High School Hoops '20-'21

On 2/6/2021 at 5:08 PM, TheWatShot said:

I was at a game this afternoon where a player caught the ball and hopped sideways, and was correctly called for traveling. Props to the ref who made the call. A couple kids sitting near me couldn't understand why it was a travel. Once again, f*ck AAU, just because. 

I think officials are incredibly, incredibly poor at calling travels. Essentially, coaches and players want very few travels called. Refs just aren't good at it. 

Less is more when it comes to officiating. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 8:04 AM, 5fouls said:

Did the coach of the team who made the shot remind them?  I think I've seen it once, but the coach was all over it.  The refs covered their arse by saying it was on the floor.  

I probably get my best shooter to the FT line once every 5 games because the refs and the other coach weren't paying attention to who got fouled. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We had a big time week last week. 

Winning at Connersville in OT, winning at New Albany in 2OT and besting Floyd Central on a 3 with 1.2 secs left. Shew. 

My JV team beat a previously undefeated FC team on Sat, as well. Big week. 

Impressive win against the Floyd JV..  Silver Creek's JV was 11-2 going into last night, including wins against Jeff, New Albany, and both Bloomington schools.  Floyd's JV whipped SC by 21 points.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

Impressive win against the Floyd JV..  Silver Creek's JV was 11-2 going into last night, including wins against Jeff, New Albany, and both Bloomington schools.  Floyd's JV whipped SC by 21 points.  

Their JV team had 3 dunks in the 1st q of a game this year lol 

We actually out rebounded them. I've got some football players on my JV team.. we just half court trap and run 5 out on offense. We probably avg 10 off rebs a game, thankfully, because we can't shoot. 

• Haha 1

Gotta give some props to the local team. South Decatur recently lost a few games due to Covid. What does the smallest 2A team in the state do but schedule  two 4A teams Columbus North and Columbus East back to back on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. They got blown out by North but pounded East by 30. Lane Lauderbaugh the schools all time leading scorer and rebounder a 6'5 guard scored 49 against East. Last year I think they could have made a serious run for the championship in 2A this year maybe not but still fun to watch. Congrats Coach Wildey and the Cougars.

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Gotta give some props to the local team. South Decatur recently lost a few games due to Covid. What does the smallest 2A team in the state do but schedule  two 4A teams Columbus North and Columbus East back to back on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. They got blown out by North but pounded East by 30. Lane Lauderbaugh the schools all time leading scorer and rebounder a 6'5 guard scored 49 against East. Last year I think they could have made a serious run for the championship in 2A this year maybe not but still fun to watch. Congrats Coach Wildey and the Cougars.

Saw earlier this week where Columbus North had to cancel the rest of their regular season.  Appears that you guys got to play them just in time.  

North boys basketball in quarantine until sectional (therepublic.com)

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Did you know FCs HC is a Brownstown guy? I broke a couple of his HS records in football. He played QB too. 

Was the HC at U of I for a while, as well. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did you know FCs HC is a Brownstown guy? I broke a couple of his HS records in football. He played QB too. 

Was the HC at U of I for a while, as well. 

Did not know that.  He's done a good job resurrecting the program.  It had fallen off significantly after Joe Hinton left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think officials are incredibly, incredibly poor at calling travels. Essentially, coaches and players want very few travels called. Refs just aren't good at it. 

Less is more when it comes to officiating. 

I seem to remember an FSU game where a few more travels would be better lol....kinda just depends on which side of the coin you are on. I’m more of the foul issue...but it seems like the B1G officials have a memo that every game is a rivalry game and they want to keep emotions in check so we are going to call it close....then down the stretch they either foul everyone out or they decide they don’t want to effect the outcome and swallow their whistle....which in effect does effect the outcome. All in all I’d like them to clean up the calls in and around the basket...let guys go a little more away from the basket and for the love of God stop calling so many charges. It’s almost always a blocking foul...guys are almost always sliding under a player after they’ve committed to the air or shot. Hate it but seems officials love love love the charging call. Maybe we switch the signal for it to something really stupid so they think twice about calling it...I sometimes think they get a boner when they get to call it.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Top one is basketball, bottom one is football. 

My HS in the top 10 in each. Two HOF coaches in those sports and another one in volleyball. 

Screenshot_20210212-111236_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210212-112013_Facebook.jpg

Bloomington South must've dropped off quite a bit in football the last 15 years. When I was in HS (Bloomington North) in the 90s they were a very good team, pretty much ranked in the top 5 or 10 seemingly every year. I think that continued into the 00s.