" tv.  The Amish absolutely love IU basketball.  Whenever they showed up for 9pm games, after we had cleaned up, the manager would make us fire up the oven and reset the buffet.  So one night I told the pizza cutter to cut the cheese but not the crust. 

Watching them saw at the crust with dull spatulas was my revenge. 

Ha, man Mr. Gattis is a blast from the past. Me and a friend used to destroy some pizza at that place after wrestling practice!

• Like 2

I will fight somebody over what’s the best deep dish pizza. I’ve put a lot of thought into this over the years so if you want to debate me you better come at me guns blazing. 😎

First, I’ve talked to many people who have developed a negative opinion on deep dish because they either get imposter pizza outside of Chicago or have tried Pizzeria Uno (barf) Or Connies (double barf). If this sounds like you, then give it another try. 

The best Chicago Deep dish is made with the CORNMEAL CRUST. That’s right, you hear me lovers of Girodanos. I’m sorry, but doughy crust with all that cheese and all that sauce just throws off the ratio and it lacks crispiness. We’re supposed to be eating pizza not triangle shaped lasagna.

That leaves you with Lou Malnatis (1A On my list) and Ginos East (1B On my list). Both have great pepperoni and amazing sausage. Lou Malnati’s gets the nod because they have ‘The Lou’ which is a tomato, spinach, mushroom pizza. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I will fight somebody over what’s the best deep dish pizza. I’ve put a lot of thought into this over the years so if you want to debate me you better come at me guns blazing. 😎

First, I’ve talked to many people who have developed a negative opinion on deep dish because they either get imposter pizza outside of Chicago or have tried Pizzeria Uno (barf) Or Connies (double barf). If this sounds like you, then give it another try. 

The best Chicago Deep dish is made with the CORNMEAL CRUST. That’s right, you hear me lovers of Girodanos. I’m sorry, but doughy crust with all that cheese and all that sauce just throws off the ratio and it lacks crispiness. We’re supposed to be eating pizza not triangle shaped lasagna.

That leaves you with Lou Malnatis (1A On my list) and Ginos East (1B On my list). Both have great pepperoni and amazing sausage. Lou Malnati’s gets the nod because they have ‘The Lou’ which is a tomato, spinach, mushroom pizza. 

I'll second Lou Malnatis.  Haven't had Ginos but I think they have one in Indy now, would like to try it sometime.  Also, Lou's has really good salads and their dressing is awesome. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We had he art of Pizza and Lou Malnati's the last time we were in Chicago.  IN  DC We the pizza was excellent 

53 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Gino’s! 
said it above we used to do road trips to Gino’s East 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, man Mr. Gattis is a blast from the past. Me and a friend used to destroy some pizza at that place after wrestling practice!

Used to love going to Gattis. Had one right up the road from me when I was growing up. Great place and I wish they never closed that store. I think the closest one is now in Martinsville, if that one is still open.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Malnati's is the best deep dish in Chicago, but I still have to be talked into going...Now, Home Run Inn for just regular pizza is my favorite in Chicagoland...

Any of the other Artesians around here remember Tiny's pizza? Maybe it was the lack of competition, but ol Tiny Stanton rolled out a pretty fine pie back in the day...

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IN  DC We the pizza was excellent

In DC I always liked π Pizza. In the Atlantic City area try Pizza City in Egg Harbor Twsp...

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'll second Lou Malnatis.  Haven't had Ginos but I think they have one in Indy now, would like to try it sometime.  Also, Lou's has really good salads and their dressing is awesome. 

Every franchise joint in Chicago has made it's way to Indy over the last decade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Anybody ever have a Papa Murphy’s? I’ve read some good reviews! They are a made from scratch bake yourself.

We get Papa Murphy's often.  Ten dollar Tuesday. And they will create a pizza any way you want it.  Comes out of the oven hot.  And in that respect. Better than any delivery.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Best frozen pizza? 

I'm showing my frugal side. As a few mentioned earlier in thread. Jack's is fine by me. If I hit the Monon hard $2.79 3 Meat from Kroger is fine by me. Again...not a pizza guy so I'm good with whatever as long as it doesn't resemble Sunday dinner during Goodfellas.

• Like 1